1 comment

General

Marie, Candy, Luna and Katy  were best friends since elementary school. They were like sisters. They did everything together. They spent almost every weekend either at each other's house or at the stores. Marie was the shy and more responsible one. Candy was the party animal of the group. Luna was the fashionable one out of the group. Katy was the athletic one in the group. The summer before Freshman year, Candy had gone to spend the summer at her family's summer club. Unfortunately, Candy had gotten into home trouble at the summer club. She had gotten into the bad crowd, and led up to her being kidnapped.  Candy’s family called her friends to see if they had heard anything about her. They didn’t know anything, and they were completely shocked. They were questioned by the police. 

Marie was the first to be questioned by the police. I remember being questioned by the police.  I was in too much shock to answer any of their questions. I couldn't stop crying, I couldn't believe she was actually gone. The whole group had always known that Candy was a really big party animal. She spent some of her time at college parties with her fake ID. I thought maybe she had gotten into an argument with a girl over a guy and things went wrong. She has gotten in trouble with other girls before. There were times when she got death threats from other girls. Our friends didn’t know this because she only trusted me with the information. I wanted to help the cops as much as I could but I didn't want to give too much information. I didn’t want to betray her trust. I just told the police that I didn’t know anything about it. 

Luna was the next to be questioned by the police. I didn’t cry about the situation as much as the other girls did. Not because I didn’t love her. But because I was just in complete shock. I didn’t want to believe she was gone. I just kept thinking that she was just going to waltz in through the door and everything would be how it was. I didn’t think she was kidnapped, rather I think he ran away. I didn't tell the police that. Candy and I were the closest in the group. We always talked about our deep thoughts together. I remember her telling me that her parents were abusive towards her and her brother. Because of this, I thought she just ran away. I called her every night and day to talk to her. She never answered me. I began to lose hope. After four months with no communication, I forsure knew she was actually gone. I didn’t want her to hate me from wherever she was. So I kept the secret to myself. I didn’t tell the police anything, I just said I didn’t know anything. 

Katy was the last to get questioned by the police. I spent the days after crying in my bed. I was mad. I don't even know who I was mad at. I was mad at myself. I was mad at everyone who was at the summer club. I was mad at her parents. I kept thinking about her yelling help and no one was helping her. I knew she was dating an older guy. I went up to him one day and confronted him to see if he knew anything about Candy. He said that he saw her at the summer club but they didn’t talk. She told him that she was leaving in the next couple days. And that was the last he heard from her. I felt like that wasn't the end of the story. I just told the police about the older guy and that was it. They didn’t think much of him so they didn't interview him. 

About a year after Candy’s disappearance, they decided to get together. They wanted to get together to grieve together. They sat and talked about memories with Candy. They laughed and they cried. They talked about life with Candy. “I still don't want to believe she's actually gone,” said Marie. They began to tell one another the secrets they all had from Candy. They soon started to think what if they can find out what happened to Candy. Luna gave the idea of what if the older guy had taken Candy. Katy said, “I had the same idea, but i confronted him about it and he didn’t know she went missing. He was in complete shock by it.” They tried to connect the dots between what they all know about Candy. They decided to go to the summer club to talk to people there. When they were there they saw a kid they knew from school.  They asked him if he knew anything or seen anything.  He just said that he saw Cadny talking to the old man. He saw them at the pool talking then they hugged and kissed. They were not certain that the old guy didn't have anything to do with her disappearance. At the end of the day, they still haven't gotten anything. But then their phones rang. They all got a message for Candy. They were shocked. The message was an address and it said to come alone. They were skeptical about going. So Luna decided to ask a question that only Candy knew the answer to. Just to make sure it was her. And it turns out that it was her. They meet up with Candy at a hotel room about an hour away from where they lived. Candy looked different, she lost her blonde hair for long black hair. Katy asked, “Why did you leave us Candy?” Candy explained that leaving was the best thing for her. She explained that shes pregnant with the older guy's child, and she thought that leaving was for the best. She said that if she was to come back, that her parents would make her give the baby up. She wanted to keep the baby. She said that the older guy had a plan for them to leave together to raise the baby away from everything they had known. The girls tried to understand and accepted that. They were just happy that she wasn't gone. 


May 08, 2020 00:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tolu Odel
03:14 May 14, 2020

Hello! I'm here from the critique circle. This was a creative story, but I think you could work on sentence variety and starters. All in all, this is good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.