2 comments

General

The sky above me glitters like confetti has taken over the sky. It is as beautiful as ever. I hug my thick sloppy jumper close to me as a soft breeze spirals around my bare neck. Thousands of stars shine like spotlights which entrap a singer on his stage. Oceans express nothing compared to the elegance of the starry sky; the darkness isolates you, yet can fill a void you never knew was there; the moon light takes your breath like a bandit wanting more. 

My fingers reach down to the moist earth, the tall stems tickling my fingers. The dirt and mud can soothe my cuts and weary limbs on bad days, but it can never raise me up and give me light like the world up above.

I ask the night sky, ‘How can anyone fear the darkness when you give me so much hope?’.

The darkness stares back at me. Suddenly I feel so small; too small for this universe; too small to be significant. The crashing winds spirals around my head, cocooning me, and brushing away my dark curls. Shadowy clouds smudge the sky forming over the frowning stars. An unsettling stirring starts in the pit of my stomach and tears start to roll down my face from the dusty grass that hit my face.

They have always been emotional, the heavens have always been insecure- people always prefer the sun, they have always been scared of the darkness and what lurks in the shadows. I have never thought that. My friend comforts me when I am lonely and draws out a curiosity for knowledge and mysteries. I feel free to talk to them about my life and dreams and the past, they never laugh or judge in a cruel manner. Ironically, they have gotten me out of my darkest times.

But I know when to leave, when I have flustered or aggravated them. I can see their anger now start to bubble up. A soft pattering of chilly rain splash across my cheeks.

 Before the first set of lightning arrives, the blanket and leftover snacks are already in a dull tote bag, and before the sound of thunder rings through my ears, I am already on my way to my house. 

This summer has felt like years, when in fact it is only mid-june. This year it has really taken its toll on me with a mix of the heat and stress from studies. On top of that, the sun is out far longer than the winter months, meaning it is not dark until it is nearly the witching hour (My mum has not been appreciative of my late night wandering). Winter is much less straining  as when I wake up there is no sun blaring into my untidy room, nor is there an unbearable heat which I can never seem to get used to. I loved sitting out with the winter chill numbing my fingertips, seeing my breath spiral into crystal galaxies. 

Most mornings such as today are prime examples of the sun offering an unwelcome morning call in the early hours of a monday morning. To be honest, recently I have even questioned the use of alarm clocks and have merely decided they are not necessary any more. The constant, loud chirping from the nest of birds outside of the window seems to do the trick. An unwavering out-of-tune chorus that blasts through my room is just… perfect. 

Despite this, I am always still rushing to get to school on time.

School is generally a blur of daydreaming, and maths, and catching up on the sleep that dawn stole from me. My brain never connects to lessons, it seems like I am looking at myself from a distance hardly recognising when my legs shuffle from class to class.

Today though, hit me hard, a pretty boy with thick, shoulder length hair turned up to science today, i don’t think I have met him- he certainly didn't go to this school- but i feel drawn to him. His eyes capture me, ensnare me into the dark whirlpools that fill me with wonder. 

Have I been staring too long? Without notice, I am pushed onto his desk by a clique that barged into the room.

‘Hi’ he says, his voice soft and deep and strangely comforting.

I just about stutter a hello, before I am told to sit down by the teacher.

‘Talk to you later’ he says with oaky brown lips before winking at me. 

As I sit down, I am already trying to figure out how I recognise this mystery boy. Not school. Not clubs or holiday camps. Those eyes. They remind me of something. 

Once the bell finally signifies the end of class, I catch up to him. He is taller than I thought he would be, I have to raise my head up to say ‘who are you, I recognise your eyes, ’ he just replies with a small snicker.

Looking at the hard hallway floor he says, ‘ my name is marz’. A small grin now takes over the lower half of his face. I try to read his face, but just get distracted by the dimples which poke into marz’s cheeks- he almost seems to glitter in the light. 

He just seems so familiar; I feel as if I've known him for years. Marz. it rings around my head, Marz.

By the time we need to go our separate ways, I almost go his way. I want to run away- just to stay in this stranger’s presence, but he insists that he will see me again. Slightly disheartened, I return to the fields that have become my home. 

That night I told the stars and the grand universe about my intriguing friend. They didn’t seem surprised when I exclaimed my familiarity with this person. The swirling galaxies assured me we were meant to cross paths, like fate was playing a part in all this.  This new person has seemed to fill the void in me, exactly like the sky could. Only the thought of his smile- so rosy and wide- made my heart bounce around my chest for some reason.

I shut my eyes and allow myself to dive into my mind. My body rises to the sky and falls back down as the wind rushes around my body like spiralling, twisting rockets.

Abruptly, my eyes snap open, and before me was Marz.

I rush myself to sit properly whilst spluttering an awkward hello.

Before I realise what is happening, we are actually flouting. Up ten feet, twenty feet, fifty feet. His divine eyes looking into mine, his eyes. They reflect the stars.

‘I am the moon and stars. I have talked to you through the night. I love you. Please leave with me, we can run away together.’ he extends his hands, wanting me to hold on. A glance down shows that I am part of the stars now. I try to think if I will regret going back to earth and leading my life as it was, wishing I was part of the stars, and I know I will only regret not leaving. My fingertips touch his- they are warm and soft- and I feel peaceful, the chaos dissolves as I bond myself to the constellations.

July 24, 2020 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

02:45 Jul 30, 2020

Stephanie, I really liked your story! I was fully captivated throughout the entire story. I loved how you made yourself become one with the moon and the stars.

Reply

Stephanie Harris
09:13 Jul 30, 2020

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.