A NEW BEGINNING BY JERRY WATSON

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends with a character asking a question.... view prompt

0 comments

General



 No one knew why Doctor Arthur Simms abandoned a lucrative medical practice in upper Manhattan three years ago to open a storefront medical office in one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn. As he inspected a shell, a woman and a man approached him. 


 "Hello, Senor, I am Father Raphael Ramon, that's my church over there, St. Francis. This lovely lady is our Counsel Woman, Ms. Eunice Martin."


Arthur shook their hands. 

"Hello, I'm Doctor Arthur Simms." 

"Are you a medical doctor or a professor?"

"I'm a licensed physician, Counsel Woman. Harvard, Class of 2002."

She nodded and smiled. 

"Please, call me Eunice."

"Okay, Eunice."


"Father Ramon and I have noticed this is the third time this week you've visually inspected this vacant building. Are you interested in buying?"


"Yes, Couns-Eunice, I think I'll open a health care facility here."


"A what? A clinic, here?"


 "Don't you think this area could use a medical facility, Father?"


Father Ramon smiled. "Forgive us for being skeptical, Doctor Simms, but restoring this building is an immense undertaking that will require quite a financial commitment. What do you hope to gain out of this?"


"A new life. I think it will be a solid investment. I'll take my chances, Father."


"It's only fair to warn you, Doctor Simms, the community takes a contrary view to gentrification. The government promised to help this neighborhood. They were all false promises. The people here are weary and, yes, leary of outsiders getting their hopes up. We don't have much, but what we have we plan to keep. At any cost."


"I understand, Eunice. Rehabilitation will begin soon."


 Over the weeks, various community members passed by to monitor the progress of the rehabilitation. They observed but didn't speak. However, when word got out that Doctor Simms was willing to hire anyone from the neighborhood who was willing to do honest day work for honest day pay, attitudes began to change. 


People walked by calling out, "Morning, Doc." or, "How're things going, Doc!"

The older adults set up their checkerboards across the street and watched the construction. Gang members volunteered to guard the construction site overnight to guarantee it remained secure. For three months, Arthur and his workers toiled on the building.


Doctor Simms and the people of the neighborhood celebrated the grand opening of the Community Healthcare Center on Saturday morning. By afternoon patients filled the waiting room. The clinic's personnel consisted of people from the neighborhood. The Healthcare Center became a sense of pride in the community. The residents were determined to protect it. Arthur vowed to serve all the people of the neighborhood.


Prostitutes, victims of gunshot wounds and stabbings would come through the back entrance for treatment-preferably after closing hours. They had a separate waiting room.


One morning, the staff reporting to work found the office in a shambles. Furniture and tables overturned. Graffiti scribbled the walls. Worst of all, the burglars looted the drug cabinet. News of the burglary spread through the neighborhood. The clinic closed for the day. 


Arthur and his staff were busy cleaning the office when they heard a ruckus in the streets. A group of gang members entered the waiting room. The crowd shoved four men into the office.


"Doc Simms, these are the guys who broke in here last night. Here are the drugs they took. What do you want us to do with them? We could tune them up for ya "


The four men stood in front of Arthur, silent with heads bowed.


"They can help us clean up this mess, for starters."


The gang leader stepped forward. "That's all? You guys better do a good job. And you ain't leaving until the Doc, here, says you can. Understand?"


The men nodded. "Then, get to work."



Arthur sat home, listening to jazz music after a twelve-hour workday when his phone rang. 


"Hello."

"Well, hello, Artie." He recognized the male voice.


"What's wrong, Artie? Cat's got your tongue?"


"No. I'm surprised to hear from you again?"


"Artie, Did you think by leaving Manhattan, changing your last name, and hiding in that crummy part of Brooklyn, you'd get rid of me? Ha-ha"


"You've bled me long enough. Why can't-."


"Do you want me to go to the cops with our little secret, Artie?"


"No. Please don't. I will do as you say." 


"Artie, I own you. You're going to keep paying me until one of us is dead. I'll call you tomorrow with the instructions.

Don't disappoint me, Artie."


Arthur clicked off his phone. "I've built a good life here. I'm a respectable, upstanding citizen. I've worked too hard to lose it.

What am I going to do to get this leach off my back."


The next day at the clinic was busy. Arthur treated patients from the time the office opened till the time the office closed. Nothing could take his mind off the night's delivery. The day moved along until before he knew it, it was five o'clock. Arthur dismissed his staff and was preparing to lock up when there was a knock on the backdoor.


It was one of the gangbangers. They were helping a young man stand. 


"Doc, we gotta a little problem. My homie here was on the wrong end of a knife fight. Can you fix him up?"


"Of course, bring him in."


They brought the young man in and laid him on the table. He was slashed across his abdomen. 


"He'll need quite a few stitches. It is going to hurt."


"Forget about that, Doc. He can take it. Just fix him up."


Fifteen minutes later.


Arthur used a towel to wipe the blood from his hands. 


"Try to keep him still for a few days and make sure he takes these pills for infection. He'll be fine in a few."


"You a stand up guy, Doc. What do we owe you?"


Arthur motioned the Gangbanger closer so no one could hear.


"I don't want money, but I noticed the weapon you have in your waistband, is it possible that I could get one?"


"Doc, this is kinda dirty. No serial numbers. Can't be traced."


"That's what I am looking for, young man."


"Naw, Doc, if you get caught, I don't want you to say who you got it from. Sorry. Before we go, can I use your bathroom?"


"Of course, it's the second door on the left."


"Thanks."


The gangbanger returned to his friend and helped him to his feet.


"Doc, thanks for the bathroom, but it's kinda dirty. Better go clean it up."


Arthur closed the door behind them. 


"My bathroom's dirty?" Arthur thought as he went to check it out. He looked at the sink. Clean. He opened the stall door, and a .9mm Gluck sat on top of the toilet tank cover.




The instructions were in an envelope taped to his door.


"Catch the northbound bus Flatbush Avenue bus on the corner of Flatbush Avenue and Quentin Road at 10 p.m. Ten stops later will put you in front of the entrance to the Zoo. Enter the park. Near the gate is a dumper. Leave my gift in there and walk away. I'll be watching you so no tricks."


Arthur sat on the bus, wondering if he had the nerve to kill. For five years, someone was blackmailing him. Who could it be? He often thought. Tonight, one pull of the trigger, and he'd be free. Leaving home, he was confident he could pull the trigger. Why was he having second thoughts?  


Arthur scans his fellow passengers.  

"Avoid eye contact," he thought.

One wrong look, and he'll give himself away. They'll know he's carrying a Gluck in his pocket. A strange calm overcame him.

Arthur touched the firearm and smiled. For once in his life, he feels invincible. He feels tough. It was time for Arthur to take back control of his life.


"Park Zoo!" The bus driver announced.


Arthur stepped off the bus and looked around. He watched until the bus drove away. The entrance to the Zoo was a few feet away. It was shrouded in trees and bushes. A few lamps dimly lit the narrow pathway. Arthur entered the gate and stopped. 

 "Where was that dumpster?"

He saw it over to the right in front of the bushes. It was a perfect place for an ambush. Arthur walked over and tossed the package into the dumpster. Arthur rushed to the gate and took cover in the bushes by the gate.


An hour passed before Arthur saw a shadowy figure reach into the dumpster and remove the package. Arthur punched out the gun and fired three shots. The blackmailer grunted banged against the dumpster and plopped to the ground. Shaking, Arthur ran over to retrieve the package. 


Arthur looked down at the body. Reaching down, to remove the blackmailer mask, a rustle in the bushes startles Arthur, and he runs from the park. 


Arthur tried to calm himself down as he rode in the back of the Uber. When he paid his fare, the driver remarked.

"Must be a valuable package, Mister, the way you're clutching it."


Arthur paid the fare. "It's my life, Sir."


Arthur sat on his sofa, thinking about the night's events. 


"Did he really do it. Did he get himself free?"


Arthur sat on the sofa holding his package until he drifted off to sleep.


The next day, Arthur arrived at the clinic with a new outlook on life. He greeted everyone, signed a few documents, poured a cup of coffee, and retreated into his office. As he went through his pile of mail, there was an envelope with no return address. Arthur opened the envelope and read the enclosed letter. He knocked over his cup of coffee. the letter read, "I know what you did last night."

Arthur placed his head in his head and asked, "Will I ever be free?"

May 23, 2020 03:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.