0 comments

Thriller

Becca:


Yeah, I can tell you exactly what happened that night, but I don't know if you'll believe me.


The day started out with Nicole, Debbie, Alyssa and me picking Lena up from the airport. She'd spent most of the summer in Europe, and since there were still a couple more weeks before school started up again the five of us decided to go camping together at my patents' vacation cabin in the woods. So we piled into my mom's minivan, which I had to beg her to let me borrow, and after scooping Lena up from the airport we headed off.


I don't know if the others noticed or not but I could immediately tell that something was wrong with Lena. She was talking constantly and rapidly, almost manic. I know she had a lot to tell us about her trip and she was probably somewhat jet-lagged as well, but even at the time I felt like there was something going on with her.


It was late afternoon by the time we got to the cabin. After we unloaded our things I suggested that we go for a hike. Lena said she was tired and not feeling very well so she wanted to take a nap. That was all right with me, but I was a little annoyed when Alyssa decided to stay at the cabin with Lena. I mean, the whole point of this trip was for the five of us to spend time together.


So Nicole, Debbie and I geared up for a hike. I let Debbie be in charge of the compass, which turned out to be a mistake. She obviously had no idea how to use a compass. It's her fault that we got lost and were wandering around in the woods until the moon came up.


There was a full moon that night, much larger and brighter than it had any right to look. I found it a little disconcerting myself, but I didn't see any reason to have a full-on panic attack like Nicole seemed to be doing.


If it hadn't been for the moon it would have been pitch black by the time we finally made it back to the cabin.


The first thing I noticed was that the cabin door had been torn all the way off and was lying on the grass several feet away from the cabin among bits of splintered wood and broken hinges. It's a little embarrassing to admit this now, but my initial thought was about how angry my parents were going to be about the damage to their property.


Inside the cabin Alyssa was lying in a spreading pool of dark red blood that looked almost black in the uncertain lighting. Her head was just at the point of being severed, still attached by one or two tendons. Her body was a mass of deep gashes, like she'd been attacked by some kind of wild animal.


Lena was nowhere in sight.


That's all I really know. Like I said, you probably won't believe me.


***


Nicole:


I guess I can try to tell you what happened, but I'm not really sure

what happened, exactly.


When Becca, Debbie, Alyssa and I picked Lena up at the airport she was acting kind of weird. Jittery and nervous, like. She didn't seem to be herself at all. I think we all knew there was something strange going on with her but none of us said anything.


When we got to Becca's parents' cabin Lena said she wanted to lie down for a little bit. Alyssa offered to stay with her, which didn't surprise me much. Alyssa had always been closer to Lena than the rest of us. I've always sort of suspected that they were a couple, but I never asked.


Becca was pissed that the two of them didn't want to come on a hike with us. She's always been a little bit of a control freak. We sometimes refer to her as Bossy Becca. But never to her face, of course.


Debbie wanted to guide us with the compass but she ended up getting us lost in the woods.


Becca was already in a bad mood so she got really mad at Debbie and was blaming her for basically everything. I tried to stand up for her but when Becca's in that kind of mood you really can't make her see reason.


I started getting really scared and panicky because I've had a reoccurring nightmare since childhood about being lost in the woods with something chasing me. I know Becca thought I was being silly and irrational but I couldn't help it.


The full moon just added to my panic. Yes, it provided some light, but it was also huge and somehow ominous looking. It appeared close enough to reach out and touch, but I'm sure that was my imagination.


We did eventually make it back to the cabin but it was a mess. The door had been broken off and thrown into the grass.


Inside, Alyssa was lying dead in a pool of her own blood. No, I can't describe what state her body was in. I didn't look that closely. I had to run back outside and throw up.


We looked everywhere for Lena but she was gone.


***


Debbie:


First of all, I don't know the others quite as well as they know each other. I just made friends with them last year when I transferred from another high school.


Becca immediately struck me as the 'leader' of the friends circle. She was the one who had done most of the planning for our camping trip.


When the four of us picked Lena up from the airport I could tell something was off. Lena's always been very talkative, but I'd never heard her talk that fast or sound quite that excitable before. But she also seemed exhausted or like she didn't feel well. I'm not sure what was wrong with her.


When we got to the cabin Lena said she wanted to take a nap. Alyssa stayed behind with her, which upset Bossy Becca.


Becca, Nicole and I decided to go for a hike. I asked if I could use the compass. I thought I remembered how to navigate with a compass from when I was in the Girl Scouts but I was obviously wrong because I somehow managed to get us turned around and walking in the wrong direction.


I know it was my mistake, but Becca yelling at me didn't help the situation. Nicole tried to calm her down but she stayed mad.


When the full moon rose Nicole started getting really scared for some reason. When I asked her if she was okay she mumbled something about a dream but didn't elaborate.


I was just glad the moon was full so we could see where we were going. We hadn't brought a flashlight or anything because we'd been planning on getting back before dark.


When we got back to the cabin the door had been torn off the hinges and thrown aside. Becca was freaking out about what her parents would say.


When we went inside we saw Alyssa's body lying on the floor. Her head had been separated from her neck and her right arm was missing. Here whole body looked like it had been scratched or chewed up by a wild animal. Maybe a wolf?


Lena wasn't anywhere in or near the cabin.


***


Lena:


Why are you asking me all these questions? I don't remember anything.


Yes, I remember my friends picking me up from the airport. I'd just come back from a summer trip to Europe. I didn't feel that well. Kind of feverish. Jet-lag, I guess. But we'd been looking forward to this camping trip for weeks and I didn't want to cancel.


I thought maybe the way I felt had something to do with the big stray dog that bit me the day before. It wasn't a deep bite and only required a few stitches, but I was a little scared that it might be getting infected. I didn't say anything though because I didn't want to worry the others.


By the time we got to the cabin I was starting to feel really sick so I went to take a nap. Alyssa offered to stay with me in case I needed help.


I started feeling more and more feverish as it got closer to sunset.


I don't know what happened then. I guess I blacked out. I can't remember anything else.

May 03, 2020 18:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.