And the snow fell forever.

Submitted into Contest #194 in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “Back to square one.”... view prompt

18 comments

Coming of Age Fiction

What are you fussing about, kiddo? Pops sighed as I rubbed my ski gloves together. He proffered me a shovel and his icy breath hovered between us like a question mark. I thought you loved the snow, he said and chuckled when I forced a weary smile. We’d been shifting snow for over two weeks and the white flakes had descended on our town like the dry skin from a giant’s eczematic scalp.

   It was fun on the first day when the snow gathered around the windows and settled in the front garden. It wasn’t deep enough to stop the school-run that morning and Pops cleared the driveway without my help. I recall dragging my sister, Nivia, out of her bedroom before breakfast and running outside to grab the crystalline confetti in my ravenous mitts. We made the most of the snow’s shallow deposit, scraping furrows along the car’s hood and windscreen, and compacting it into pint-sized incendiaries. With joyful abandon, we hurled our projectiles and gasped as they thudded on the garage door, missing Pop’s head by an inch. 

Leg it! Nivia hissed, bolting for safety.

You little varmints! Pops shouted, chasing us inside.

Boots off! Mum yelled as we collapsed in a heap, having messed up her clean floor.

   The sky was a giant oil-slick by three o’clock that first afternoon. Leaden clouds blocked out the sunlight, casting dark shadows over the town. The neighbourhood held its breath when the first clusters appeared and exhaled en masse as the showers became a torrent. There was no doubt that winter had arrived and everybody set about the business of last-minute shopping. Calm residential streets swirled into life with the sound of impatient horns and screeching brakes. Queues of cars jostled for priority, their tyres spinning like figure-skaters on ice-covered tarmac. In the aisles of our local supermarket, customers argued over toothpaste tubes and toilet rolls. 

   Nobody was certain how long it would last. There was no predicted end in sight. The news reports had warned us local shops might close for business because household essentials would run short. Even before that first day was done, the air reeked of car fumes, smoking tyres and raw panic. Our neighbours made the situation worse by stockpiling. Pops was no different. He packed the car with a month’s provisions, knowing everybody else would take the same precaution.

   Our car left tracks in the driveway when we returned with our supplies, but by six o’clock the evidence had gone; you’d never have guessed we’d ventured out. I drew the kitchen curtains at seven o’clock and noticed the road was smooth and iced to perfection like a wedding cake. Sodium street lights bathed our neighbourhood in a yellowish glow that leant it an unworldly air. Our garden’s shrubs and bushes assumed a ghostly appearance; hidden under shrouds as if we’d vacated the premises, protecting them with dust covers until our return. 

   I gave Pops the circular from the headmaster and he stuffed it in his jacket pocket without reading it, smiling as he did so and resting his hand on my head. Everyone expected the school would close until further notice. The paperwork was just a formality. They wanted parents to organise and monitor school work at home. Our resources were available on-line and Pops was our new teacher. 

   On the second day, we had enough snow to build a giant snow man. In fact, there was so much we constructed his wife, children, and a host of extended relatives. We hurled snowballs at each other until our hands were numb and our throats dry with yelling. 

Hey! Pops shouted. Aren’t you hungry?

Too right, we were starving. 

   We wriggled out of our wellies and bashed off the debris on the door step. Dumping our jackets and scarves at the bottom of the stairs, we raced into the welcome warmth of our kitchen where mum had prepared us steaming hot bowls of porridge. I remember the look of concentration on Nivia’s face as she drizzled golden honey over her oatmeal and stirred the wholesome mixture into an ambrosial sludge.  

   During the first week, we looked forward to helping Pops clear the driveway in front of the garage and the footpath down to the road. We took turns with the snow shovel, scraping and scratching at the icy detritus before dumping it onto the lawn area. As the days drifted past and our snow hills expanded, I had to remind myself there was grass hiding below our feet; I couldn’t imagine how it would survive.

   By day eight, the novelty of being outside and enjoying the extreme weather had faded, because the very thing we’d embraced had ensnared us in its icy grip. The reality of the new daily routine became apparent; we were in a Sisyphean cycle of removal and disposal with no apparent resolution. Every day we trudged out and jabbed our shovels at the frozen crystals, piling them up in burgeoning heaps. Unlike the legendary king of Corinth, our daily task intensified as ever-increasing amounts of snow fell during the night, disguising our previous day’s labours. Pops was a task-master who insisted we keep access to the road clear so that we could have immediate passage to the thoroughfare should the need arise. He was hard on us and tough on himself, forcing all concerned to engage with the task at hand. Pops was determined to combat the elements and would have driven himself into an early grave had the weather not improved. 

   The snow continued to fall and fall, as though it would never end. Two weeks passed by without a break in the wintery conditions and, under a brooding half-light, we retreated into our home. The gentle trundle of vehicles ceased when the roads became unusable and the local council admitted defeat, advising against unnecessary journeys.

   When the novelty of constructing armies of carrot-nosed soldiers had worn threadbare, we hacked and chipped away at the wretched snowflakes, reassured by Pops that the torment would cease. According to the cyclical laws of nature, the temperature had to revert to the previous season’s warmth. It’s just how the natural world works. There’s an inevitability to the process that comforted us during our darkest hours. We believed there had to be a conclusion, even when Pops prised open the front door to discover the snow had entombed us behind a five feet high drift. The sun, whose absence we cursed, would be our saviour and our best friend. In the end, the heroic orb of solar energy would return and melt winter’s frozen rubble, banishing it all to a watery grave. 

   We prayed every day as we cleared and shifted winter’s litter and our answer came as a heatwave. The sun transformed the monochromatic landscape to a living world of colour and fresh growth; bright green buds and strong, virile shoots greeted us. Our lawn survived and before long, we tended to its needs and our own.


The End



April 21, 2023 21:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Graham Kinross
10:51 May 08, 2023

“Our neighbours made the situation worse by stockpiling. Pops was no different.” And then the shelves are empty when the doctors and buses get off their shifts, just like they were when people did it during covid. I remember a winter like that when I was in school. A friend came to my house and we made an igloo by digging through a drift in the middle of the road. Hard to imagine that. Not had a winter like that in a long time, I’m in Tokyo now though instead of the countryside. Great story Howard. You captured the way snow can be magical b...

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:19 May 08, 2023

Hi Graham, Your igloo adventure sounds like a great idea for a short story…. BTW, which country were you living in at that time? I trust you’re well and enjoying life. HH

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:21 May 08, 2023

That was in Scotland when I was about eight. There were two hedges either side of the road that caught the snow so that it didn’t blow away in the wind so it was higher there than anywhere else. Twenty years ago or more now. Damn I’m old. I’m good, thank you. I hope you’re doing well also.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
15:58 Apr 26, 2023

I'm a bit late here, but you liked my story so I am glad to have read yours. Only someone who has experienced overwhelming North American winters can write like you do. Makes me want to write about the great ice storm of '98 when people rediscovered what it was like to live in the 19th century right here in Ontario! Those big hydro towers were humbled right to the ground. No fixing that on schedule! Months to go never to forget again the blessings of electricity. But I' m detracting from what you wrote! My fish is bigger than yours. Ouch. I'...

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:17 Apr 26, 2023

Hey Joe, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback. It sounds like you have enough material for an intriguing book or a series of shorts. I love the idea of modern folk being obliged to adopt 19th century work practices and ways of living. I’m sure that experience would help many people appreciate all those luxuries we take for granted. Go for it! Happy writing HH

Reply

Joe Smallwood
03:19 Apr 27, 2023

Oh my goodness, if I reply to your reply that means I get more karma, even more than a regular reply so that is like replies times two. Neato. Anyway, what did I want to say? Thank you for the idea of a man facing an ice storm best seller. Except that I dressed it up to be way more than it actually was. Because I was only off work for three days and went without electricity for only two. It was everyone else who lived in the nineteenth century! The worst worry I had was I had to run the taps constantly so the pipes wouldn't freeze! But the t...

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:37 Apr 27, 2023

What’s interesting about great fiction is how it reveals universal truths, despite the web of lies…. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rita Kimak
09:51 Apr 26, 2023

Growing up in a small town that got buried with snow every winter, your story hit very close to home. I love your description of what most definitely starts out as a fun novelty but soon gets very tiresome!!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:08 Apr 26, 2023

Hi Rita, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. It seemed like an appropriate story in response to the prompt and hopefully an idea that a lot of people can recognise and relate to. Certainly, the snow’s arrival brings much jollity, however after three days we long for its departure; like an unexpected guest that’s overstayed his/her welcome. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:40 Apr 25, 2023

A giant’s eczematic scalp. Haha love it. Makes me realise that I’m happy not to live where it snows! -In the end, the heroic orb of solar energy would return and melt winter’s frozen rubble, banishing it all to a watery grave. Love this line, so poetic and evocative. This is a lovely story highlighting the inevitable cycle of nature through the changing seasons.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:51 Apr 25, 2023

Hi Michelle, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I wasn’t sure whether I’d overworked this tale, so I appreciate your reaction and pleased to get positive feedback. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:58 Apr 22, 2023

'we had enough snow to build a giant snow man. In fact, we had the material to construct his wife, children, and a host of extended relatives.' 'constructing armies of carrot-nosed soldiers' That's a lot of snow! Oh, that's what you were were saying:) 'when Pops prised open the front door' Pried? It is April the 22 and we have snow falling today!! So unfair! The snow fell forever! I want to be a snowbird.

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:28 Apr 23, 2023

Hey Mary, Thank you for reading my snow story and sharing your thoughts. Let it snow, let it snow…. Yes, it can be a problem, my relatives in North Dakota sometimes get snowed in and have to dig their way out of the most unbelievably deep drifts. Anyway, snow at the end of April seems late. Are you stuck in the snow? Take care HH

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:46 Apr 23, 2023

It pretty much disappeared as it came down but was coming down heavy for a while. A week ago had about two inches stick for most of the day. In Illinois where we were in the 80's the week before!!! I have a Grandson in ND. He works outside sometimes in those brutal conditions.

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:01 Apr 23, 2023

“It’s grim up north,” is a British phrase that springs to mind and seems to apply to ND too…. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
00:28 Apr 22, 2023

"snowflakes had descended on invisible air currents like the flaky skin from a giant’s eczematic scalp." This line made me shiver and not from the cold. I'll never be able to catch a snowflake on my tongue again! A nice tale, gave me a sense of nostalgia for snow days and snowman making. Thanks for posting!

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:05 Apr 22, 2023

Hey RJ! I hope I haven’t ruined your next winter with my description of the snow in my story…. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read it and share your thoughts; I appreciate it. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carly Arden
07:50 Jun 19, 2023

GREAT LOVE SPELL CASTER DR PETER THAT HELP ME SAVE MY RELATIONSHIP. TEXT OR ADD HIM UP DIRECTLY ON WHATSAPP +1 (646) 494-4360 My name is CARLY ARDEN. I want to give thanks to DR PETER for bringing back my ex husband. No one could have ever made me believe that the letter I’m about to write would actually one day be written. I was the world’s biggest skeptic. I never believed in magic spells or anything like this, but I was told by a reliable source (a very close co-worker) that Trust is a very dedicated, gifted, and talented person, It was ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.