0 comments

Mystery

It wasn’t the heat that was the worst of it. Hundred-degree weather in what was supposed to be a breezy week-long camping trip. At the grounds called Angel’s Camp, the Cole family of four decided to stick their trip out to the end. Thank God we have our boat. Stated Roy the father of the group. He stated this after having to get ice at the general store for the third time that day. It was impossible to keep anything frozen at that point. His family consisted of two daughters and a loving wife Monica. They were joining another family, the William's, a family of three. There were Mike and Tessa and their sixteen-year-old son Brandon. 

Lake soon, said Mike. He had had a stroke a couple years back and still had trouble with his speech, though it was enough to get his thoughts across. 

Once they made it on the lake things felt more enjoyable. No one wanted to leave the water. As soon as you come back in the boat the heat would pierce your skin and you’d already have dried. 

We should be getting back now, we still have to get dinner ready, reminded Monica. 

As everyone returned into the boat Roy was still in the water seemingly diving down. He came back up for air.

My wedding ring is gone, He shouted. It had already sunk and he could in no way reach for it. After a few minutes of him looking Monica assured solemnly, Hun, it’s alright we can get a new one,

Ron’s voice fell in disappointment, alright, let’s go. 

After dinner, as night fell the heat prevailed in only lowering a small amount.

Time to take a shower girls. Monica called out to her girls giggling in the tent. 

Melonie, the youngest at age nine, hated taking showers at campsites- She would frown and say on the journey, I hate seeing daddy long legs in the shower.

Using their lanterns the three ventured to the camp's showers. The night was chattering with nature. One could only imagine what we were making all those sounds. 

Melonie would remind herself how light attracts bugs which always annoyed her. It made her not want to use her lamp at all to avoid any encounters. 

Once they had made it to the showers the entire place made Melonie uncomfortable. Her face turned sour as there were large beetles flying in and out, the cracks and corners of the walls had spiders actively weaving. Can I please not take a shower, she asked nicely as to not irritate her mother. Melonie, you're okay they’re not going to hurt you. Monica responded in a rash tone that kept Melonie from exclaiming her concerns. 

Melanie’s older sister Francis wasn’t afraid of bugs and started her shower with no problem. Melonie’s stomach was aching from the anxiety of any of the large beetles landing on her. 

The shower for Melonie was thankfully over and the two dried off and changed into their jammies. When exiting their mother walked out first and made a loud gasp telling her girls to walk out slowly. When the two came through the doorway two very large black tarantulas stood in their path and were making their way into the showers -attracted to the lights. Melanie froze in fear. Her sister wearing flip-flops fearlessly kicked one in which it quickly stood up on its legs in defense which made the situation all that much worse for the crew.  

Walking around it slowly their mother warned who was just as afraid as Melonie at this point. 

They made it around in what felt like an hour making it around them in such a small space. 

They returned to camp quickly. Monica told the rest of the crew in what was now a humorous mishap and laughed at how Francis did not hesitate to kick the large arachnid. Roy and Mike noted that they also saw scorpions while walking about. The tow husbands half-joked about going back to the showers to capture the tarantulas as a pet for Brandon. Tessa was not at all happy about the idea and was even more upset seeing Brandon's grinning face coming back with a glass jar with the creature inside. The Cole's dog Makoa, which translates to Brave, didn’t like the idea either as her barks seemed to show her disdain.

When Melonie saw this all she wanted was to fall asleep and wake up in her home. But it was hard for anyone to sleep with the hot air. Makoa would continue to bark at whatever noise she had heard but it was clear that even the dog was unhappy and uncomfortable. 

.At this point the family was miserable and they decided to head home the next day. 

Melonie had woken up with a pit in her stomach sick of this place. It was only she and her sister left in the tent with the smell of breakfast outside. She got dressed, left the tent only to see Tessa at the site with breakfast. Melonie's pit felt larger, Where’s everybody?

Your mom should be back soon. She’ll tell you what’s going on. 

 Tessa spoke in a quiet manner. Melonie’s face frowned as anxiety took over. The "not knowing' is what tests her patience and allows her racing thoughts to reign. Soon after, her mother came walking back. Finally, Melonie would know what had come about. To her disappointment, her mother talked with Tessa first. Not wanting to be patient any longer Melonie walked up to her mom. 

Mom, what happened? Is everything okay?

Monica was calm, not necessarily unhappy but had an uneasy energy. 

Our boat sank at the dock. Dad’s with Uncle Mike and some others getting it out of the water. 

Melonie’s eyes widened. She felt left out as she wanted to be there in support with her dad to help.

How did it sink? 

There was a switch, it wasn’t on to keep the boat floating.

Her mother explained.

Soon the four left camp and all went to the dock. 

They would view the boat getting craned up to the surface with all their towels and life vests floating on the water's surface, Melonie’s heart sank. She loved that boat, she loved all the memories that were with it. 

About an hour later she was back at camp. Her mom told her to start packing her things. Melonie wondered how this camping trip was so odd. Come to think of it there weren’t many other campers around-aside from the people they called in for the boat. All the distant general stores were self-service and the heat was excruciating. She stepped outside the tent to grab some water. When reaching in the useless cooler of lukewarm warm temperature, she saw something she had not noticed before. A tall tree in which she admired on first coming here had a small carving on it. She couldn’t understand what it said as it was another language. It read, Angelus Reprobi

Curious about it She grabbed a paper and pen to write it down to ask about later. She put it in her back pocket and continued to drink her water. 

When everyone was back at camp they noticed Makoa had knocked the glass jar over which the rock kept inside with the tarantula had killed it. While Brandon was upset Tessa was relieved that it wasn’t going home with them anymore. 

Everyone had packed up and finally were ready to leave on what would be their worst camping experience. Relieved to be leaving, Melonie reached for her paper which no longer was there. She was confused but she often misplaces things. Instead, she asked if anyone else had noticed the writing on the tree. Her dad replied saying he had noticed it. I think it kind of means Angel. Some teens must have written it. 

Somewhat satisfied with the answer, she closed her eyes and tried to sleep. She was just happy that she would be home soon. 


The two families would not have an easy way of getting home. They had to make several stops as one of their car’s tire flattened. Makoa got carsick and had threw up. Not too long after Francis was getting a fever. 

It is a good thing they left when they did or they or they would have not made it home at all. 

Angelus Reprobi is Latin for Fallen Angel. A historical name in which the camp owners changed to Angels for visitors. 


The lake in which it is common for people to lose things only takes items of value to those who cherish it. At the bottom, there are many things that have yet to be found. As for the Creatures of the camp still await to rise.


April 16, 2020 08:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.