Chemistry.

Written in response to: Write a story about a scientist.... view prompt

0 comments

American Happy

"Morning Janice!" I say to my friend on the way in from work. She's always here. I know she goes home, it just feels like she never is there. I once came here in the dead of night to finish something, and Janice was there. I think she's crazy for being so glued to work, but this job is all she's ever wanted. She's the nicest, kindest person you'll ever meet, I promise. Some people think she's a little nutzo, and I can see that, yeah, but she's much deeper than being a little nutzo about things like guys, work, using specific chemicals. She goes a bit overboard with stuff sometimes.

Or all the time. Oh yeah, we're both chemistry scientists. We are trying to come up with a new chemical all the time. "Hello!" Janice says trying to be welcoming. She's already clearly been at work for at least an hour now. Like I said, she can be a little nutzo. Considering it's seven in the morning when we have to be ready and prepared with our work. I have yet to be more prepared than Janice, but I hope that day will never have to come. At least, not in the near future. Janice has guy issues, but I don't think that there's much else.

When I say guy issues, I mean issues with guys. Janice is very eccentric and very committed to work. But she has very little time for doing much else. This leads to commitment issues. That leads to her oftentimes breaking up with a guy. The longest one lasted two weeks. I was sure he loved her, but I guess only for two weeks. I feel rather sorry for her when she goes through one of these break-ups, but most of the time she does them to herself. As much as I would hate to admit it to her, it's the truth. I will never tell her that though. We're too good friends.

Soon, I'm at my desk getting out my usual mixing ingredients. I am looking for a better ingredient to use in chapstick. I feel like I'm close. That any day now I could crack it. I can figure it out. Others I know there is still a long way to go. If I ever do figure it out, we're going to go global and distribute these different types of chapstick. Right now I'm studying the chemicals of the scents. There are surprising things you can find in the average chapstick. I have yet to find something not good for you. Just chemicals are bad for the environment. Especially the plastic tube and cap. So, I'm finding some simple alternatives.

I definitely am ready for lunch two minutes before lunch break. Two minutes pass, which feels like too long when you are hungry. Disagree with me if you want, but it's the truth. One thing that I cannot stand is tuna fish sandwiches. My co-workers love it though. Some have it almost every day. It's gross to me. I'm pretty sure that they do it to annoy me most of the time. I usually have ham and cheese sandwiches. I think personally that it started when I had one when we were out at sea. It didn't end well. We'll say that to substitute what happened.

In the afternoon, I went and bought chapstick for everyone. I set up my experiment and then gave everyone a chapstick. I gave some people their favorite scents and some their least favorites. I was going to see what are all the normal germs were for a chapstick. At the end of the week, I would collect the chapstick from people to see how much they use in a week. All the chapstick were the exact same. Thus the experiment began. I was completely unbiased on who got which. I used an online spinner, putting all the names on the wheel and then picking a chapstick.

Whichever name is chosen the chapstick I chose before it spun to get the chapstick. I then went and gave them the chapstick after the name was chosen. I love doing spin the wheels and experiments. Janice got a chocolate one. My coworkers are all on the same liking level as my friends. I fit in very easily. We all have at least one thing in common. Only one of us is really a jerk, but he doesn't bother anyone. We try to avoid him as much as possible. He avoids us too because he thinks he is better than all of us. Which is definitely not true.

It's only because his dad used to run this place. He took over his spot. Then for reasons unknown to the majority of us, he got to our level and began to work as a regular scientist. He has yet to be late though, and he runs a good tight ship. I never said I liked him, and I for the most part dislike him. But I do respect him. I think that he is a fine person overall, and he acts differently from the person he is underneath. A lot of my coworkers on the other hand, well, let's just say that they dislike him and don't treat him as nicely as they treat each other.

I kind of feel bad for him, but he's the one who acts like he's better than the rest of us. It's kind of mean though, how he constantly is trying to put himself above us. It is the king of mean that he does that. Maybe if he treated us as our equals, we would be nicer to him too. But overall, being a scientist, as a female even, is a very fun job. I love to be a scientist. Chemistry has always been something I have loved. I am able to study things that when I was a girl yearned to be. Being a scientist is a job that most people want to be but never go through with. Going through it was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my entire life. I couldn't be happier.

March 15, 2022 14:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.