ONCE UPON XANARUS

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story that involves love at first sight.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

ONCE UPON XANARUS


            The sun was warm as Jaymel left home and started his daily trek to school.  A sweet melody from nearby birds added to the pleasure already derived from the sun’s greeting and he slowed his pace to savor the moment since he was early and should have no problem arriving on time for the Premier Quadrant.

            Today will be a happy day he thought while finding a comfortable position for his school data that he carried in a small satchel his mother made for him.  He could often tell whether or not it would be an enjoyable day merely from the initial events that evolved.  This morning, his eyes opened easily, his walk was steady, and all the necessities of awakening flowed nicely without incident.  As usual, his mother insisted that he take breakfast and, as usual, Jaymel refused all but a small glass of nectar.  Pleasantly enough, his mother did not persist and Jaymel left the house filled with good humor.

            As well as the day had started, Jaymel thought today might just be the day he could make some headway with the new girl who had recently moved into the canton and started school at Daxania only two weeks before.  Her name was Enjenia and she spoke with an accent uncharacteristic of the canton.  Besides her attractive velvet, waist-length black hair and smooth olive complexion, it was her accent – the mystique of the alien – that drew him to her.  

There were others in the sector who were as pretty as Enjenia, yet they did not possess her allure.

            As his thought returned to the present, he was only several hundred meters from his destination.  Over the Antarian Interchange (a heavily trafficked area in eastern Xanarus), across the athletic areas and the monolithic cobalite columns of Daxania stood within view.  It was a beautiful day as the sun warmed the air, continuing its steady run from one horizon to the other.  If such a day were to occur during the colder season, it might prompt the most conscientious student to become gravely ill and seek recuperation at the nearest rondo court, or just laze away the day at the shore.  However, Xanarian warm periods were consistent so that one could rely on nice conditions for whatever one had in mind in the realm of outdoor activity.  Rondo was Jaymel’s favorite pastime, a game that consisted of a small ball made of rubber that was hit with the hand over a net to an opponent who must return the ball over the net.  Players’ hands were covered by rigid, plastic gloves and the objective was the rondor stationed on the court (two poles backed by mesh). Generally, there were two to three players on each side and no one could be positioned in front of the rondor or within ten feet of either pole.  The court was not very large, forty by fifty meters in size.  If the ball could be blasted past the opponents into the rondor, a point was scored.  It was not a complex game, but there was always keen competition and low-scoring, especially when three players were on a team.  Then passing and strategy were more prevalent than power and speed, making the competition livelier.

            Jaymel had seen the best players only the week before in a professional tournament (professional teams always used three players on a side) and he aspired to reach such skill at some future point.  He had wanted to ask Enjenia to attend the match with him but he did not know her well enough to ascertain her like or dislike of the game.  Besides, he was low on funds.

            A bell rang shrilly breaking into Jaymel’s reverie.  He checked his wristlet and noted that only five divisions remained before the next bell when he must be seated in session. Tardiness was frowned upon by the proctors and mentors at Daxania.   Jaymel had narrowly missed being tardy several days over the last two weeks.  He associated his distraction with his recent attention cast toward Enjenia.  

            Jaymel dashed through the first floor portal past the miniature replica of the Battle of Daxania during the Millenic Conflict, up the staircase to the second floor, and then briskly to the north sector, Room D-210.  Entering the room, he saw most of the savants milling about within their normal cliques, ignoring any and all occurrences until the clang of the second bell sent them scurrying to their respective seats.  He went over to see one of his friends, Altien, who was standing in the back of the room by the neutralizer.

            “Hey, Al,” Jaymel greeted his friend.  “What happened?”

            Altien was disconsolate.  “I did my homework and left it outside by the particle sensor.  Well, as Fate would have it, some of the moisture from the sensor ruined my data port so I was hoping the neutralizer could correct the problem and retrieve the information.”

            “Why not just let Mr. Zynadias know?” Jaymel offered.  “At least then you will have alerted him to what happened in case he checks your information on the board.”

            Mr. Zynadias stood behind the podium, poring over what was likely some sort of bulletin, transmitted by the local Regent chastising the atrocious conditions that existed at Daxania; or possibly from the Head Mentor to fill the monthly quota for office directives.  In any case, it was none of Jaymel’s concern.  If the correspondence pertained to him, he would know sooner or later.  

             “OK, my eager savants, time to begin from where we left off yesterday,” Mr. Zynadias stated.  Jaymel stored his data in the programmer at his position while Mr. Zynadias droned on.  He turned from side to side to locate Enjenia.  She was not in the room and he wondered if her thoughts had directed her to the seaside on such a wonderful day…or maybe even the Rondo courts!

Several of the savants were still getting to their stations.  There were twenty savants in the class and the Premier Quadrant served as a period for roll call and review of materials covered in the previous day’s sessions.  Daxania was unique since the Premier Quadrant in other institutions did not go into the depth of discussion but rather used the entire quadrant for

bulletins, addresses from the Council, or other trivialities that belonged somewhere in the political arena or daily data journal instead of an educational facility.  

Jaymel especially enjoyed the Premier Quadrant, although it ran only centimeters ahead of the Science Quadrant, another of his favorites.  Perhaps it was because Mr. Zynadias seemed so in tune with current events, understanding in most cases, patient and firm when necessary, and open to controversy and contradiction, tempered with a joie de vivre that was infectious.  It also helped that many of Jaymel’s ideas were parallel to those of Mr. Zynadias, perhaps even colored by them.

With all the savants in proper position, Mr. Zynadias began the session.  “Today, to initiate the Premier Quadrant, we have a directive from the Head Mentor concerning activities that will take place at Daxania.”  He cleared his throat in a derisive manner, a sly grin 

playing on his lips.  “There will be a Rondo tournament for individuals and teams,” he continued.  “Registration will take place after all quadrants today in the Quandom.  Information will be distributed upon registration.”

            “A play by…” Mr. Zynadias waded through the remainder of the missive in a disinterested monotone.  Jaymel’s attention strayed toward the entry portal, then toward Enjenia’s position.  Just when everything seemed ideal for an encounter with Enjenia, she fails to attend sessions, he thought.  

            As Jaymel’s thoughts turned to the upcoming Rondo tournament, the entry portal creaked ajar, then swung fully open as Enjenia entered the room.  All eyes turned toward her.

            “Excuse me for being tardy, Mr. Zynadias,” she spoke softly, “but the MotoPath was in a state of disrepair and ran later than usual.”

            Mr. Zynadias acknowledged Enjenia’s excuse and directed her to be seated.  “Don’t worry,” he added quickly, “you didn’t miss anything unless you’re interested in joining a Rondo tournament.”  He grinned, Enjenia blushed, and the rest of the savants laughed casually.

            Jaymel glanced at Enjenia, glad to see her, and, as usual, entranced by her.  She smiled in return and he was elated.  The day seemed as bright as ever!

            Several more items graced the bulletin and Mr. Zynadias hurriedly read through them.  At the conclusion, everyone gave an audible sigh of relief.  Mr. Zynadias took roll call and only two of the savants were absent.

            The interesting portion of the quadrant soon followed, the review of the preceding day’s subjects.  Jaymel turned his thoughts from Enjenia since he wanted to ask a question that had intrigued him from the Humanities Quadrant.  He pressed the indicator on his programmer and noticed that there were several other questions on the screen.  One question covered the territorial rights that were part of each canton’s authority and district rule.  Another dealt with cosmic research and its effect on biological order and the integrity of the universe.  Calmly and efficiently, Mr. Zynadias detailed each area, occasionally interjecting interesting sidelights of his own that pertained to the question.  Completely engrossed by each of the topics, Jaymel was caught by surprise when Mr. Zynadias addressed his inquiry.

            “Oh, yes sir,” Jaymel stammered.  “I almost forgot I had a call on.”  He regrouped his thoughts and proceeded.  “Somewhat parallel to the topic of cosmic research and biological order, yesterday in Humanities Quadrant we were discussing the evolution of our species, our world, and the possible existence of life as we know it on other worlds.  The evolution seems incomplete, a sort of missing link to the past that science cannot explain.  Can it be that we owe our existence to beings beyond the scope of our imagination?  Is it possible that we can exist in different worlds, possessed by the identical psyche in each at the same point in time?  I do not understand why, with all our alleged ability in cosmic research, we cannot decipher the universe. 

What is the dividing point between actual fact and mere speculation?”  Jaymel finished, almost out of breath, as all the savants strained with interest for the response.

            Mr. Zynadias pondered the questions a moment then replied.  “You have quite a few concerns here, Jaymel.  It is a fact that our civilization was originated by pioneers from another area of our solar system so life on other worlds is or was likely.  These pioneers were transported by an advanced transport-communication process that serves as a basic structure for many of our own practical everyday devices, such as the MotoPath.  Whether or not biological life still exists there is uncertain for we have not sought to delve into reasons for their emigration.  Perhaps it was overcrowding of the planet, or escape from annihilation, or even fleeing extinction brought about by their inability to adjust to the mutable universe.  Yet, we transgress to a philosophical and even psychological plane in what could easily be discerned as existing in two places at once.  Physically, we know that is not presently possible, even in this era of corporal dissociation.  However, each of our psyches can develop its own identity and transport itself to wherever and whenever we please.  That is the beauty of the unlimited mind for existence is where we wish to 

be and our only restraint is our inability to think or, woefully, our refusal to think.  So why leave it to scientists to decipher the universe – to program us like automatons – when we ourselves can find any world we wish, at any point in time, with capabilities that are truly within our imagination?”  Mr. Zynadias raised his eyebrows in a manner that questioned Jaymel’s confused expression.

Hesitantly, Jaymel asked, “Then truly our scientific data is limited.  Do we know nothing more than these facts?”

“I’m afraid this is all the history science has been able to accumulate to date,” Mr. Zynadias replied.  “The pioneers came from what was then the third planet from the 

sun, many light years away.  The planet was known as Earth and what has become of it is anyone’s guess.”

            Earth, Jaymel mused.  What a bizarre name!  His inquisitive mind spanned the light years and became lost in thought.  He looked over at Enjenia, smiled, and returned to his daydream.  Could life on what was once Earth be any better than now?




November 17, 2019 22:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.