2 comments

General

I held my head up and walked through the hallways filled with lockers. Many eyes staring at me, examining the new me. I was once scared of change, of being the person I truly am. And now here am I, being true to myself in all aspects.

A few months ago, I’m a jock, a bully, a guy who only knows to mess around. I go out drinking all-night, partying like a drunken old man. I am the beast that everyone thought I am. The worse guy you could ever encounter in our area.

But behind all of those, is a person who only wished to fit in the society. To be a part of it and never be left behind. That is why, I chose this kind of life. To be someone who stands atop, that everyone feared. So that I could be a part of this cruel society everyone is living. And I still hadn’t had enough.

I continued living that way, being beaten up and the one beating up. I have been sent to a counselor multiple times. I ignored every advice, every lecture they give.

And all of that changed when I met the person who would change my life. Jordan, a regular high school student in our high school. I met him while I was on a walk back from counseling. That is also the time when I received my final warning from the school. That if I don’t change, I would be kicked out. It made me furious to the extent that I destroy everything in my way.

“Hey!” he called out. I stopped, not daring to give him a single glance. I continued walking again, ignoring his call. “I said ‘hey!’” he called out again.

I paused, and took a glance at him with a scowled face. Inside a classroom, in the far end of the room, there he sat in the windowsill. His hands held tightly on the sill, one leg bent over. A small smile curved on his lips, a mischievous one that tells me that he brings trouble.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“Darwin Montelo, right?”

“Yes,”

“Jordan, Jordan Walker.” He stood up, approaching me and laying his hand out for a handshake.

My eyes fell on his hands, questioning him, “What do you want? Are you new here?”

He surrendered his hands in the air, raising it. He managed to chuckle despite the scowled and intimidating look I keep giving him.  “You do know who I am right?” I asked.

“Yes, yes! Definitely. I have heard that you are this school’s most feared guy.” He stated. “Obviously, I don’t get why you’re called that because there is nothing to be feared.”

“Are you blind? Or are you looking for a fight?” I bawled.

“I’m here to be a friend.” He offered. A friend? Did he lose his mind? I stared at him from head to toe, examining him. Petite, slim and pale; almost as if he has disorder. His golden blonde hair neatly trimmed. His height measuring mine.

“You are insane.” I exclaimed and walked out, leaving him inside the room dumbfounded. I couldn’t care less. I do not need friends, only people who are willing to go with me in my crazy stunts.

Days passed and his routine continued. He managed to find where I am in all occasion, accompanying me around like a rat. I warned him countless times but none of it seemed to pass through his head. I groaned, scowling every single minute of it. And yet, there he is, continuing to ask me to be his friend like a child who keeps pestering his parents.

And since I can’t do anything about it, I left him be and his noisy mouth. Each and every time, he has a story ready to share. One is about a boy who wished to be a police one day, the other is a girl dreaming to be like a queen bee and one time he talked about a boy who wished to be part of the society.

The story piqued my interest and found myself getting along with him. It reminded me of myself and how I relate to it in more ways than one. In the end, I gave in and accepted his offer of being a friend. The bright smile he gave me once I accepted him as a friend surprised me.

For weeks, we’ve been together. Goofing around and being one of those regular, close friends. It’s when I thought that I am slowly changing. I haven’t been in a fight for almost two weeks which never happened before. I never gone to a single party or a crazy stunt. And more than that, I found myself sitting inside the classroom, listening to the teacher’s voice.

As weeks became months, my life changed in drastic ways I never thought I could. And when I finally thought things are going well, he disappeared.

Jordan transferred school two months after we became friends. It was also the time I found out about his situation. That every two months, he and his parents has to move into different places because of their work. That Jordan has no choice but to move out whether he likes it or not. And before we know it, he’s gone and I am left alone, back to my usual routine. Being the feared.

His last day in school is the last time I would be able to see him in person. As they move to a different country, the only way for me to communicate with him is via social media and I am fine with that. Little did I know, that his presence itself gave me the boost I needed to finally change and be the true person I am.

“I hope you become the person you wish to be.” Jordan stated. His final words to me before he left for good.

I locked myself in my room and flopped on my bed. The room still and silent, no noise nor shouts or anything that can disrupt the peace. I closed my eyes, my breathing steady and let myself sink deep in thought.

Jordan came when I am at my worse. He arrived the moment where I needed someone. His persistence changed me, giving me the courage and confidence to finally be a proper student. I became a student like any other.

I slapped myself with both hands and let everything he has done to me sink in. And I made my decision to left my old ways behind.

The next day, I left my gang and my positioned behind. I stopped going to parties I was invited into and even deleted most of my contacts. I apologized to my parents and promised that I’ll be the son they wish me to be and be proud of it. To fully commit myself in studying.

It took quite some time for me to get a hang of the new change. People continued to ignore me and fear me but it didn’t stop me from fitting in to society. Another month passed by and it was enough time for me to fully change myself.

I looked into the mirror, staring at the new me I created thanks to Jordan’s help. To the me today that was given a second chance to prove and be honest of myself. The new, better version of myself. And I swore that I would never go back to the life I used to live.

I entered my classroom like how I usually go in these days. Chatting with the new friends I made and to my classmates that I never noticed before. My grades made a rapid improvement and I’ve been going to different group studies.

“Hey, have you heard that Jiz is back at it again?” one of my classmates mentioned.

“Another fight?”

“Yeah, just happened this morning. I heard he’s sent to the counselor’s office. Many said that it’s his last warning.”

“You mean the new leader of the jocks?” I asked.

“Yeah, man, you’re one of them before, right?” my friend asked.

“Once, but I left.” I answered.

After hearing the news, I couldn’t help but to remember the old times. Jiz is the same as me. A jock. And his situation is even worse than mine. He became known as the feared ever since I left and he ruled the school like it was nothing. And now he’s about to get kicked out if he doesn’t mature.

Classes ended and I stayed inside the classroom until everyone left. I watched as the students left the campus from the window. I sat up in the windowsill, bending one leg up and gripping the sills. It reminded me of the time I first met Jordan and if I’m right…

“Hey!” I called out.

Jiz swooped in the hallway, his hands in his pocket and body slouched. He paused, but continue walking and not even dared lay a glance at me.

“Hey, Jiz!” I called out again.

This time, he stopped and tilted his head to face me.

“What do you want?” he scowled.

“Darwin Montelo.” I stood up, approaching him with my hand held out.

His brow raised, questioning me. “And that is supposed to be?”

“Let’s be friends, Jiz Sorano.”

August 09, 2020 06:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Crystal Lewis
15:17 Aug 15, 2020

I really like this and how it came full circle. Nicely done. :) Feel free to read my story from this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
21:24 Aug 19, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.