Another Successful Dinner in which Two Lovers Form a Plan

Submitted into Contest #117 in response to: Set your story at the boundary between two realms.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Romance Fiction

 (Sequel to "An Extremely Successful Dinner Where Nothing Bad Happens")




"You are absolutely forbidden from associating with those disgusting river creatures. If anyone in the royal family were to be seen being friendly with those creatures, we would be ruined." 

I laughed to myself as my father’s words swam through my mind. Despite the threats of disownment and shame, I would love to see the look on his face as he saw me and my maid Amira sneaking past the guards to the forest. Ever since that disastrous dinner with the Riverside Tribes, Dealamigos and I had started a tentative friendship that had blossomed into something more. We had spent months writing letters, sending little gifts and had progressed to sneaking out for escapades in the boundary between our kingdoms. Thank the Gods for Amira’s quiet nature. If she had a penchant for gossip, all of the letters and presents I sent to Dealamigos would be fodder for my immediate dismissal from the throne. But she was still cautious as she escorted me through the trees.

“Are you sure he said he’ll meet us at the river, My Lady?” she asked worriedly.

“Of course, he hasn’t misdirected me yet.” 

“Do you know what’s going to be happening tonight?” I shook my head.

“I have no idea what he’s planning. He said that tonight was going to be a surprise.” My heart fluttered at the thought of his past letter to me, the words still etched in my mind. “Come to the boundary river tonight, I have a special surprise that you won’t soon forget. I can’t wait to see you, Dear Princess.” A smile grew across my face at the familiar nickname. He only uses it when teasing me, and while I didn’t like it at first, I grew to love it over time. Soon, Amira and I reached the river, the wide expanse of water glimmering in the moonlight. We sat at the edge, trailing our fingers in the water as we waited. “I wonder what he plans to do tonight…” I said dreamily.

“Maybe he plans to run away with you tonight.” Amira responded. I snorted with laughter.

“I think he would tell me to pack a lot more if he was planning that.”

“Maybe he wishes to start over away with nothing holding you down.” Amira suddenly gasped and dropped the stone she was planning on skipping.

“What? What’s the matter?” She turned to me, her big brown eyes shining with happiness. “Y-you don’t think… You don’t think that His Grace plans to marry you tonight, do you?” I was about to protest, but stopped. With all of the moments we shared together and how happy I felt with him, a marriage proposal wouldn’t necessarily be off the table. My mind sculpted a vision of a flower covered altar, little fish leaping around Dealamigos and I as we exchanged wedding vows with each other. 

“Am I ready to get married?” I thought to myself, “I’ve always wanted to get married but… Will this be too soon?” My thoughts shifted to my father and brother Fredrick, their furious faces cementing themselves in my head. “And what would they think of me?” My descent into negativity was interrupted by Amira tugging on my arm.

“Your Grace, look!” I turned to see my Dealamigos, smiling and waving from a gorgeously decorated long boat. It was filled to the brim with flowers, colored lanterns and a few gift boxes. He looked radiant, with his scales sparkling in the light, and the jacket I secretly commissioned for him fitting him perfectly.

“My, this is quite a surprise…” I said happily.

“All the best for my Princess, “he said, “Here, I’ll give you a way to cross.” His servant rolled a floating bridge across the water, carefully stabilizing it as Amira and I carefully crossed. Soon we were gently floating down the river, accompanied by tiny fish diving in and out of the water. I stroked the scales on Dealamigos’s hand as I skimmed my fingertips across the lake.

“Can I have a hint about what my surprise will be?” Dealamigos gave me a mock thinking gesture.

“Hmmm… I would, but I don’t wanna spoil the surprise…”

“Just one little hint. Please? For me?” Dealamigos tried to look away from my pleading face, but eventually relented.

“Alright alright, I’ll bite. Who can say no to that face?” He lightly pinched my nose, laughing as I cried out and swatted at his hand. “First hint: The surprise won’t involve any glass again.” I sighed in relief. He had tried to give me a portrait of myself using broken glass, which had promptly sliced up my hands. It had taken a while to come up with an excuse to satisfy my father’s questions. “And your second hint, is that… I sincerely hope you still like shrimp, and that you’re a good dancer.” 

I perked up. “Is tonight gonna be a dinner and a dance?”

“Damn, I gave you way too many hints!” he said laughing, “But yes love, in just a few moments, we’ll be eating and dancing the night away. Look, we’re almost there.” In the distance was a massive floating tent, decorated in more floating lanterns. Soft music was playing over the water, creating a serenely romantic mood. The boat bumped against the side of the raft and Dealamigos helped me and Amira onto the raft.

“Oh Heavens…” Amira gasped, bringing her hands to her mouth.

“I know you were only meant to be an escort, but please Amira, help yourself to anything you’d like.” 

She smiled and gave a curtsy. “Thank you, Your Grace.” 

Dealamigos offered me a seat and gestured to his servants, each holding pitchers of glowing drinks and covered platters. “Now as for you my love, what do you wish to start with?”



Everything was wonderful. Dealamigos made sure to pile my plate high with salmon, water lily and lotus salad, shrimp, catfish, baked peaches and apples and a beautiful coconut cake to finish it all. (“It took a long time for my chefs to make this, but I think we managed.”) As soon as we all rested, Dealamigos gestured to his musicians. The calming music transformed into a lively melody, full of swelling guitars and the clattering of drums.

“Do you still feel like dancing, love?”Dealamigos asked. I smiled and gently took his scaled hands.

“Of course! You know, I don't think I’ve ever seen you dance before.” he pulled me from the ground and twirled me around the raft.

“Well, we’ll have to change that, won’t we?” We danced for what felt like hours. With every new song the musicians played, Dealamigos twirled and dipped me into a new dance. I unfortunately stepped on his feet quite a few times, but he never complained. He just smiled and guided me around while Amira and the servants chatted together, the mood buoyant and happy with the accompanying music. Soon, I pulled Dealamigos to the edge of the raft, gently swaying in his arms as we listened to the servants talk and laugh.

“Tonight was perfect.” I said into his chest. He kissed my forehead and held me closer.

“I’m so glad. This took so long to plan, but it was all worth it for me to see your smile.” I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him, my finger trailing over his scaled cheeks. I could feel him smiling under my lips as he gently cupped my face in his hands. After a few moments, we parted and he pressed a kiss to my forehead. “It was worth it for that too.” A few more silent minutes passed as we held each other, listening to the lake water lapping gently against the raft. 

“Eva… I love you.” I smiled and kissed Dealamigos again.

“I love you too, Dela…”

“No, I’m serious Eva, I love you. I love you so much and all I want is to spend the rest of my life with you.” My eyes widened as Dealamigos got down on one knee. “Eva, if you wish, I want you to be my wife. We’ll be together forever and maybe…” He swallowed before he continued, “Maybe we can stop our families from fighting again.” Dealamigos reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a massive sapphire ring. It was inlaid with emeralds and diamonds, an absolutely gorgeous and priceless treasure.

“Oh my Heavens…” I said softly.

“I-I know this is pretty heavy and a bit unexpected. And you don’t have to accept it if you don’t want to… And even if you say no, I still want to be with you everyday for the rest of our lives.” I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t move. All that coursed through my mind was pure shock and happiness at what was happening. I didn’t really have a full decision made yet, but all I wanted to do was run away on this gorgeous raft and be with my Prince forever. I opened my mouth to speak-

“Get your filthy hands off of my daughter!” My father’s voice rang out from the other side of the lake. I whirled around to see my father’s sailboat making its way across the water, his angry face illuminated by the rising sun. Amira flew out of the tent.

“Your Grace-” Her words were interrupted by a shrill whistle from Dealamigos. The noise caused the water to ripple, the fins on his hands to jut upwards and his eyes becoming more fierce. Heads began to pop out of the water, their dark eyes brimming with rage and their scales becoming iridescent in the sunlight.

“You can’t come and snatch your daughter away from us.” The familiar voice of Lady Raiko soared across the water. “She’s on our side of the boundary. If you cross, there will be more trouble.” It was true. The raft had drifted closer to the River Tribe’s side of the kingdom. And by law, you needed to accept going to the other boundary by your own volition. 

I could see my brother Fredrick, my mother Violet and a few dozen guards on the deck, their faces a mixture of revulsion, shame and anger as they looked at our embrace.

“I can’t believe you would do this Eva!” Queen Violet screamed. She turned towards Amira, “And I can’t believe you would let her do this! I told you if you suspected anything to come and notify me! How dare you disobey your queen!” Amira sobbed quietly, tears falling down her cheeks as she looked down at the raft. Lady Raiko swam closer to the raft and pulled herself onto it, her servants following close behind her.

“A warning, Dear King, you’re not coming over here unless your daughter wishes for it. And, looking at them…” She gestured fondly to us, “ I don’t think she wishes to leave just yet.” I turned to Delamigos, confusion written all over my face.

“What is she talking about? What’s happening?” He swallowed.

“I-I asked my mother and a few of our soldiers to keep guard over us tonight. But that’s all they’re here for, I swear.” My father’s boat sailed a little closer and my mother took his place.

“Eva my dear, we must head home. We’ve told you again and again not to be selfish and associate with them. You keep defying us over and over, choosing your own foolish desires over the safety and reputation of the kingdom. If we need to defy the rules of this Treaty and take you away from them, then so be it.” I quickly shook my head.

“No, no Mother, please. I don’t want any more fighting between us. So please, please don’t do this…” Although she’s a little ways away, I could see the faint shine of tears in her beautiful blue eyes.

“So come back to us Eva. Let’s get back to our lives, and finally get you back on the right path.” A guard rolled a ladder from the side of the ship, straightening it out and holding it steady. I turned back to Dealamigos, Lady Raiko and all of their dutiful servants who had created this wonderful, amazing night for me and gave them a small smile.

“I’m sorry everyone. I have to go. I need to go home.” Dealamigos nodded and gave me a gentle hug. 

“Thank you for joining me, my love.” He looked over to the still sobbing Amira, “And thank you so much for risking everything to bring her to me.” She nodded, wiping her eyes with her apron. As we began to part, a sudden idea struck. I quickly kissed Dealamigos’s cheek and whispered my idea in his ear. He smiled against my shoulder and nodded, moving one of hands to grasp mine once again. And then we parted, Amira leading me back to the boat as the River Tribe family looked upon us as we went away.


Epilogue:

“There’s going to be a few changes from now on.” I nodded barely registering my mother’s words as I sat up in bed. All of my servants were silent, sewing or reading in the back corners of my room. The stool which Amira sat to braid my hair and read with me was empty. “Amira has been dismissed, we shall be replacing your chambermaid with someone more faithful to us.” More white noise as I nodded again. “Your door and windows shall be locked every night, with guards posted outside.” Nod. “You will be escorted everywhere you go with a battalion and at least two servants.” Nod. "The girls here will make sure to report any suspicious behavior to me. And I will make sure they are accurate." Another nod. Mother turned to me once more. "Do you understand Eva? Do you understand what shall be happening to you?" I nodded once more. Mother stood and made for the door. "I'm not doing this to make your life harder, my dear. I'm just trying trying to protect you, to protect us. I didn't say anything. I didn't do anything. I just listened as she walked to my door and closed it behind her. I noted that the lock clicked in place as she strode away into the castle. My pillows and blankets surrounded me as I laid down once again. I didn't say anything. There was nothing to say as I reached underneath my pillow for the engagement ring my husband gave to me, rubbing the smooth sapphire stone set in the middle. A small smile spread across my face as I remembered the laws of the River Tribe: "If the promised betrothed of the Royal Family is separated, the Family has full permission to gather the betrothed and bring them back with their full consent." My smile grew wider as I imagined Dealamigos climbing into my window and sweeping me away to his beautiful kingdom where we would be happy for the rest of our days. As my servants filed out one by one, my imaginations continued, filled with hazy fantasies of being rescued and living my life free from my kingdoms and its troubles. I'm certain that Dealamigos heard my whisper of, "I say yes Dela. Come to me as soon as you can." And I'm certain that he passed my message to his mother, his brother and everyone else. All I had to do was trust and wait for my Prince to come again.


October 30, 2021 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.