A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED (A Fiction based in an African Setting)

Submitted into Contest #40 in response to: Write a story about someone turning to a friend in a time of need.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was on a sunny afternoon, in the middle of January, somewhere in Africa. Joyce was busy with her usual domestic chores and it was in her schedule to make sure the home was sparkling clean before leaving for the ATM machine so as to withdraw the little amount she had left for the weekend groceries.

Joyce was a widow with two beautiful kids; 4-year-old Jane who was the elder and 6 months' old Austin;"the Baby of the house",as he was fondly called. Her late husband fought bravely against the dreaded lung cancer but unfortunately lost the battle few months before Austin was born. Joyce battled depression for months because of the deep love and closeness she shared with her husband. People around their vicinity used them as an example of exceptional couple in the neighborhood. He was her best friend,Soulmate, Companion, Confidant and her "King" as she fondly called him.

On his hospital bed,few moments before he gave up the ghost, he could only communicate his lovely wife with gestures. Gazing at his pregnant wife with a weary sunken eyes,a skeletal face and skinny hands,he beckoned her. When Joyce came close, she was already worn out with sleepless nights and constant weeping, she couldn't hold back her tears. With what seemed to be his last strength, he grasped her hands firmly into his palms and with a faint smile on his face,Joyce could read exactly the thoughts that were going on in her once vibrant, lovely,agile, and sweet lovely and romantic husband. He was nodding his head on what seemed to be sort of affirmation, satisfaction and fulfillment, he gently rubbed his wife's pregnant belly and suddenly twisted his head and gave up the ghost.

It took the Doctors some hours to convince Joyce that her husband was no more,because even in death,he managed to put up a smile on his lifeless body. At that moment,Joyce felt hopelessness and lost the courage to move on. She tried to hold herself and be strong,at least for her little Princess Jane and the unborn baby.She was later taken to the car to be driven home after her husband's Remains was deposited at the hospital's Morgue. One of the Doctors who witnessed all that ensued between Joyce and her husband during his final moments approached her with these words, "Mrs Joyce,you need to be strong for your kids, your husband was a warrior, and through his gestures, I felt the satisfaction and trust he had on you to finish the legacies he started to build. He knew you would take care of his kids,train them to be the best ,make him proud and help him achieve the rest of his unfulfilled dreams... and he died happy,filled with smiles."

It was the Doctor's words among numerous others from sympathizers that helped her to move on in what seemed to be her lonely world.

After the birth of Austin, life was still tough for Joyce. She was recently sacked from her job on a fateful day that she rushed her daughter Jane from the hospital for fever without a written permission from her employer. On this particular day,she rounded off her chores on time as usual and headed for the nearby ATM to withdraw the little amount left in the account for the weekend. As she approached the center, she sighted a long queue but was determined to wait because there was no other ATM centre around the area.

Before she left for the ATM, she left Jane at the care of her good neighbour to play with her neighbour's daughter who was around Jane's age mate and friends. Little Jane also reminded her mum to buy her a "Rapunzel" doll that she cherished and always fantasized a lot which she promised earlier to buy her,along with a strawberry ice cream. Jane was able to finish her homework and also emerged the best in class for her weekly class Continuous Assessment Test in her school. With this achievement by her little Princess,she gave her a strong promise to buy all when coming back from the ATM.

When it got to Joyce's turn, she slotted in her card,did the transaction but alas! She got an instant debit alert message on her phone but no cash was dispensed. She was confused and quickly called her bank. The Bank's Customer care told her that they had been having serious network issues,that she should expect a reversal of the cash debited within 7 working days. The bank also apologized for the inconveniences but Joyce was furious at their reaction, "...this is weekend, how could you do this to me? how will my kids and I feed these few days..." She was confused because that was the only amount that was left in her account. Many past memories flashed through her mind,she remembered her late husband, the endless challenges and encounters. Many unanswered questions. What and how would she explain to her 4-year-old that her Rapunzel doll,and the ice cream were not bought.

As all these were going on, a certain woman who was behind her earlier at the queue was watching Joyce's frustration from a corner in the Premises. Joyce who noticed the woman's keen interest in her situation, quietly brought her son down whom she had been carrying all along and both of them sat on one of the vacant seats at the Banking Hallway.

"My name is Ann" ,the woman whispered with smiles as she sat beside Joyce and her little boy."Your boy is so cute ",she added. " Thank you" ,Joyce replied with a quick smile."I am Joyce " She said as she shook hands with the "strange" woman.

"I saw it all...", the woman continued," I understand what you are going through, I've been there too,I know how it feels..." "Please manage this..." She added as she dipped her hands inside her purse and brought out some cash."Just manage this for the weekend while you wait for reversal from your bank..."

Joyce was reluctant at first but had to accept the woman's offer of kindness because of the sincerity that was written all over the woman's face. She couldn't believe her eyes! "...but...but Ann,this is far beyond the total sum in my account..." She screamed as she counted the money."Please I will definitely pay you back by next week.I just need to buy a Rapunzel baby doll and Ice cream for my baby girl which I promised to buy her as a reward for emerging the best in her class.

"No!no ! no! " Ann mildly interrupted. "I'm giving you this as a gift from the bottom of my heart."

After Joyce's encounter with this "stranger-turned-friend", she began to believe that there were actually real Angels on earth in human form. She later called Ann few days later to show more appreciation of her kindness and within the days of their communication, Ann requested for her house address and later paid her a visit. During the visit, she bought and brought so many groceries for Joyce and her kids. Joyce, before Ann's visit had told little Jane about a certain "Angel friend" that she got and Jane had been dreaming of this day when she would show her Rapunzel baby doll to her Mum's "Angel Friend". On Ann's arrival,Jane,and her little brother Austin,along with their Mum gave Ann a warm reception while Jane was busy showing Ann her Rapunzel and told Ann that she had the best mother in the whole wide world.

Joyce with the help of Ann later secured a good job in a reputable company managed by Mr.James,Ann's husband. Also with Ann's contacts, Little Jane was able to pass and secure a scholarship to study to a university level at such a tender age.Her brilliance paid off!.

" What can I do to repay you for all your kindness? " Joyce asked Ann on the day of her induction into her new company. Ann replied, "No! I should rather be the one to do more for you,because you are a good,brave,courageous and exemplary woman. Your husband passed away with smiles,satisfaction and trust because he knew he had a warrior as a wife,who would conquer All to give her children the best in life, and your two Cute kids; Jane and Austin will surely make you proud and emerge as shinning stars in their generation."

Joyce couldn't find more words to reply,she gave Ann a long deep hug and whispered in her ears,"Thank you so much my friend, a Friend in need is a friend indeed."

May 05, 2020 02:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.