When the Birds Whistle

Submitted into Contest #26 in response to: Write about a character who was raised in a musical family.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Everybody in my family is a musician. Ever since my great, great grandfather showed an interest in the musical field. It’s expected “if your last name is Birdwhistle,” or so my dad says. And yes, our last name really is Birdwhistle. Ironically, as we’re a musical family.

              I’ve never understood what the big deal was. Sure, music is cool and all but why do people waste their time on noise? Why do people pay big money to hear a person sing?

              My parents never approved of my aspirations. I always aspired to enlist in a career that involved science. It always interested me how science worked. I wanted to know how the world worked, how living beings lived. But, all my parents were interested in was our stupid family band and making a living off of it---and that meant I had to be involved.

              I’d get into an argument, on a daily basis, with my parents over the whole stupid ordeal. The conversation would go a little like this:

Mom: “But sweetie, you’re destined to be a musician! It’s in your blood! Don’t waste perfectly good talent when you have it!”

Me: “What talent? I can’t sing, I can’t play an instrument! If I’m talented in anything, it’s studying the world around me. I’m sorry mom, but it doesn’t interest me.”

Dad: “Son, do you want to be a disgrace to your family? Your great, great grandfather Birdwhistle didn’t put himself out there just for his great, great grandson to disown his entire family in one generation.”

Me: “Well, I’m sorry. I’m not interested in music! You can continue and be musical with Lucy. I’m sure she will love it.” (Lucy is my two year old sister.)

The conversation would usually end around here by me storming off into my room and slamming my door. Unironically, I have an interest in birds, so my room is covered in everything that has to do with them. I was interested in them since I was Lucy’s age. My parents thought putting bird decals on a guitar or singing songs about birds would peak my interest, but it didn’t.

One night I fell asleep, peacefully, dreaming of becoming a zoologist so I could study and be around birds every day. The next day, however, wasn’t so peaceful as I was awaken by the sound of my mom’s flute, like I was every morning. I mean, don’t get me wrong, the sound is peaceful, I just don’t like hearing it. Anyways. I thought it was going to be a usual day, get into a fight with mom and dad about music. Go to school. Come home. Get into another fight with mom and dad. Go to my room slam door. Eat dinner and not speak a word to mom and dad. And so on. But it wasn’t like that.

I got ready for school and did have my usual quarrel with mom and dad, which was normal. However, it was the walk to school that was different. While I was walking, amazed by nature, I heard the most peculiar yet remarkable sound. I couldn’t figure out what it was at first, but then I looked up and saw a bird! The birds were communicating to each other---but not just that, no, they were whistling and chirping. It was the most beautiful thing I ever did hear. It put a smile to my face. Now this, this is music to my ears, I thought to myself. The whole day at school I couldn’t stop thinking about those birds. I couldn’t wait to tell my parents!

The time the bell rang to tell us it was time to go home, I jumped up from my seat and practically ran out of that school like a lion running after prey. On my way home, there were more birds singing and chirping just like the hours before. I hurried into the house, my parents were surprised to see me this excited.

“Mom, dad! You’ll never guess what I experienced today!”

“What is it son?” Dad asked, a question in his eyes.

“On my way to school, there were birds and they were singing and whistling! It was amazing. You know how you say music is magical and makes you feel a certain way? Well, I felt it!” Hearing this, my mom lit up with joy. She always wanted me to find the joy in music some way.

“Wow! That’s incredible! I told you music can move you in magical ways, you just gotta find it,” she leaned down to give me a hug. “But, we’ve been thinking, and even through these turn of events, we both agree that we’ll stop pushing for you to join the family band.”

I opened my mouth to say something but get interrupted by my dad.

“Son, it wasn’t fair for us to push you into that. And we’re so, so sorry. You’re not a disgrace to us. If you want to pursue your science career, we’ll be right here to support you.”

“Actually, mom and dad, I want to join. After today, and hearing those birds, I realized music isn’t pointless after all. I want to be a part of the band. I want to join the past generations of our family and continue our family’s legacy.”

My parents looked at me with expressions I’d never seen before, they looked proud.

“Alright. But you have to pursue this science career, you hear me? You’re not wasting all your time on music young man,” my mom said with a grin.

“You got it. I’d never let my science dreams go to waste anyways,” I said, looking at both of their grinning faces. “But I have one suggestion: I get to whistle in the background.”

Both my parents let out a guffaw as I say the last part, and I laugh a little, too, myself. But they both agree that I can whistle in the background. Afterall, we are the Birdwhistle’s, as my dad likes to put it.

January 27, 2020 04:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.