0 comments

General

One Sunny Day in Tacoma Park, Maryland. A girl named Lola was looking for a winter coat for winter break. She is going to New York to visit family during the holidays. She and her mom named Sharon went to Goodwill to look for some nice winter coats. Lola is searching for the perfect coat. It has to be a baby blue coat and nothing else. She looks through all the coats but could not find a baby blue coat. Sharon was helping her look for a baby blue coat until she stumbles upon one. "Look what I found!" Sharon said happily. "You found it!" says Lola as she is jumping up and down cheerfully.

"Are you going to try it on?" asked Sharon. "Of course"says Lola. Lola tries on the coat and it fits her perfectly. Sharon purchases the coat and they head home. When they got home, Lola rushed into the house and ran straight to her room. She closed the door and took the coat out the bag.

She takes the coat and hears something jiggling in the left pocket. She reaches into the pocket and pulls out a letter attached with a strange key on it. She reads the letter and it says Whoever is reading this, This letter is very special to me and I hold it dear to my heart. It belongs to a special someone who I lost seven years ago. Please return, Patty.

Lola was shocked after what she just read. She ran downstairs to tell her mom. "Mom,Mom!!!!" she yells while running downstairs into the kitchen. "Yes, Lola what is it sweetie?" Sharon says calmly. "I find this letter and this key attached to it!" she says. Sharon reads the letter and is in awe while reading it. "OH, MY GOODNESS"! yells Sharon. "We need to find who this Patty is and get it to her!"she says.

Sharon drives to Goodwill to find out if Goodwill knows anything about Patty. Lola and Sharon arrive at Goodwill and head straight inside. They asked the clerk if she knew anything about "Patty". "Patty is an middle aged woman who lost her daughter in a car accident seven years ago. She told me, one night she and her daughter got into a huge argument and her daughter stormed out of the house and took her car and drove to Washington D.C.

She was very angry and she was drinking too. Next Thing, you know she runs a red light and hits another car then spins out of control and crashes into a tree and she dies instantly"says April. "Later on that evening, she hears a knock at the door and it was the police. The police told her that her daughter passed away in a car accident. Patty started crying, she was crying for a whole entire month.

She held a funeral for her two weeks later. After her death she has been so depressed lately says April". "Wow said Lola and Sharon in unison. " The reason why that baby blue coat is so precious to her because her daughter wore it that day before she passed and her favorite color was baby blue " says April. "Patty came in and said "Please take this coat, If I keep this coat I will be depressed for life and never move on".

"I took it from her and put in the coats department. "She starting crying while leaving the store, I felt so bad for her" she says. "If you do not mind me asking but how old was her daughter anyway?" asked Sharon. " She was only twenty-one years old and starting her senior year of college in the Fall of 2011" says April.

"Do you know where Patty lives by any chance" asked Lola. "She lives in Potomac; her house is a two-story yellow house on the right you can not miss it"she says. Her house has two rose bushes in the front and three sunflowers in a flower pot on the porch" she continued. "Thank you, for helping us!"says Lola. April smiles and heads back to work. Lola and Sharon leave Goodwill and head to Potomac. It was a twenty-seven minute drive to get there.

They finally arrived at Potomac and went through a silver gate which leads to the beautiful houses. Lola looks at the houses by the river. They get to the end of the road, they see a yellow house to the right of them. "This is it!" says Sharon nervously. They opened the front gate and went up the steps which lead to the front door. Lola looks at the sunflowers and roses.

Sharon rings the doorbell and then looks at Lola. They hear footsteps toward the door. Out comes a short middle aged woman with short grey hair and red glasses. "How may I help"? says Patty. "You must be Patty, we have something for you" says Lola. "Come in!" she says and closes the door behind them. Lola and Sharon walked inside and saw how cute her living room is.

On her red sofa was a big, fat, fluffy cat named Whiskers. Whiskers was sitting on the sofa just staring at Lola and Sharon. Lola, Sharon and Patty take a seat. "Would you all like something to drink"? asked Patty. "I will have lavender tea"says Sharon and I will have a cup of sparkling water"says Lola. Patty brings them their drinks and sits down. Lola took out the letter and gave it to Patty.

Patty began to cry. "Where did you find this"? she asked. "It was in the baby blue coat." said Lola. "I must have put it in there by accident" she says softly. "I had a feeling, a young girl like yourself would pick it one day" she said while tears falling from her eyes. "The key attached to this letter is from Melissa's music box. "Melissa"? said Lola.

"Yes, That is my daughter's name" she adds. Lola, Sharon and Patty left the living room and headed to Melissa's room. Melissa's room was cold and dark without light, it was soulless. Her room was covered with pictures and drawings. She seemed very creativity and very extroverted. "She loved being the life of the party"Patty adds.

Sharon looks at a picture of Melissa in the ninth grade. She had curly dirty blonde hair, purple braces and black glasses. She had the same colored eyes just like her mother. They were hazel and soft looking.

Patty pulls the key out of her pocket and puts it in pink box. The pink box started playing beautiful classic music and out came a dancing ballerina twirling around until the music stopped. "This was Melissa's favorite music box as a kid" says Patty. "I thought she going to become a dancer and perform in the theater"she added.

"Things change and so do people" she says. "After tenth grade, she went from being this innocent, shy girl to this popular, extroverted person in one night! It was crazy"said Patty. " She started drinking and getting into drugs, it was awful"! says Patty. "Once she got into college she chilled out a little bit and she started taking class seriously because college is not cheap" says Patty. "If she were alive today, she would wanted to become a social worker and help children in need, She would had graduated from the University of Maryland in the spring of two-thousand twelve.

After three hours of talking, Lola and Sharon headed out the door toward the car. "Thank you for giving me my letter back" she adds. Patty hugs Sharon and Lola. Sharon and Lola waved goodbye and left. "What a day!" says Lola. Sharon smiled and drove home. After a twenty-seven hour drive they get to their house and fall asleep.

December 03, 2019 04:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.