Red Ink Stains

Written in response to: Set your story backstage at the theater. ... view prompt

24 comments

Crime Fiction Mystery

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Death


Three years back when my sister died, I felt like a part of me had died, but they just forgot to bury me. I had cried myself to sleep every night, mourning her absence. Little did l know, she was there with me all along. And now, when I have finally given up pain, there is just one regret. 


It’s like I am in an endless room with thousands of colourful loops swirling around me. There is a wave of tranquillity washing over, but I am too numb to feel anything. There is a voice playing at the back of my head, like a familiar hum, too faint to recognise. I take a step forward with a sudden urge tensing the back of my shoulders. I have never felt so desperate before. I reach out to grab a figment but all I can gather are shattered pieces of pain. My vision blurs and I am swept away. 


I find myself in an old apartment. Faded red curtains drop low by the window inviting the little warmth in the room. The sofa seems as if being jabbed several times. Empty bottles of beer lie still on the table. Before I could react, a man walks through the door. He is wearing a casual t-shirt with baggy jeans and a notebook stifled between his arms. 


Later do I realise, it is me.


I wish I could yell at him and warn of the upcoming peril, but my voice never came out. It stuck there at the bottom of my throat, fighting against my will. The thoughts dispersed when I saw myself talking on a phone call. 


It was my brother, Jack.


Jack was the director of a well-established theatre company. I had been working with him for five years as an actor and at times, even a co-director. We named the company ‘The Millers’ and luckily the fame rocketed in the initial years itself. We had a performance in Chicago today and Jack had called me to come early as he wanted to discuss some important details. I agreed nonchalantly and went back to my room where my stylist had been waiting for me. 


After three long hours of thumping make-up, I stepped out of the room in my costume. It was a well-ironed white shirt along with a pair of black trousers. My hair was neatly parted to the side held with ample amounts of hair gel and spray. The strong smell of foundation and makeup coming off the skin tingled my nose. Oh well, I did look handsome. I saw myself grab the car keys and walk out of the door. 


Thick belts of fog surrounded me and the scene shifted to a theatre backstage. Artists and coordinators were running to and fro, shouting orders and assigning work. Three painters were rolling their brushes against a huge canvas of a household setting. A number of prompts were neatly piled on the table, including fake moustaches, wigs, handcuffs, clothing accessories, iron rods and even wax faces. 


Jack and his team were standing in a crowd and upon their expressions, it was a serious conversation. I saw myself bulge out of the door, panting and drenched in sweat. 


“Sorry I am late” I announced “Did I miss anything?” 


I too must have noticed Jack’s worried guise when I asked “What’s wrong Jack?” 

Jack took a step forward, taking my hand in his and made me sit on one of the side couches “Dan, I am not so sure of tonight’s play. Maria said she has still not memorized her lines perfectly. I know it might sound silly but could we do a short practice. Just of scene four. I know it’s against the rules we made, but please?” 


Maria was like my sister. We have been doing plays together forever. Past a year, we have grown really close and it’s very unlike her to not be prepared. 


When we had just started this company, Jack and I had agreed that we would never rehearse on the day of the performance, no matter what. It was because we believed that rehearsing might pressurize the actors and that they should relax the whole day. 


My eyes trailed up to Maria just to find her blank eyes staring back at me. We had a very important performance coming up so I ultimately agreed. 


Scene four was the last scene I would appear. In that scene, Maria, a wealthy businessman’s daughter gets misled by the malice words of her father and kills her lover a.k.a me. We had all prompts ready for it. A fake knife, that would go in its handle as soon as pressed against something. We had packets of red ink attached at its bottom which would be used as fake blood. And then we had a plastic sword that would be my weapon.


The whole crew crowded at the corners as Maria and I rehearsed our lines.


“No trust me, Rose. I didn’t do it. I love you with all my heart and soul. I could’ve never betrayed you!” I said with a false sob lingering in my tone.


“I have heard enough. I know what is the truth and you shall blind me no more.” Maria yelled with the fake knife in her right hand. She stepped forward menacingly while I begged “No no no! Rose, please. Just listen to me.”


“I am sorry, love. This is how we end.” And with these final words, Maria plunged the knife into me. I let out a yell and fell dramatically on my knees. Splotches of red ink stained my shirt. 


Jack then finally came out of the dark, clapping. “Well done, Maria. Are you ready now?” 


“Absolutely captain” Maria replied with a smirk “Right Dan?” 


But I was still lying on the ground, not an inch moved. Maria’s smirk changed into a nervous laugh. 


“C’mon Dan, get up,” She said while giving my arm a soft kick. 


“Dan?” Jack said sitting beside me. “Dan?” He soon started to shake me vigorously but it turned out to be of no use. 

With shaking hands, he checked my pulse. 


Maria took a step back and gasped. “No! How could this- no no no” She looked at the knife in her hand, covered in red ink.


Turns out, the last yell was too real to be fake. 


All of this rained on me like rocks. It was Maria. It was Maria who had killed me. But why would she do that? I always thought of her as my sister. We were so good friends then why? A part of me still wanted to believe it wasn’t her but when the truth is reflecting right in front of you, there is no way to deny it. I could feel my eyes well up but all that rolled down my cheeks were thick vapours of ash.

 

It was too much to handle. I ran and ran until I found myself in the dressing area. Even though I was invisible to mortal eyes, I felt an urge to hide somewhere. It couldn’t be really Maria, could it? It could possibly be an accident. Or maybe- 


“Good work, Charlo” My thoughts got distracted by a sharp voice. 


“Ay, master. Charlo ay good at everything. As long as you pay the price” 


The first man replied with a chuckle. “How could I forget that. Here”. He handed a handsome amount of notes to Charlo. 


The man then sighed “I hope he rests in peace” and the two men share a laugh. 

It took me no longer to strike the familiarity in the voice. It was the last person I ever could expect. Jack. 


But why would he ever do that? If my heart could shatter the second time, it just did. I might have even forgiven Maria, but Jack? We loved each other so much, at least I thought we did. When dad died, I had always seen a part of him in Jack. I remember him being our angel when I had typhoid and my sister was down with a high fever. After my sister died, we had grown closer than ever. Then why?


I was again in the endless room. I guess some questions always remain unanswered.


I just wish I had died better. 

That’s my only regret. 


December 06, 2021 11:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Graham Kinross
12:47 Jan 13, 2022

“ I had cried myself to sleep every night, mourning her absence.” This is a powerful sentence. I think it would work better without the word had, it slows it down and the sentence would flow better. Your description of death is reminding me of the hell loops in the show Lucifer and also a bit of the Good Place. “Past a year, we have grown really close” do you mean in the past year? “misled by the malice words” good alliteration, I think it should be ‘malicious’ here. Nice twist with Jack, and we’ll never know why.

Reply

Keya J.
03:11 Jan 14, 2022

Thank you so much for the beautiful suggestions, Graham. I'll edit it ASAP. About Jack...who knows, I might come up with a sequel (if the prompt allows). I see you have a great body of work. Is there any piece, you would like me to give a read? (I'll try if I could commit to the series). :) Thanks again!

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:52 Jan 14, 2022

Reading any of it would be great. I’ve got the order of the series I’m writing written in my profile. I know there’s a lot of them but I keep thinking of more. Maybe you should write a sequel to explain Jack’s sudden betrayal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:34 Jan 06, 2022

Hi Keya, sorry I'm late to this one. I took a small break to clear my head, and now I'm back! :) I loved this story and thought it went really well with the prompt. The dialogue felt so fresh and inviting. I also really liked the twist and loved how you leave some things open to the reader. I like to do that in my stories and I think more people need to try that. Great job as always!! :)

Reply

Keya J.
07:18 Jan 06, 2022

It's absolutely fine! I am glad you took time to read this. And thank you so much for the lovely comment. Always keeps me motivated. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
16:46 Dec 23, 2021

Loved your imagery here. The writing felt really tight too. Dialogue also felt realistic. Liked the last regret linking the beginning and the end, I always enjoy a cyclical feel to stories. Well done! I liked the twist... but did I understand correctly that someone paid Jack to swap the knife to kill his brother? Or Jack paid Charlo... Who is Charlo? Why did they want him dead? I get the point is probably that Dan doesn't know why, but I want to know! I also see in the comments that noone else is confused, so maybe its just me being sloo...

Reply

Keya J.
04:59 Dec 25, 2021

Thanks again for the beautiful comment, Rachel. To clear the confusion, it was Jack who paid Charlo (a random dude) to kill his brother. At first, I had decided it was because he never liked Dan and partially blamed him for the death of his beloved sister, but eventually, I left it to the readers (lol). And...Merry Christmas!!! Hope this season fills you with hope, happiness and good health. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eric D.
16:54 Dec 18, 2021

Sad story it's always the ones that you love most to hurt you the worse ! Great story Keya really built the drama in this one. And used the prompt perfectly.

Reply

Keya J.
12:56 Dec 19, 2021

Thanks a lot, Eric! You made my day once again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zaara Rajaji
09:17 Dec 13, 2021

The build up of the story is engaging and suspense you've built here is great! Your descriptions allow the reader to really picture the story. Well done!

Reply

Keya J.
11:46 Dec 13, 2021

Thank you Zaara! Your comment left me smiling :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
17:27 Dec 11, 2021

I love the suspense and the twist was awesome. The story was written beautifully and I enjoyed reading it. Well done! Could you please read my latest story if possible? :)) Thanks :))

Reply

Keya J.
18:24 Dec 11, 2021

Hey, thanks a lot! I am glad you'll like it. Oh sure! Just give me a few days to cope up with some stuff and I'll be sure to leave my feedback on your story :)

Reply

Palak Shah
21:09 Dec 11, 2021

That's fine, thank you so much :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
07:51 Dec 09, 2021

You did a good job building up the suspense and throwing in a twist. Well done 😊

Reply

Keya J.
08:14 Dec 09, 2021

Thank you so much, Suma!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alex Sultan
20:21 Dec 08, 2021

Hi Keya - I think this story is great. I like the concept a lot, a play gone wrong, and my favourite part was the stabbing. I like how you built up to it, and the twist is great. Clarity came across fine to me. I had no issues following along and imagining it. Here is what I have for notes. I hope it is not taken negatively: Three years back when my sister died, I felt like a part of me had died[,] but they just forgot to bury me. -I really like this as an opening sentence! Your skill at writing them is definitely getting better and bette...

Reply

Keya J.
08:14 Dec 09, 2021

Thanks a lot, Alex! This seriously made my day! Thank you for checking this one out. All noted. I'll be more careful about the punctuations and commas next time. Like you mentioned, I have tried to avoid the repetition of 'I' but there is this one sentence, I am not able to find an alternative of - 'I take a step forward with a sudden urge tensing the back of my shoulders. I have never felt so desperate before.' Btw, do you think the title is good enough? Any better suggestions would be really appreciated. :) Thanks again!

Reply

Alex Sultan
23:09 Dec 10, 2021

I'm glad I could help, and, yeah, first-person POV can be really tricky like that. I think the title is good! It makes sense with the story.

Reply

Keya J.
03:19 Dec 11, 2021

It took me quite a while to come up with the title but your comment is relieving. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Johana Htwe
13:01 Dec 06, 2021

OMG again!!! There is a huge twist near the end of the story; really unexpected. As always, you come with perfect description and beautiful creative sentences. Keep writing. I am looking forward to your masterpiece as you mentioned.😉

Reply

Keya J.
13:15 Dec 06, 2021

THANKS, A TON, J! I was a bit uncertain if the protagonist watching and talking about himself would lead to any confusion but your comment left me smiling. Thanks! Just waiting for the next prompt :)

Reply

Johana Htwe
08:26 Dec 07, 2021

Not confused at all! The story is very clear and well-described.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
12:17 Dec 06, 2021

Hello all, I have tried to step out of my comfort zone for this one. Though I doubt the clarity of this piece. Let me know what you think about it. All critiques welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.