4 comments

Drama Romance Historical Fiction

Finding a husband was such a dull task.  

Elizabeth was bored of the ton and their boring social life. Dance, eat, mingle, repeat. Her only job was finding a husband. Compared to women of lower classes, she was privileged to never lift a finger for physical work. Her hands were not calloused, and her skin was soft.  

But she did not feel free. She did not have a voice. She depended on the men in her life to make the life-changing decisions for her. Hence, why the task of finding a husband was dull, she was shown prospects that did not interest her but interested her father's greed. She was not allowed to pick from choices she found nice.  

She knew lower-class women envied her status and her luxurious life, however, Elizabeth envied that at least they had some type of freedom. They were not trapped inside a nice cage like she was.  

“Come, Elizabeth.” Her father, George, called. “There's a nice gentleman downstairs waiting to call on you.”  

Elizabeth put down her quill and stared at her father. “You mean a nice potential business partner for you.”  

George glared at her. “Young lady, with that mouth you won't be viewed as a good wife.”  

Elizabeth sighed, knowing she was fighting a battle long lost before she was even born. “I'll be there in five.”  

“Excellent.”  

As soon as he left her bedroom doorframe, Elizabeth groaned. It was un-ladylike to do so, but she was just so frustrated and tired.  

She decided to go through with it and looked at herself in the mirror, making sure she was presentable. With a sigh, she closed her journal and put it inside her desk drawer. She made her way downstairs into the living room where her father was waiting.  

“Took you long enough.”  

Elizabeth stayed quiet, knowing it was better not to argue with her father. George opened the door and walked inside. “Lord Benjamin Fletcher!” He exclaimed. “It's been a while.”  

A tall man with handsome features, dark eyes, and dark hair with some silver on the sides turned to look at George. He lightly bowed his head. “Lord Belmont. A pleasure to see you once more.” His eyes landed on Elizabeth for a split second before bowing to her as well. “Miss Belmont. A pleasure to meet your acquittance.”  

“The pleasure is mine, my lord.” She curtsied.  

George grinned. “This is my daughter, Elizabeth. Fine young lady, is she not?”  

Lord Fletcher narrowed his eyes. “Yes, she is. Anyways, Lord Belmont. I am here about that business proposal you sent me.”  

“Ah, yes... well...” George seemed nervous. “I seem to have misplaced it. I will be right back; it should be in my study.”  

Elizabeth's eyes widened. “I should leave.”  

“No, no, you stay.” Her father said.  

“But father--”  

George did not seem worried. “Please entertain Lord Fletcher for a while, would you?”  

“But--”  

He was gone.  

Elizabeth suddenly found herself standing in the same room as Lord Fletcher. Alone. He seemed unfazed at what had happened while Elizabeth looked rather nervous.  

“My father is trying to set us up.”  

Lord Fletcher sighed after a few minutes of uncomfortable silence. “That's a rather bold accusation, my lady.”  

“But you know it's true.”  

Silence.  

Elizabeth snorted. “The so-called business proposal was nothing but a farce.”  

“How so?”  

“He told me that a nice gentleman was waiting downstairs to call on me. He invited you over for a business proposal that he so happened to have misplaced.” Elizabeth crossed her arms in front of her. “I believe we were both misled.”  

Lord Fletcher realized George's plan and sighed. “I see. No business, then.”  

“None, I'm afraid.”  

“Very well. I have nothing else to do here. My apologies for all the trouble.” He bowed to her. “Miss Elizabeth. Have a good day.”  

“You too, my lord.”  

He walked right past her when she heard her father yell. “Lord Fletcher! Leaving so soon? What about the business proposal!?”  

“I am a bit short on time, Lord Belmont. You should call me when you are far more prepared with a business proposal instead of trying to get me to court your daughter.”  

Elizabeth tried not to laugh; her father had it coming. There was silence before George spoke in a hushed voice. “But isn't she beautiful?”  

Elizabeth heard Lord Fletcher sigh. “She's not difficult to look at, I will admit. But you should know better than to try and trick me.”  

“M-my apologies, Lord Fletcher.”  

Elizabeth's eyes widened. Never in her life had she heard her father stutter out of fear. She could hear how nervous he was, and it only made her wonder who exactly was Lord Fletcher.  

“I shall bid you good day, Lord Belmont.”  

“You too, Lord Fletcher.”  

That meeting with the lord had left Elizabeth wondering when she would see him again. She would be lying if she said she was not interested in the mysterious man. Weeks passed and she would be left wondering. She was not sure if her father and Lord Fletcher had eventually talked about their business plans.  

Eventually, her family was invited to a ball. Her three older brothers were not keen on going; they often preferred the brothels. However, their father insisted they went to it to get them to court some unfortunate lady. Elizabeth was chaperoned by George and in her proximity to her father, she noticed that he seemed sad and worried.  

“Is everything all right, father?”  

George gave her a rare, genuine smile. “Elizabeth, I know I have not been a good father to you. Ever since your mother passed, I have grown distant. I've... made bad financial decisions over the years. It does not help that your brothers spend money carelessly.”  

Elizabeth felt a bit of fear growing inside her. “Father...”  

“I want you to know that I love you and that I'm proud of you for becoming a fine young lady.” His voice trembled a bit. “Ah! Lord Fletcher is approaching.”  

Elizabeth gasped softly as the tall and mysterious gentleman approached from across the ballroom.  

“I've arranged a marriage between you and Lord Fletcher,” George whispered to her in her ear.  

Elizabeth gasped. “Father--”  

“I want you to be well cared for when the inevitable ruin befalls our family. By then, you will be living a comfortable life. Lord Fletcher is exceedingly kind, despite his overwhelming presence.” He gently rubbed her hand in a comforting manner.  

“This was the business plan you wanted to discuss with the lord, wasn't it?”  

George did not answer. That was enough for Elizabeth.  

Lord Fletcher finally approached them. “Good evening, Lord Belmont. Miss Belmont.”  

“Lord Fletcher. Good to see you.” George greeted.  

Lord Fletcher nodded and turned to look at Elizabeth. “I was wondering if the lady would agree to join me for a dance.”  

Elizabeth curtsied. “Of course, my lord.”  

She accepted the lord's hand, and he guided her to the center of the ballroom. She put her hand on his broad shoulder, and he put his hand on her waist as he led the dance.  

“I assume by the worried frown on your face that your father delivered the news.”  

Elizabeth looked at him. “Forgive me, my lord. This is all very sudden.”  

“You have nothing to apologize for. But please, allow me to explain.” He twirled her and continued with the dance. “Your father came to me with the actual business proposal after the day I visited your home. He knew I needed a wife and an heir, and he wanted his daughter to be well taken care of. I assume he told you about your family's potential financial ruin.”  

“Yes, indeed. Just a few minutes ago.”  

“He proposed that I take you as my bride. I would find the bride I needed, and he would be sure that his daughter was well off.” Said Lord Fletcher. “But only if I found you intriguing and pleasant.”  

“Do you find me as such, my lord?”  

“I do.” He answered. “Which is why I agreed to take you as my wife.”  

“I am grateful, my lord.”  

“Should you be? Aren't you at least a little angry that you are being handed off by your father to a total stranger as a business transaction?”  

Elizabeth could only look away. “Every lady my age dreams of a convenient marriage or else they will be ruined. No matter which way you look at it, it will always be a business transaction, both for my family and to save my future. This proposal has been handed to me on a silver platter, to be betrothed to a man of your station. I am merely doing my duties as a daughter and future wife.” She looked into his eyes. “However, I have been spared of the dull duty of finding a husband by myself.”  

Lord Fletcher chuckled. “You're the first woman to ever say as such to me. Do you find me dull?”  

Elizabeth smiled. “No.”  

The music was over and thus, the dance. They curtsied to each other. “But are you happy?”  

“My happiness is not important.”  

“It is if you're to be my wife.”  

“I appreciate it, my lord. But I am happy with the thought that I will be spared financial ruin and the dull task of finding a husband. I thank you for that.”  

Lord Fletcher arched an eyebrow. “I highly suspect that you do not mean that your happiness is not important.”  

Elizabeth scoffed. “You will be right to think so, my lord. However, I do not have the luxury of thinking as such.”  

Lord Fletcher stood tall. “Then allow me, if you'll let me, to make your happiness one of my priorities, my lady.” He took her hand and kissed it.  

Elizabeth stole a look at her father. He seemed lonely among the standbys around the ballroom. Despite his cold and often dismissive behavior towards her, he had found her a wealthy, charming, and intriguing suitor who was willing to make her happy. An intriguing man that seemed to take the boredom out of her life with a smile.

George gave her a nod and a sad smile. She nodded back and turned to face Lord Fletcher.  

“I shall return tomorrow to your home with a formal proposal.” Said Lord Fletcher.  

Elizabeth nodded. “I shall be awaiting your arrival, my lord.” 

June 13, 2024 18:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Alex Tapia
16:30 Jun 19, 2024

Such a classic piece of Historical Romance. I can’t wait to read more from the Author.

Reply

14:42 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you so much! I'll do my best!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Audrey Clark
01:51 Jun 19, 2024

This was such a fun story to read! A nice simple plot that still keeps a read intrigued goes a long way. And historical fiction and romance are always a beautiful combination. Great piece!

Reply

14:42 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.