The Flip-Side

Submitted into Contest #160 in response to: End your story with someone dancing in the rain.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Thriller Horror

FOOTAGE RECOVERED FROM THE FILES OF EDENCO’S 

DISTRICT HEADQUARTERS, DATED 7-23. 

Click. A red light reading “ON AIR” glows overhead. A tall man with a green blazer and blonde hair sits at a leather chair, a large set of tan headphones resting atop his head. 

“KDLR 103FM’s Leo Green comin’ at you live from the ivory tower. 

“Record high temps again today, folks. It’s a scorcher at one-hundred-and twenty-one degrees. No precipitation in sight, which is a good thing. High of 140 with a low of 87. 

“Stay inside if you can, but if you have to go out, remember to put on your Edenco sunblock. Edenco is the trusted manufacturer of dozens of skin and hair products designed to keep you safe in the sun while also helping you look your best. Available at all official Edenco grocers. 

“Pick up a bottle for your old pal Leo while you’re out there, huh? The ivory tower is a tall beast, and the elevator’s been out since April.

“KDLR 103FM ready with a classic hit: Raspy’s own “Dig A Shallow Grave.” Never say old Leo never did you no favors. Catch ya on the flip-side.”

Click. The “ON AIR” light goes dark. From over the control panel, he looks at a huge tinted window in front of him. His producer, Jim, a heavyset man with long hair, gives him the finger, which Leo returns with a grin.

“How’s it looking down there, Jimbo?”

Jim spins around in his chair and looks at a huge monitor. He makes a few keystrokes and tilts the screen so Leo can see. It’s an image of the city square, with the word “LIVE” flashing in the top-right corner. People flood the streets, moving in and out of a huge aerial railway station. In the center of a square is a gigantic, dinosaur-like statue. The sky above is a washed-out blue.

“Business as usual, huh?”

Jim nods and moves the monitor away. 

Leo sits and puts his hands on the sound mixer. It hums, sending a soothing vibration through his fingers. He adjusts his headphones, pulls the mic to his face, and flicks a large red switch. The “ON AIR” sign lights up again.

“Short and sweet, just how I like ‘em. KDLR 103FM’s Leo Green reminding you that, while it may be dry out there, old Leo always goes down smooth. Top of the hour now, which means it’s time for some news.”

Leo taps a monitor on his screen, where a dozen headlines are waiting.

“Mayor Whitman will be in the square at noon today to celebrate our record heatwave with a speech. It must be an election year if His Honor will be out in public. If you’re looking for an afternoon siesta, folks, be sure to tune in for that one.”

Leo swipes up on the screen to the next headline, which is highlighted.

“Our top story: Ira Jayne Bergman’s trial begins next week amid a litany of delays. The 24-year-old faces charges on seven separate counts of terrorism. Bergman made headlines last year when his group, the Leviathans, breached security at the Ark, inciting worldwide panic. Bergman was apprehended before any damage could be done, but his coconspirators remain at large.”

As he speaks, Leo swipes his index finger across his monitor, which brings up the Flutter home-page. The number one trending phrase is #LETITRAIN. He taps on the phrase and scans the results.

“Bergman’s devotees have already taken to Flutter, demanding Bergman be set free and all charges against him be dropped. A statement made by the Leviathans went viral last June, where they vowed to finish what Bergman started.”

Leo cues up an audio clip from the #LETITRAIN page:

“Human beings thrive on water! The world thrives on water! Let the titan reign over us if it means we’re no longer forced to live in a desert of artificial dross!”

Shaking his head, Leo closes the clip with a tap.

“The trial will commence next Monday at 7AM. This one’ll bring out the crazies, folks, so I’d watch the VODs from the safety of your homes. If you decide to brave this heat, however, make sure to stay hydrated with Edenco’s Hydrobars. They give you all the hydration you need to stay active, healthy, and happy. Edenco’s Hydrobars, available at all Edenco grocery stores.

“KDLR 103FM. It’s one-hundred-and twenty degrees right now. Clear skies today again, thankfully. New high of 138 and a… low of 81.”

Leo pauses, turns the “ON AIR” light off, and clears his throat. He quickly turns the light back on.

“Your main main Leo Green has a new one for you today, folks: “Carbon Copy” by The Light Fantastic. Catch ya on the flip-side.”

He hits the “ON AIR” light and pulls off his headphones. Jim is staring at him from the other side of the glass.

“What?”

Jim gestures to the “ON AIR” light.

“Just took me by surprise, is all. When was the last time the temp ever went down before noon?”

A blue light flashes, causing both Leo and Jim to stand. Leo’s screen reads “URGENT BULLETIN.”

“What in the—”

Grabbing his headphones, Leo quickly sits back down, hits the “ON AIR” light, and presses a red button on his panel. The song fades out.

“Folks I hate to interrupt a band while they’re doing their thing, but we’ve got us a bit of urgent news here on—”

Before Leo can finish, the message vanishes from his screen, and the blue light stops flashing. Leo stifles a chuckle.

“False alarm I guess, folks. Sorry about that. Let’s start the song over and let the boys have their three minutes.”

He turns the “ON AIR” light off again and shrugs at Jim.

“What was that?”

Jim shrugs back.

“Did you see what it said?

Jim shakes his head.

“Guess it wasn’t a big deal. Probably just—”

The blue light flashes again, but this time Leo doesn’t go on the air. He turns to the screen and reads the headline.

“What in the…”

He reaches for the “ON AIR” light, but the bulletin disappears again. A second later the blue light goes out.

“Jimbo, what the heck’s happening?”

Jim throws his arms up. His eyes are bulging.

“Did you see it that time?”

Jim nods vigorously, his headphones shifting atop his head.

“It can’t be real, right?”

Jim jabs his finger at the overhead speaker: dead air. Leo curses and quickly hits the “ON AIR” light.

“Folks it’s been a strange morning at the ivory tower. You’ll have to forgive you old friend Leo Green here at KDLR 103FM; his second cup of Caffoplasm hasn’t kicked in yet. Which reminds me: Edenco’s Caffoplasm is the only caffeinated beverage you need to stay awake and alert during your morning commute. Caffoplasm is available where all Edenco products are sold.

“Here’s one from Haste’s debut album “1000 Doorways” titled “The Wild Huntsman.” She’s a long one, so turn it up and I’ll catch ya on the flip-side.”

Leo hits the “ON AIR” light and gestures for Jim to turn his monitor. He does so, and the live feed of the town square can be seen. It looks the same as before, the sky the same bright canvas of blue.

“Just a glitch, or something, right?”

Jim doesn’t respond. He’s staring at his phone now, his chest heaving.

“Jimbo, what’s got you all riled up?”

Still no response from Jim, so Leo stands and bangs on the glass.

“Hey! Get your brain on the air, will ya?”

Jim looks up. His face is pale. He holds his phone screen toward Leo, which is on the Flutter home-page. The number one tending word makes his jaw drop.

“Impossible.”

Leo turns to his monitor and refreshes the Flutter home-page. He taps on the trending word, and is bombarded by thousands of posts replying to one message: a picture of a small black smudge in the sky.

“#CLOUD in sky! Evac the city!!!”

“footage of #CLOUD is hoax. #ARK is fine.”

“Leviathan did it! #CLOUD coming for city square!!”

“This can’t be right. Can’t be.”

A switch board lights up next to Leo’s console. Leo looks at Jim, who shrugs and points back. Leo nods and hits the “ON AIR” switch.

“KDLR 103FM. Now normally I save my call-in segment ‘till after lunch, but we got a buncha calls comin’ in already, so why don’t we change things up a bit?”

Jim hits a few buttons, then points to Leo.

“This is your pal Leo Green on KDLR 103FM. You’re on the air.”

A fuzzy voice buzzes through the overhead speakers.

“Hey Leo! Chad here. Love your show! You hear about these cloud sightings everyone’s talking about on Flutter? Any truth to ‘em?”

“I sure have, Chad, and I say it’s a bunch of jerky. Thanks so much for listening.”

Leo gestures to Jim, who hits another button.

“It’s Leo Green and you’re on the air.”

“Leo the cloud is real! My cousin saw it just over the horizon in—”

Leo gestures to Jim again, who quickly disconnects the call.

“Folks a gentle reminder to make sure to have a question ready for old Leo before you get on. Next caller, you’re on the air.”

“The reckoning is near. Soon the heavens will open.”

“That’s super, Cowboy, but unless you have a—”

“Your precious Edenco wants to keep you in the dark, but the truth is you’re too much in the sun. Tell me,’o Voice Of The People, were you warned, even briefly, of the coming storm?”

There is dead air for two full seconds before Leo clears his throat. He points to Jim, who hits a button on his panel. 

“Listen, pal, Halloween ain’t for another few months, so what say we pull the plug on all this end-of-the-world stuff? KDLR 103FM with another long one for ya: “The Fields of Flame,” by Tiger Claws.”

Leo hits the “ON AIR” light, and leans back in his chair. He speaks to himself, his back turned from the producer’s booth.

“How did he know about the emergency broadcast alert?”

He shakes his head and chuckles. 

“He couldn’t have known. Get ahold of yourself, Leo.”

Jim taps on the glass. His monitor is turned toward Leo, displaying the same image of the town square. The statue, the titan, still looms over the scene.

“Looks good to me. I knew that guy was full of—”

But when Leo looks closer, he notices something. The railway system, the one surrounding the statue, is boarding. Leo checks the time on his own monitor.

“The tram should be across town right now. It never docks at—”

He looks at Jim.

“Jimbo, why don’t you go outside and have a look?”

Jim shakes his head. His face is as white as a sheet.

“C’mon, man. We’ll be able to see the square in real time, and we’ll know that its—that everything’s where it should be.”

Every light on Leo’s switchboard is flashing now, like an overloaded Christmas tree. The song ends, leaving the studio in dead silence. Leo hits the “ON AIR” switch and stands up.

“Hi, folks. It’s your old buddy Leo Green here on KDLR 103FM. We’re experiencing some technical difficulties at the ivory tower, but we’re still here. I see a lot of callers waiting in line, so let’s take one now.”

Jim hits a few buttons on his panel and points to Leo. 

“You’re on the air with KDLR 103FM.”

Leo fields several calls, each one more banal than the last, before a familiar voice comes through his headphones. 

“Are you enjoying the rerun, ‘o Voice Of The People?”

Leo sits, grabs a pen and paper, and starts scribbling.

“Well if it isn’t my favorite caller. Couldn’t live without me, huh?”

“Do you see the coming storm yet, or is your vision still… clouded?”

“Slow down, Cowboy, I like riddles as much as the next guy, but how ‘bout givin’ it to me straight?” 

“Your precious Edenco, of course. They’re still looping your footage, aren’t they?”

“Why would they go and do that?”

“For the same reason they jammed the emergency broadcast: they can’t stop what’s coming, so why cause a panic?”

Leo holds a piece of paper up to Jim that reads “ROOF!!!” Jim shakes his head.

“You with those Leviathan jerks, partner? You sure sound like one of ‘em.”

Leo points to the piece of paper again, but Jim still shakes his head. The voice on the line chuckles. 

“Let’s just say the view from the Ark is beautiful.”

“From the Ark, huh? Tell me, Cowboy, what’s it look like?” 

“Like a reckoning, Mister Voice.”

The floor rumbles. Both Leo and Jim stand and look around.

“Oh! Did you feel that, Mister Voice? It’s awake! It has begun!”

The line goes dead.

“Hey Cowboy? Cowboy! What was that?”

The other end is silent. 

“Cowboy! Talk to me!”

The floor shakes again, harder this time. An unseen force rips away the top of the studio like a tornado, and Leo is knocked to the floor. When he gets up, he turns to the producer’s booth, but everything past the now-shattered glass is gone.

Jim?! JIM!”

The city square is visible now from the exposed wall, and it’s in ruins. The statue, the titan, is moving on its own, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake. The railway has collapsed, the streets are littered with rubble, and bodies fill every empty space. 

Leo stands at the edge of the building, oblivious to the chaos around him. Instead, he looks to the sky, holds out his hand, and lets the water droplets fill his upturned palm.

“Rain… I can’t remember the last time I…”

He turns to his control panel, now covered in rainwater, and hits the “ON AIR” button, which flickers to life for brief a second before going dark.

“KDLR 103FM. It’s your favorite morning man, Leo Green, comin’ at you from the ivory tower. Be advised we’re experiencing heavy precipitation today, and it’s got that big old titan all riled up.

“Make sure to take shelter in one of Edenco’s convenient Apocoshelters. There’s no better shelter from the storm than Edenco’s Apocoshelters. Tickets for an Apocoshelter can be purchased, you guessed it, anywhere Edenco products are sold.”

The titan is moving toward Leo, wading through the rubble with a graceful ease. It roars, a metallic below that rattles what remains of the building.

“Looks like my time’s up, folks, but I’m gonna leave you with one of my all-time favorites: “The Sun’s Goin’ Down,” by The Salamanders. Catch ya on the flip-side.”

Leo hits the “ON AIR” switch, but it does nothing. As the giant beast gets closer, he laughs, an unhinged, raspy cackle, and dances in the exposed studio, the rain still falling down upon him from the ebony sky.

FOOTAGE ENDS.

August 24, 2022 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michelle Konde
18:04 Aug 28, 2022

Such a cool perspective. I really enjoyed everything about this story.

Reply

01:47 Aug 29, 2022

Thanks so much! I had a great time working on this one ^_^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.