1 comment

General

It's been years since I last saw my four best friends and this weekend was going to be very much needed. Bethany is a lawyer, Joey is at Teacher, Gabe is well….. let's just say a people's person, and lastly my sweet Karen owns her own bakery. And then there's me Shontae, I'm the only one with kids and a spouse. I work as a full time writer. Imagine trying to get work done with a 1 and 3 year old around. We met in college 6 years ago, the good ol days when time stood still. Parties and alcohol was our motto not a single care in the world, so when Gabe reached out to me I knew I had to accept. The nights were getting colder as I snuggled in my husband's arms. Gabe wanted to get a cottage with just the crew and everyone had RSVP. "Finally," Friday was here! To say I was excited would be an understatement. The drive was 3 hours away at a cottage called The Mayberry. Our rule had always been nothing was off the table, as I pulled up there were 3 cars in the driveway. I never thought I would be so nervous to be around my friends but time had flown  away from us. Taking a deep breath I got out of my car and went to the trunk to collect my things. The door swung up to the cottage and out came Bethany and Gabe. I knew you were going to drive that truck Bethany replied, I looked at her with a wide smile, u no me so well. As we approached the door I saw a sticky note that read 2 drinks per person before entering. I should have known Gabe would be up to no good. You would have thought my face was on fire from the look he gave me. I'm talking about Joey, my first college boyfriend, the one I thought I was going to marry. He slowly made his way downstairs, hey beautiful  long time no see. This man was still so handsome, hi I replied as I embraced him with a hug. Where is Karen I asked? Late as usual but she will be here, said Bethany. We settled into our rooms and got acquainted with the rest of the cottage. The snow was coming down outside as we huddled around the fireplace, reminiscing on the good ol days. I'm here she "yelled"  we jumped up to greet Karen at the door. Unpack your stuff in then get your butt back down here time to play some games big mouth Gabe said. Laughter filled the little cottage, as we took turns playing truth or dare. The thing about us was nothing was off limits when we got together, you had to tell the truth are take 4 shots. By the end of the night nobody was making it up those stairs. We ordered some food and made a paddle on the floor. Morning came quickly  as  the cold air burned on my frail skin. Trying not to wake the others I made my way into the kitchen looking for something to make coffee in. The smell of hazelnut coffee and bacon soon filled the little cottage. I ordered breakfast for everyone, they must have smelled it in their sleep. Everybody woke up at the same time, after eating we planned our day out. The first stop was to shower and head out to Callabais Ski Lodge. Gabe insisted we all ride with him in his van, there was no argument their nobody else wanted to drive. The place was huge and full of people, opening my mouth I tasted the snow that was falling from the sky. Making our way through the crowd we spotted where to get the skis. Let's make a bet, said Karen the last one down the slopes gotta go streaking when we get back to the cottage. Deal we said in unison, getting off to a rocky start I climbed the hill top to see if I still had it. The countdown was on, who would win in our game of dares. We all were  rusty as we struggled to get down the hill. Sadly I came in last as the group started chanting take it off take it off. You will have to wait to see this butt I replied, you would have thought I was a comedian the way they laughed at my joke. The parade was later that day so we walked around site seeing . This weekend was bringing so much peace to my life, being with my friends made me forget about everything else. We were having so much fun that the time almost slipped by us. The parade was getting ready to start and we were in for a big treat. As the music played we danced and laughed,and sang loudly with the rest of the crowd. The parade was epic and much needed, that's the joy of snow. A deal is a deal so when we made it back to the cottage I took 3 shots of tequila to put my nerves at ease. I could hear everybody laughing but I focused on the matter at hand, I thought my streaking days were long behind me. Taking my clothes off I ran down the driveway and back. Hey Joey you see something you like Gabe snorted, shut it Gabe before you make me tell your secret. Secret what secret me and the girls wanted to know. They exchanged looks and burst out laughing. Wouldn't y'all want to know, keep on waiting it will never happen. Move it then before we all get frostbite out here. The dark was slowly approaching but the night was still young. All I remember is taking shots and playing games once again we were all passed out on the floor beds untouched. Beer bottles all over the place, panties on the stairs, what the hell happened last night. What happens in the group stays in the group our saying for life. The gang was all packed 2 hours later. We said our goodbyes and promised to never wait this long again to see each other. Riding back down the road alone I smiled to myself GOD must of knew I needed that.

August 07, 2020 11:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Keerththan 😀
09:11 Aug 10, 2020

Wonderful story. Loved it. Keep writing. Waiting for more of yours..... Would you mind reading my stories too?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.