0 comments

General

My name is Jenn short for Jennifer and tonight was my 13th birthday and also happened to be my first day at my new house in the middle of no where. We just moved here because my Dad got a new job not like I wanted to pfft. I laid down in bed thoughts whirling through crazily. I got up quietly and slipped on my furry slippers.

"I really shouldn't be doing this." I thought to myself. I tip-toed past my parents room the sound of snoring pounding through the door. I breathed heavily. I felt bad about sneaking out..especially at 1:00 in the morning. I just needed some fresh air to get the worry out of my mind. I opened the gate and went outside onto our dirt driveway. Then my back throbbed someone had bumped into me.

I spun around sweating with fear. I saw a boy my age with crystal blue eyes and messy hair staring right at me. "I'm so sorry." he said concerned. "Who are you?" I questioned. "I am Ian your next door neighbor you just moved into the yellow house next door right?" he answered. "Yes, my name is Jenn nice to meet you." I responded. "Couldn't sleep either?" He asked. I nodded. "Come with me I will take you to my favorite spot." He said.

He held out his hand and goosebumps crept up my arms. Thoughts of should I trust him or not flew rapidly throughout my mind. I blocked them out craving adventure. I took his hand nervously and he took off running and I connected to him still chased after. We arrived at a grassy hill and he motioned for me to sit and then he laid on his back and pointed up to the skies.

"See the stars there is just something magical about them..kinda like you." he said grinning. I grinned happily at him and then joined him on the ground. We talked for hours that night and we became the very best of friends for years. Then right on my junior year of high school we started dating. I was happy and he was happy. It was great until..it wasn't.

"Ian I have something to tell you." I stated. "What is it Jenn?" he asked kissing me gently on the cheek. "I got accepted into a college out of state." I answered quietly. "I thought we were going to the same college and we would be together for a few more years?" he asked. I shook my head sadly. "I think we are done here." he said angrily. I wanted to chase after him, but he had already stormed off.

College was great all my teachers were amazing. I just..wasn't. Ever since I had gone away to college and Ian left me I felt like a hopeless-romantic. No one wanted me and it seemed like all of my friends had a guy.

My second year I finally dated a guy named Sam. Sam was handsome, nice, smart, and even a football player! All the qualities that make up a AMAZING guy you would think. After, the first few dates I cut the line though. You're probably thinking..WHY JENN WHY???. Well, I just didn't fell like we had a connection. Like Ian and I had.

I just felt sad. I hadn't seen my parents in a while, schoolwork was piling on, and Ian. That boy I had fell in love with at age 13. Why was I still in love with him? I decided to push him out of my mind and move on in my life. One night, I went to far I must admit. I grabbed the picture of me and him that sat beside my bed. I didn't even knew why I still had that picture at that time. We were separated. I grabbed it and threw it across the room.

Glass shattered everywhere. I was pleased with the action. That frame and ripped picture was just like me. A ripped relationship a shattered heart. That picture deserved it. It wasn't going to bring me down anymore. I am going to be successful in life without that stupid Ian that occupies to much of my mind.

I soon got over Ian and started to forget more and more about Ian. I decided to date some more guys, but they were just eh not the guys for me. Instead of going out at night with my friends to parties, dates, and other silly things..I decided to stay home and study and work. To pay attention to the more practical things in life. And, soon I became the top of all my classes. Though this wasn't really a good thing now that I think about it.

Friends started ditching me because they said I didn't care about them and I was ignoring them a lot. Guys started losing interest in me because I wasn't the classic college party-girl. And, I became a teachers pet. Which basically wasn't a good name to have in College on your side. Maybe from an academic perspective, but in the social-popularity perspective I was a flop.

I decided to loosen up and have some fun. My grades slipped a little, but only a little. Didn't want to be to irresponsible and I got my friends back and guys started having interest in me. Life was great and this time in my life was one of the best. I was still doing great in class without being pushed around because I didn't go to parties. I loved it.

It was my third year of college and I had forgotten mostly about Ian than is until I went to go visit my parents over break. I drove down the road in my small two-seat car and parked by my parents house. "Mom..Dad so good to see you guys!" I said. They came and embraced me. We had my favorite meal (Grilled chicken and mac and cheese) that night that brought back so many wonderful memories growing up. Though the meal might seem plain it means a lot. It really does. I missed home.

That night I laid in bed and couldn't sleep. After all it was my 22nd birthday.

I know I really shouldn't be doing this, but I put on my fuzzy slippers and tip-toed quietly past my parents door trying not to wake and worry them. I opened up the gate and went onto the dirt pathway. My back throbbed someone had bumped into me. I spun around to see a handsome man with messy hair and a beard with the most beautiful crystal blue eyes.

Memories came rushing back. "Ian?" I asked. "Jenn?" He answered. We hugged. That night he took me back to the hill and we caught up on everything. It was great. I finished up college and started applying for my dream job. I came back to visit my parents in my small little car.

That night I laid in bed I couldn't sleep. I tip-toed out of the house in a beautiful white dress and a train. I opened up the gate onto a dirt pathway. A handsome man with crystal blue eyes offered me his arm. He led me to the peaceful grassy hill with friends and family from all around and the stars twinkling beautifully as ever. It turns out no one could sleep that night. After all it was Ian and I's wedding.

I walked down to meet my to-be husband. I looked up at the stars and whispered "thank you." they twinkled back in return as they were winking at me and saying "you are welcome." Then Ian and I kissed getting lost in the beauty of the evening.


April 29, 2020 02:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.