0 comments

Coming of Age Romance Mystery

"Isn't this piece lovely, Iris? This took me quite a bit to make," asked my friend Jasmine, aka Jazz, as I was staring at a piece of her artwork, just memorizing. 


I shook my head and responded with: "It really is. You did a fantastic work on it."


That wasn't a lie for what my college friend has truly made such a masterpiece. More than what I could do with a paintbrush and some paint. I'll stick with photography as an art style, if I'm being modest.


Jasmine made a breathtaking photorealism oasis placed in a desert which all seemed so vast and neatly detailed, even though it was just a painting. 


Looking at her work, got me thinking back to the time she and I went aboard to Egypt. We had such a good time over there for the whole trip. So much to sightsee and a lot to take it. Jazz and I have been the best travel buddies since the day we meet at Grand Canyon University of our freshman year. We both love taking girl trips whenever opportunities present themselves.


However, that trip to Egypt was the last we ever took a trip and that was roughly a three years ago. Jazz has been successful in life that she became an entrepreneur and even has a thoughtful girlfriend, named Lolo, who is also very much of a sweetheart as Jazz herself. Her girlfriend is even a professional travel agent and yes, before you ask, that is how the two of them met in the first place.


I can't complain about any of that for I was legitimately happy for them, especially since they have a healthy long distance relationship to begin with. The only reason I bought it up was the fact I haven't achieved much of anything, and sometimes that leaves me to envy what Jazz has. All the meanwhile I was just a photographer and nothing else was exciting, if you count wine drinking as another hobby.


Jasmine looks at me as I was still daydreaming while looking at her oasis. She next asks: "Are you okay, dear?"


I snapped out of it again and replied: "Yes, sorry. I have been so memorized by this piece that I couldn't take my eyes off it."


"Yeah, it's one of my favorite pieces that I ever worked on. It's 300 dollars if you want," she teased.


"Does it look like I have that type of money?" I jokingly asked.


"For a friend and family discount, I'll give it to you for half the price," my friend smiled.


"I think I'll pass," I smiled back.


"You know I'm just teasing cause I love you."


"I know. I love you too."


"Did you bring any of your artwork?"


"What artwork?"


"Come on, Iris! You're a professional photographer. A trade made for the art. I'm sure you have some capturing photos to show. I can even put a good word for you to my boss and have you set up in the next Art Crawl next month."


"I don't know about that." Me feeling all modest again. It was one of my weaknesses and Jazz knew it. 


"Iris, my love, don't undersell yourself! I saw some of the work you have and I think you should take your professional to the next level. Why have that newspaper job when you can get a salary for more than what that lousy boss of yours gives you what is worth?"


"I have a career."


"A career that gives you little pay, my dear. Tell you what, let me know next week if you change your mind about it. I'll be sure to get my boss the good word about you. I'm sure she'll love your work as much as I do."


"I'll think about it then. Thanks Jazz."


"No probs, Iris. Us artists gonna stick together after all. Now, if you excuse me I got some customers looking at my other paintings."


"That's quite a quote. But no, by all means, go knock them dead." I smiled.


"I will and I shall," my friend smiled back.


I was then alone at the GCU Art Crawl with my Jasmine's painting all around me. After being in a place for too long I decided to check the other artists and their work.


There were so many creative people in the hall as they were all showing off their artworks while seeing if to make some sells for the night. Any type or kind of art was literally here. From sculptures, to jewelry, to books, to crafts, to filmography, any art you can think of, it was there. 


Eventually, I came across the photography area.


Upon arrival, I saw some photos that didn't quite catch my eye until I saw a photo that captured a person with a lampshade for a hat. The person had their arms straight amongst their sides while standing completely still for the camera.


As I was looking into the piece, I couldn't help but ask myself questions about it until a fellow came right next to me and asked: "Do you like it, madam?" 


I turned my head and I came face to face with the most handsome man in the Art Crawl that evening.


The gentlemen had captivating blue eyes with dirty blonde hair. His face was perfectly chiseled and so was the rest of his body. I was completely speechless for I didn't know what to say to this beau of a man in front of me. 


"Speechless is it?" he asked with a smile. "This is my first work I ever made. One of my favorites too. You can tell the person in that photo was made to look like a lamp."


I finally spoke, getting out of the enchanted spell: "It quite is. I couldn't even find the words to describe it. You literally took the words out of me."


"I apologize for that. I tend to read someone's faces before they even speak. A bad habit of mine if I'm quite frank."


"Oh, no need to apologize, Mister..."


"Ira Galdor, professional photographer of this piece here."


"Iris Amarntha, just a modest and simple photographer."


"You take pictures too?" Ira asked all excitingly. "Please do tell, what kind of things do you captured on camera?"


"Just anything that seems interesting. I do often take pictures of the landscape and landmarks, sometimes even buildings."


"Ah, so you're more inclined to architecture and environments. That's something."


"You can say that," I said shyly. 


"As for me, I look more at the inside of things. Such interior designs, like the decor and the people who live there."


"I can see that, given from the others." I look around and see that Ira had others such as this one.


Each one had a lampshade hat person posing for the camera with different backgrounds to measure. Every photo had a different person with a different lampshade, from big to small, and either men or women, all faces covered from their respected lampshade hat. There were even some with one limb or none at all. Mr. Galdor has made quite a collection of these that obviously showcases how much he loves lamps.


"Penny for your thoughts?" he asked after I was looking at each piece of his work.


"How did you get so many people to do the same pose?" There was at least a good two dozen of them from what my eyes could see.


"Let's just say I have really good connections. A lot of these fine folks volunteered to be put on the spotlight for just their bodies instead of their faces. I often get people who want to stay anonymous by which I like to respect their wishes."


"I can clearly see that. I wish my work was thought out like your's."


"I'm sure you have many good works yourself, Ms. Amarntha. You can't undersell yourself you know."


"It's funny that you mention it cause my best friend said the same exact thing."


"What can I say? Great minds do think alike. Say, would you like to have dinner at some time? It would be my treat and you can pick the restaurant of your choice."


I was utterly shocked. My heart was literally up to my throat. I never had been on a date with a guy as long as I can remember and here comes Mr. Perfect ready to swipe a simple lady like me off my feet. I became speechless again and just nodded my answer.


"Splendid. Well, here is my card with my phone number attached to it. I'm looking forward you calling. Maybe we can even check on each other's work from time to time. If you are interested of course."


I finally spoke again: "I most certainly would have that. Thank you, Mr. Galdor."


"Please call me Ira, Ms. Iris Amarntha."


"Haha, yeah, sure," I said while twirling my hair like a schoolgirl.


His iPhone went off and he gave me an apologetic smile while saying: "Sorry, I have to take this."


I gave him a knowing nod for him to take it. He proceeded to walk away to take his phone call as I was left there stunned for quite some time, admiring the man in front of me.


I must be dreaming, right? Going to have Jasmine pinch me just in case. Jazz is going to freak that her homegirl finally got a date after all these years. I couldn't wait to tell her myself once I do. Eventually I highlighted out of there and headed straight to my best friend; excited to tell her the news.

July 07, 2024 04:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.