1 comment

Fiction

Hey there! You must be new here. Welcome! The name’s Artemis, but you can call me Artie. Don’t be scared; I won’t bite. Ha! See what I did there?

Not in the mood to laugh, I see. Can’t say that I blame you. I guess you’ve had kind of a tough day. I get it, I do. It’s rough out there. Been out there myself. Matter of fact, I was born on the streets. There’s just about nothing I haven’t seen. This place might not look like much, but trust me, it’s a far cry better than being out there. Sure, it’s crowded, and noisy, and smelly – oh the smells! It’s enough to make you wish you didn’t have a nose. But at least here you’ve got a dry place to lay your head and two meals a day. Sometimes we even get to go outside. It’s just a concrete yard – no grass – but outside is outside, after all. Boy, I miss the smell of grass. Really makes you appreciate the outdoors.

How long are you in for? Not sure, huh? Well, if you’re lucky, you’ve got someone out there looking for you, and they’ll be by soon to spring you.

Hey, there goes Eddy! Bye Eddy!

Lucky Eddy. The young ones never do stay very long.

You don’t look too old yourself. I bet you’ll be out of here in no time. Just remember, it’s door number one you want. Door number one, not door number two; you do not want door number two. Door number one – that’s your old life, or maybe even a whole new life. You might be back, you might not. But there’s no coming back from door number two. Nobody – and I mean nobody – comes back from door number two.

Trust me on that one, kid. I’ve been here longer than anybody. I had a family I loved; they took me in when I was young. We lived in a big house with a great big yard where I could run and play with my brother and sister. I loved chasing squirrels. Never did catch one, though. Came close once. Real close. When I got tired, I’d lay on the deck in the sun and watch over my family.

You’re wondering what happened. How did I end up here? Mine is a familiar story. My family moved away. They had to leave the big house with the great big yard, and they couldn’t take me with them where they went. Everyone was real sad. My brother and sister cried when they told me goodbye. Mom did, too. Dad hugged me so long I didn’t think he would ever let go. But then he did. And they got in the car and drove away without me. I waited for them to come back for a long time. I waited right here in this very spot every day, expecting that one day that door would open, and my family would walk in. They’d hug me and scratch my ears, and then they’d take me home with them back to the big house with the great big yard. And I’d roll in the grass and lay in the sun for the rest of my days. So I waited and waited. I waited for them long after I knew, deep down, that they weren’t ever coming back. Now I wait here and look out for newcomers like you – show them the ropes and all – and do what I can do give them a chance at a good life.

Whoa! Settle down, Baxter. It’s just the new kid.

That’s Baxter. He’s been sort of jumpy since he lost that eye. Don’t let him frighten you; his bark is worse than his bite. Can’t say as I blame him. Injury like that – that’s a guaranteed ticket through door number two if there ever was one. Nobody wants damaged goods – not when there’s so many others to pick from. Everybody wants the young ones – like Eddy. Or if you’ve got a fancy, designer name – anything that ends in “doodle” – that’s guaranteed to get you through door number one. Maybe if there weren’t so many of us – maybe if it wasn’t so crowded in here – maybe then Baxter would stand a chance. Poor Baxter.

I like you, kid, so let me give you a piece of advice. I know you’re scared and confused, but you gotta put on a happy face. Maybe your family will come for you; maybe they won’t. Even if they don’t, you’ve still got a chance. Somebody comes by, and you like the smell of them, you put on your biggest smile – we’re talking tongue-lolling, head-tilting, tail-wagging, eyes-pleading, greet-you-at-the-door happy. You do whatever you need to do to get them to pick you. Don’t be like me, kid. Don’t do what I did – moping about here waiting for someone who’s not ever coming back.

Speaking of moping – there’s Princess. Hi Princess! How you doing today, girl?

Sad story, there. She just came in yesterday. Her person died, and there was no one else to take her in. Poor girl is heartbroken. But then again, aren’t we all? Still, she’s got some life left in her yet, if someone would give her a chance. Too bad she’s the wrong breed, though. Don’t spread this around, but she’s got more than a bit of pit in her. Bad rap, pits. They’re really among the gentlest of us all, and Princess there is no exception. Such a shame. Still, if the right person came along…

Oh, ah, here they come for me. I guess my time’s up. Looks like ol’ Artie’s got a date with door number two. Now, don’t be sad, kid. I’ve had a good long run. Would have liked to lay in the sun one more time. Have a roll in the grass, maybe. Hey, I never did catch your name. Buddy? Good name, Buddy. Well, Buddy, you be a good boy, you hear? I hope you find your forever home. Me, I think I’m gonna catch myself a squirrel after all. 

September 23, 2022 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

M B
22:37 Sep 29, 2022

This was a great use of the prompt, and very, very sad because this is definitely the reality for many dogs out there. I liked your narration choice to address the reader as if they were a character too. I hope Buddy can find a nice new home, and not go through door number 2.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.