3 comments

General

It was a Cold Saturday morning in December, I had just awoken to the sound of my wife, she was getting ready to do some baking and was missing a few ingredients, she hesitantly and reluctantly asked if I would run to the grocery store to pick up the items needed to finish her baking, since I was awake, barely, I agreed, as I was walking out the door she added that I might want to make haste because a Snow Storm was on the way, this did not faze on me because I had driven in Snow Storms before, no big deal, or at least that's what I had thought, little did I know what the fickle finger of fate had in store for me, as I started out, the sky was grey and ominous but I continued on without a care, the drive was about a 20 minute trip and quite uneventful, uppn entering the store I noticed a young woman in distress, she appeared to be under the influence of either Drugs or alcohol or perhaps both, keeping in standards with my not my business Idealism, I carried on with my shopping, upon picking up a box of Baking Soda that was on the list, I noticed that the situation at the counter was escalating, the owner told the girl to either leave the store or the authorities would be called, this heightened my curiosity, I proceeded to the counter to investigate, the girl wanted something to eat, so trying to de escalate the situation I offered to buy her the food she had on the counter, she proceeded to relate a story to me about how she had been abducted by Aliens the previous year and she not been the same since, I took this as drug or alcohol side effects or something of that nature, after she related this she said something that really perplexed me, she said they had impregnated her and she got rid of the Alien baby, I being of sound mind and body, or at least body anyway, I found it hard to believe the yarn she had spun, so I continued on shopping. The snow outside was coming down at a rate that a person in excellent health would have a hard time keeping up to shoveling. I had retrieved all the items on my list and was heading to my truck to depart for home, I put the groceries in the back seat of the truck and was about to open the drivers door, all the time wondering where the young girl had gone, as I opened the drivers door of the truck I heard a noise, it was a rather familiar noise, one I have heard on many occasions, I closed the door to investigate the sound, it appeared to be coming from the direction of the side of the Grocery store where the garbage dumpster was, as I walked closer, the noise got louder and louder, it was becoming more familiar with each step I took, I open the dumpster and in a pink soft blanket was a baby girl, approximately 6 months in age, it took a few minutes to regain my composure, as I looked at this beautiful baby girl, she looked up at me and gave me a big smile, her eyes were the prettiest blue I have ever seen, nervously I picked her up and held her close to me, she was cold, I had no idea how long she was in there but that didn't matter, what mattered was keeping her safe and warm, I put her in the Truck beside me although I had no baby car seat, I secured her the best way I could and carried on home, all the while trying figure out what I was going to do about this unfortunate soul, I thought about what I was going to tell my wife about the extra item I had obtained from the Grocery store, as I drove along the storm worsened, viability was about 3 ft in front of me, I knew the roads quite well, so that wasn't a worry for me, what happened next will live with me for eternity, as I approached a well known sharp corner a Logging truck was coming around it and had gone wide, way wide, he was completely on my side of the road and I had nowhere to go, I thought for sure my time was up, I turned the steering wheel hard left and laid down to cover the baby, it seamed like an eternity had passed, a strange thing happened, the was no bang, no Crash, no Truck, I was beside myself, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what had just transpired, as I looked up, It seemed that nothing had happened, the Truck was sitting on the side of the road without a mark on it, confused I carried on homeward, I looked over at the beautiful little girl beside me and she was looking at me smiling like she knew something I didn't, which evidently she did, the storm had started to let up as I pull into the driveway of our house, my wife came outside to greet me in a panic,"Where have you been?" she snorted, you have been gone for 5 hours, I looked at her with disbelief and said, impossible, I have been gone an hour tops, she the replied, You left here at 10 o'clock this morning and it is now 3:15 pm, please explain she stammered, not knowing what to say I held the baby up to her and the questioning was over on that matter, now the questions were directed at where did the baby come from?. I explained the best I could what took place, but even I when relating it to her did not believe it myself, after getting situated comfortably in our home we discussed more the events of the day, as we were in an intense conversation about the incident with the Logging Truck I noticed that the TV was changing channels and no one had the remote, the only one interested in the TV was the baby, as the night went on Strange things were happening, the lights would go on and off, both alarms on our vehicles kept going off, the phone would ring with no one on the other end when answered, at around 3 am I awoke to the sound of a high pitched noise coming from outside, one to which I was not familiar with, I jumped out of bed to investigate, as I looked to the East I noticed 4 bright lights, they hovered for a minute and then seamed to come over top of our house, I froze stiff, what am I seeing, as I looked upon the bright lights I heard the baby, she wasn't crying, she was making a very odd sound, one to which the likes I have never heard before, I went to the room to which we had placed the baby and opened the door, to my disbelief, I saw the baby floating in a beam of light, a light in which color I have never laid eyes upon, the most beautiful Aqua Maroon I have ever seen, frozen stiff, I observed 5 very small what looked to be reptilian shaped Alien beings, they never said a word, they used what they called mind thought process and proceeded to explain their visit, the girl in the Grocery Store had been abducted so they could implant her with an Alien seed to better humanity, she had escaped somehow and now they needed the baby to teach her all the wisdom needed to save mankind, they seemed very amiable and intelligent, they thanked me for saving the child and said if we would like to have custody of the child after her training we would be welcome to take on the task, I agreed, they said the process would take about a year, Next Saturday we are expecting a child, A blessing from the future. I do not regret any of the incidents that occured on that day, I look upon it as a blessing and we can't wait for the arrival of our beautiful new baby girl. I hope this story has touched some of you in a way that is beautiful, I have learned that sometimes you get more than what you are looking for when shopping, thank you for taking the time to read my story and I wish you all the luck and happiness that my wife and myself have experienced.

July 27, 2020 17:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jane Andrews
21:29 Aug 05, 2020

Hi Ulysse. This was very imaginative; however, I need to echo the other comments and mention your punctuation (or lack of it). To be honest, the story itself is more important that spelling, punctuation and grammar - those things can be taught, but creativity cannot. It does make it easier for others to follow your story, though, if you try to use more full stops and fewer commas. (Perhaps get a friend to read through for you before you submit?) Overall, I found it an interesting response to the prompt and like the way you ended with the imm...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thom With An H
01:47 Aug 04, 2020

You have a great plot line but make sure you edit. There are a lot of misplaced capitalizations and missing punctuation. You have creative ideas and don’t want them to be lost. I used the same prompt. I would love it if you could give me a read and let me know what you think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brittany Gillen
19:56 Aug 01, 2020

Ulysse - Thank you for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading about the alien baby and the speaker's care for the strange woman and her child. I am not sure what happened with your formatting, but it turned out very hard to read. The story is one long run-on sentence with only commas. Your writing reads well otherwise, so I am assuming this is a technical issue. I have approved your story, but please take note of this for the future. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.