2 comments

Romance

Chapter 1

“Hi Matthew!” I waved. “Hey!” Matthew answered. Matthew and I have been dating for awhile now. Matthew seemed gloomy. “What’s wrong?” I asked. “Hazel, can we talk?” Matthew asked. “We always talk.” I said, worried. “Yeah well. I have something to tell you.” He said. “Go on.” I said, slowly. “Let’s talk somewhere. . . quieter.” Matthew said. 

We walked into the library, and sat down on the chairs. There was an awkward silence. “We’re moving.” Matthew suddenly blurted out. I laughed. “You?! Moving?! Haha!  That’s not likely.”

I continued to laugh until I saw the face on Matthew. He was being serious. I stopped laughing. “You aren't. . . Kidding are you?” I asked. He shook his head. “I’m sorry.” We both said at the same time. “What are you sorry about?” We said at the same time, again. We looked at each other for a split second and started cracking up. When we both calmed down I asked, “So when is it?”

“When is what?” Matthew asked. “The move.” I said. “Tomorrow.”

Then, it was time for class. 

Chapter 2

During the classes that Matthew and I were in, I kept glancing at him. 

It was finally lunch period. I rushed up to him. “Matthew? Why are you moving? Where are you moving? Who are you moving with? Are you going to contact me?Are we still dating?” I bombarded Mathew with questions. 

He shook his head and walked away. He wasn’t going to answer any of my questions. “Matthew.” I heard myself whisper. “Did you guys break up or something?” My friend, Candace asked. “Something like that.” I muttered. Candace’s eyes widened. “How did he break up with you? Wait. Don’t tell me. You dumped him!” She said. “Candace!” I snapped. “He’s moving.” I said, my voice softer. “Oh.”

“Ooh. I feel so bad for you.” Candace said. “Why?” My other friend, Gemma asked. “Nothing.” I said at the same time as when Candace said, “Matthew is moving and Hazel and he are never, ever, seeing each other ever again.”

I glared at her. “What? Gem is also your friend. She ought to know.” Candace shrugged. “Haze? Is that true?” Gem asked. I sighed. Cats out of the bag anyways.“Yeah.” I answered. 

“UGH! That little Matthew! I just wanna strangle hi-”

“Gem!” I cried. “Don’t joke like that.” I spoke, hardly. “I wasn't joking.” Gem said, with a smug look on her face. I started to smile. “You’re smiling!” Candace said, as if she caught me doing something bad. “No! It’s just ummmm. Just ummm. I thought of last night because my brother said something funny and-”

“Cut the act. And quiet down. You’re so annoying.” Someone said. I whipped around. It was Blair. She was the snobbiest girl around. “And your green shirt is clashing with my pink dress.” She said, layering lip gloss on her lips. “It’s blue-green for your information. Oh wait. You’re probably the dumbest human being alive and doesn't even know her colors.” I snarled. “What?!” Blair screamed, furiously. “Haze let’s go.” Candace whispered, pulling me back. “Yeah. listen to your low leveled friend.” Blair snickered. “What did you just call her?” Gem asked, angrily. “A ‘low level’. Why? Does it hurt you that much?” Blair said, still snickering. “You’re a low level too. You’re just a snobby one.” I retorted. “Don’t compare me to you.” She spat. “Well I just did!” I shouted. Hair flew in my face. Blair smirked. “Did you not brush your hair? And jeez! What is that smell? Put on perfume honey!” 

And she sashayed off. I gritted my teeth. “Next time, I’m going to knock some sense into her.” 

“Me too.” Gem said. “Let’s start with cleaning you up. That’ll take her queen spot right off.” 

Chapter 3

“You look amazing!” Gem sighed. “Are you sure?” I asked. “Definitely.” Candace said. Gem dyed my hair strawberry blonde, told me to wear a pastel pink crop top, short baby pink skirt, peach colored high heels, and full makeup. “My face feels thick with makeup.” I commented. “You look far more better than how it feels.” Gem said. I Looked into a mirror. “Wow Gem! I didn’t know you were such a makeup artist!”

Gem smiled. “I know.”

The bell rang. We all groaned. “Time for class.”

In the classroom, people stared at me. Including Matthew. “Who is that?” People asked. “She’s so pretty!”

“She seems familiar.” These types of things swirled around the class. “Hazel?” Matthew whispered/asked. I gave him a slight nod. Someone must have heard him because they said, “Hazel? That’s Hazel?” 

Blair stared at me the hardest. “Oh come on! You’re seriously not falling for her right?”

Matthew glared at her. “But-” Someone said.

“No buts!” Blair snapped. I’m the one and only person you all should praise. Not a. . . a . . . Low level.” 

“Maybe she's not a low level Blair.” Someone said, at the door. We all looked at the door. It was the school’s biggest flirt-Jasper. He swung his arm around my shoulder. “I heard Matthew Jones is moving.” Jasper said. “Hazel’s vacant right?” 

Matthew gritted his teeth. 

“Why? Is she not? Are you not gonna move?” Jasper taunted. Matthew lunged towards him. Jasper merely dodged. Matthew came tumbling to the floor. “Matthew!” I cried, as I tried to rush over to him. Jasper stopped me. He grabbed my arms and tried to pull me away. I just twisted out of his grasp and ran to Matthew. “Are you alright?” I asked. He was already standing up. Matthew balled his fists. He swung it across Jasper’s face before I could stop him. Jasper stumbled but didn’t fall. He blew Matthew’s face with bigger fists. “Matthew!” I shrieked. “Stay out of this. Let me go crazy on my last day.” Matthew said, gently pushing me aside. Matthew punched Jasper’s stomach. He almost fell. “Now you’ve asked for it.” Jasper hissed. He threw his fist-that was about to hit Matthew. Someone grabbed his wrist before it landed on Matthew. “Enough.” Mr. Miller said. “But Mr. Miller! He was asking for it!” Jasper snapped. “Go to the principal’s office.” He ordered. Jasper stalked out. “As for you Matthew. Follow me.” 

“What about class?” A girl asked. “Skip this period and go have fun.” 

I didn’t have fun. I followed Matthew  and  Mr. Miller. They walked into a room and closed the door. I pressed my ear against the door. “You are very lucky that you are moving tomorrow. Now tell me. Why did  you do that?” I heard Mr. Miller asked. I heard Matthew’s voice next. “I wanted to have fun. It’s my last day.”

“Is fighting considered fun to you?” Mr. Miller asked. “Sort of.” Matthew said, quietly. “Very well. I thought you were a quiet, and clever boy. I guess not.” 

“You may leave.”

The door opened. The two of them walked out. They both gave me a surprised look. “Matthew is a quiet and clever boy.” I cried. I don’t know why, but tears were spilling out from my eyes. “Enjoy your free period.” Mr. Miller said, coldly. “But Matthew did nothing wr-”

“Haze. Stop.” Matthew said. I looked at him. I was suddenly angry. “I’m only trying to help you! Why are you doing this to me?! It’s not my fault you’re moving!”

“Actually.” Matthew said. “It is.” 

Chapter 4

“That’s crazy! How would you move because of me?!” I shouted. “My mother hates your mother.” Matthew said, softly. “What? Why?”

“Your mother is a spy Haze. Mine is a. . . seller.” He whispered. I glared at him. It was supposed to be a secret. That’s why I didn’t tell you guys. I only told Matthew, Candace, and Gem. Oh, well at least he was whispering. I thought. “So what?” I scoffed. “Your mother is always bragging about how she is a spy and my mom is a seller. She teases my mom for being a seller!” Matthew whispered, hardly this time. “Shh!” I hissed. “And my mother would not do that!” I said. “I’m not lying!” Matthew cried. “Whatever! Don’t talk about other people’s moms like that!” I yelled. “WELL THEN MAYBE YOUR MOM SHOULD STOP BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A SPY!” Mathew yelled back. Everyone stared at me, and started whispering. “Oops. Haze? I’m sor-”

“Just get away from me.” I growled. “Haze I-”

“GO AWAY!” I screamed. Even though I said go away, I was the one to run off. The word started to spread that my mom was a spy. I started panicking. Mom trusted me to keep it a secret. How could I let this happen? Mom is gonna kill me. I thought. Then, everything started getting blurry and I was dizzy like a top that was spun. I put my hands on my head. I fell to the ground. But before I fainted, I saw Matthew catch me. Everything turned black. 

Chapter 5

“Wake up!” Gem shouted. “What happened?” I asked. “She’s awake!” Candace cried. “Where’s Matthew?” I asked. The thought of Matthew made me remember the accident. But I didn’t get a chance to ask about it because Gem said, “He’s gone.”

“What do you mean?” I asked. “He moved already.” Candace said. “It’s already tomorrow?” I shrieked. “Yep.” Gem said. “Does everyone know?” I asked. “What do you mean?” She asked. “About. . . my mother.” I said, my lips quivering. “Don’t worry. We covered that up.” Gem said. “How?” I asked. “Seriously all you’ve gotta say is that you were faking to get attention.” Candace said. “So everyone is believing that?” I asked. “Yup.” She said. “Thanks.”

I sighed. “So . . . he’s gone?” I asked. “Yeah.” Gem said, looked at her shoes. “And he didn’t even say goodbye?” I heard my voice crack. “You fainted Haze. You were still fast asleep. When he came to say bye.” Candace explained. I sighed again. “What time is it?” I asked. “Around 12:00.” Gem answered. “What?! Already?” I wailed. “I’m going to our dorm. Help me.” I said. They took me to the dorm we all share and I saw a sheet of paper on my desk. “It’s a note.” Gem said. “From Matthew!” Candace exclaimed, reading who signed it. I went on my bed. 

Dear Hazel, I’m sorry that I can’t see you. I really wanted today bye, but I didn’t have the courage to. When you fainted, I realized that I can’t say bye anymore. So this is my ‘bye’ to you. Again, sorry. Love you Haze! Good-bye. 

Sincerely, Matthew.

“Wow. That’s . . . a nice letter.” Gem said. “Sad too.” Candace added. “How did he get in here?” I wondered out loud. “Probably through the open window right there.” Gem said, pointing to a window. “He didn’t even bother to close it?” Candace groaned. “Smart.” I said. “You’ve got a great boyfriend there.” Gem said. “Yeah. I know.” I answered. “So what are you going to do now?” Gem asked. “Nothing.”

A few year later. . .

“Paris is so beautiful.” I said to Gem and Candace. We were on Summer break and we decided to take a trip to Paris. “I know right?” Candace agreed. “OOH! MACAROON STAND!” Gem yelled. She ran over and stepped into the line. “Let me come too!” Candace said, scrambling after Gem. I smiled at those two. They love pastries. “Haze?” Someone behind me asked. I whipped around. There was a boy standing right where Gem was. He seemed oddly familiar. “Haze? Is that you?” The boy asked again. 

“Excuse me but how do you. . .” I started. The boy said, “Do you not remember me?” 

“Matthew?!” I shrieked. He nodded. “This is the place you moved?” I asked. “Yeah.”

“MATT!” Someone screamed. I looked over his shoulder. There was another boy, holding a baseball bat. Matthew was holding a baseball mitt. “You made friends.” I said with a smile. “Yeah.”

“Matt!” His friend was coming closer. “Who is she? Your girlfriend?” His friend laughed. “Just kidding. People don’t like it when I do that.” He said. Matthew drew in a breath. “Actually she is.”

My face broke into a smile. “What?” His friend asked. “She’s my girlfriend, Hazel.” Matthew said. “Hi Hazel. I’m Adam.” He said. “Hey.” I greeted him. Matthew told Adam to go. Adam grinned. “Alright. I’ll leave you lovebirds alone.” Then he ran off. I threw my arms around his neck. “I thought I would never see you again!” I cried. “Me too.” Matthew said. “Haze! We’re ba-WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT?!” Gem shouted. “I unwrapped my arms and said, “guys do you remem-”

“Matthew?!” Candace interrupted. “Um. yeah.” 

“You moved to Paris?!” Gem asked. “Yes.” Matthew answered. “So what are you guys doing here?” He asked. “A trip.” Candace said. 

There was an awkward silence. 

I broke it by saying, “hey! They brought macaroons!” 

“You can have some.” Gem said to Matthew. “Thanks.” He mumbled. I shoved a macaroon in my mouth. “Gem and I are going to let you guys. . . make up.” Candace said, pushing Gem to another bench. “So. How’s it with. . . Jasper?” Matthew  asked. “What do you mean?” I asked, biting another macaroon. “I mean. So far, every pretty girl has dated him.” He said. “I’m not one of those girls who falls for just anyone like that.” I said. “You mean you never dated anyone even though I’m in Paris?” Matthew asked, in surprise. “Not a single boy.” I said. “How about you?” I asked. “Me? Nah. I already have a great girlfriend.” He said. I felt myself blush. “So um. . . dinner tonight? I know a great place.” Matthew said.

“Sounds good.”

August 12, 2020 18:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lynn Penny
20:42 Aug 16, 2020

This was cute! I loved the characters. Great job!

Reply

13:52 Nov 24, 2020

Thanks! sorry for the late reply

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.