0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Coming of Age Bedtime

On the 3rd Street, Macon Georgia lies a wondrous sight of cherry blossom trees which sooth it's onlookers who pass by. It is said to be there for quite a long time as locals say this is the most withholding sight in the entire state and have witnessed it's compelling purity for several decades.


Leanne Ginnet


My head is bursting with various thoughts on my way to school, I'd do anything than attend another day of this miserable torture. A few girls pass by me, almost pushing me down on the slippery rainy street as a result my socks and eyes are almost soaked. Nearly noticing the time of the first bell I run my way towards the main gate, I really need to get away for today. My parents normally don't allow me out since we haven't been to Georgia for more than 3 months so it's a bit of a challenge finding your way around on the modest streets, yet a lot easier than to get through 7 hours of that school. That day last week we came across a beautiful place on our way to a relatives house If only I could go there once again the one and only place where I felt peace for the first time since I arrived here. I try to trace back my steps the best I could, for today I don't care about anything, a normal sixteen year old girl who is roaming around on the streets freely and fiercely with no desire to be held back by the chains that bind her in the school or even at home. My thoughts were interrupted by the smell of melted butter and chocolate! I rush to the nearby store selling the most beautiful crepes ever and as I start wandering around once again delighted with the crepe in my hand, soaked by the soft rain I notice something that nearly made my heart skip a beat. There it is those cherry blossom trees that can bring you to a parallel universe at first sight where expectations don't fail reality. The beautiful trees for some reason look even more mesmerizing inthe rain I sit on a bench and get lost with the smell, the cold air, the warm crepe and tears but they're happy tears this time, therefore I know now that I'm not lost alone and these trees are going to be here for me whenever I need them.


Tanaka Aito


The spring is finally here, everyone awaits this season almost all year round and so do I in some ways. After these 3 years I've come to accept the reality and cherish all the memories that I have today. I go for a walk as I'll be leaving for Tokyo in less than a day, I sure do miss my hometown though but it doesn't feels like hometown anymore the way it once used to. There are many people surrounding the trees, a lot of tourists, lovers come around for a visit. I recall just a few years ago I was one of them back then, with my first love Ayame we would walk around the block holding hands, kiss under the trees talk about our future like we had a clue I smile at how stupid times can seem when one looks back on them in the future with their wiser self. Today she is happily married with someone else who probably makes her happier than I ever did, inspite of having bitter feelings I do wish her to be happy. As for me even though these cherry blossom trees will always remind me of her atleast once a year, it won't necessarily ruin it for me anymore knowing that I can cherish these trees on my own as well as someone better who'll come along and the strings of the past won't withhold me from experiencing such beauty that life is.


Joanne Miller


The loud ringing of my cellphone startled everybody in my office, that's weird I always have it on vibration instead that's my mom, probably calling to check if I am home yet. These days work has been constantly engaging and due to such a hectic year I was unable to visit my family. 

It's almost midnight and I'm desperate to get some rest when I receive a gut wrenching call from my mom, breaking the unfortunate news of my grandfather's health. Immediately after I take my time processing the situation I book the flight of next morning to Georgia.

The next day we all say our final goodbyes and before I even knew it he was laid to rest. The funeral was beautiful and hard but I know grandfather lived his best life walking home I notice the cherry blossom tree on the third Street where we would often come when I was little, they still look the same and blissful, they signify hope and make you yearn for their next arrival, just as that of life.


Philip Hoffman


Today is the first day of middle school I take the corner most seat hoping no one would approach me, looking at the familiar and unfamiliar faces walk through the door I didn't expect to see her walk in. Stephanie Tonkin is the most beautiful girl of our school and the kindest, purest soul, I've secretly been in love with her throughout elementary school but I didn't expect her to come to my class and wave at me which, caught off gaurd I totally ignored her causing a distressed expression on her face, I could already look forward at one miserable year.

Two months later my love for Stephanie only grows stronger and I more awkward I could feel the distance that I have created between us even though she is always kind to me. One late evening after practicing track and field for hours I walk home exhausted when I overhear loud screams from a nearby shop, concerned I peep through the trees and notice Stephanie running out of the shop crying while a middle aged man, whom I know is not her father yells something back, naturally I decided to follow her. She clearly tried to hold back her tears in public and proceed to walk on her way, looking at her like this actually hurted me and I chased after her. "Are you alright Stephanie"

"Hey it's you, isn't it late"

"Nevermind that are you okay? I saw you just now"

"Come with me" she simply took my hand and started dragging me around with her, I wanted to resist and inquire but no, this just felt right, this was everything love does to you.

"Here look at that" she said gesturing around the cherry blossom trees that we were surrounded by, ofcourse I've been here before but for some reason the moonlight the night lamps the street everything looked straight out of a magical book we sat on a bench nearby, after a few small talks, I asked her what went down at the shop earlier but she shut me down, however she cluched onto my hand tight and gave me the sweetest smile that I have ever witnessed and just like that I knew I was forever indebted to the beautiful cherry blossoms for making me get together with my first love.

April 20, 2021 17:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.