Zoey Lost at the Carnival

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Write a story about a character who gets lost at a carnival or festival.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

The carnival is the biggest most spectacular attraction for River Falls. Anyone who is anyone loves the carnival, the young and old. An annual event that brings in lots of entertainment and fun.

The day of the carnival has arrived. The entire town of river falls has gathered on Main Street waiting to see the carnival trucks arrive. The kids are jumping up and down excitedly as they see the carnival trucks.

Zoey is one of those children who is excite to see the carnival. She loves everything about the carnival, but Zoey's favorite thing about the carnival is seeing all the performers and eating cotton candy.

The carnival trucks have passed, the kids are running behind the trucks wanting to see the carnival being set up. The parents yell at their kids to be careful. Zoey is one of those children running behind the trucks. She loves to see the workers setting up for the carnival.

Zoey and a bunch of kids are seeing the performers practicing for their performance. Zoey is in awe of them especially seeing the acrobats and their costumes. Zoey is having a good time, now it's time for Zoey and the rest of the kids to go home and prepare for the carnival.

Zoey arrives home and sees her mother waiting for her. Zoey's mother Elena looks at her daughter and shakes her head. Zoey shrugs.

"What mom?" Zoey asks

"Try not to get lost at the carnival."

Zoey smiles

"No promises mom."

Zoey and her mother enter the house, they both go and get ready for the carnival. Zoey goes to her room to change her clothes and to get her camera.

The time came for Zoey and the rest of the river falls residents to go to the carnival. Zoey and her mother Elena met up with their friends Madison and her mother Olivia. Together the four of them are going to the carnival.

Zoey and Madison talk about all the things they will see at the carnival. Madison loves seeing the animals, playing the games and eating funnel cake

When Zoey, Madison, and their mother's arrive at the site of the carnival they see a huge lining forming. Zoey is glad they left early. They found parking in the front aisle.

Zoey eagerly gets out of the car. Her mother told her to wait for them. Zoey tells her mother to hurry the line is getting long. Madison smiles and the back and forth banter of her best friend and her mother.

"Lets go girls." Elena said

Zoey, Madison and their mothers walked to the ticket booth. The line is already long. Zoey is not happy.

"I hate long lines." Zoey says

"Don't worry. We'll get in and we will have so much fun."

Madison tells Zoey

Zoey nods

Zoey, Madison and their mothers reach the ticket booth. They buy lots of tickets.

"You girls ready?" Elena asked

They both nod

Zoey, Madison, and their mothers enter the carnival. In the front entrance they see clowns. Zoey waves at the clowns.

"You girls want a picture with the clowns." Olivia asks

Zoey and Madison nod

Zoey and Madison stand next to the clowns, they both smiled. Elena takes the picture.

"You girls look beautiful." Olivia says

"What do you want to do first?" Elena asks

Zoey and Madison look around the carnival. Zoey and Madison's eyes land on the Ferris wheel.

"We want to go on the Ferris wheel." Zoey says

Zoey, Madison and their mothers walk to the Ferris wheel line. They didn't have to wait long to get on the Ferris wheel. Zoey and Madison went in one seat, and their mothers went right behind them.

Zoey and Madison smile as the Ferris wheel goes up and up and up. The girls are at the top, they can see The Whole town.

The Ferris wheel begins its descended. Zoey and Madison are discussing what to do next. Madison wants to go on another ride. Zoey wants to go see the performers.

The Ferris wheel stops. Zoey, Madison and their mothers get out. They are talking about what to do next. Zoey and Madison wants to do different things. While Elena and Olivia are talking Madison goes to one of the games booth while Zoey takes off on her own.

Elena and Olivia finish talking. Olivia finds Madison at one of the games booth. She calls for Madison. Madison goes to her mother and asks her if she can play a game. Olivia gives Madison money for the game. Elena asks Madison if she seen Zoey. Madison shakes her head.

Elena frantically looks for Zoey. She goes to the security officers to ask for help. Elena tells the security officers her daughter is missing. She gives them a picture of Zoey. They promise Elena they will do everything to find her daughter.

Meanwhile Zoey is at the animal enclosure. Zoey loves to see the animals like bears, monkeys and tigers. She takes pictures of the animals. Zoey leaves the animal enclosure and goes to see the performers.

Zoey walks to the big tent all the way at the end of the park. She sees the performers go inside the tent. Zoey follows them. She sneaks into the tent. Zoey finds a place to hide. She watches the performers practice.

Zoey is amazed by the agility of the acrobats, the way they move their bodies and the flying trapeze performers. All Zoey can say is "wow."

On the other side of the tent Zoey sees the ringmaster directing the performers. His booming voice is heard through out the tent. Zoey sees the performers doing exactly as the ringmaster tells them to do. Zoey smiles.

Zoey leaves the big tent. When she gets outside she sees the security officers asking people about her. Zoey hides behind a food stand not ready to be found.

Zoey puts her sweater on and carefully sneaks out so the security officers won't see her.

"You are not going to find me." Zoey tells herself

Zoey loses the security officers. She is relieved and happy. Zoey goes to ride the carousel. Aside from loving to watching the performers perform Zoey loves riding the carousel.

Ever since Zoey was a little girl her and her mother loved to ride the carousel together. She climbs on one of the horses. The carousel starts to move. Zoey smiles and giggles. When the carousel stops Zoey rides it again.

The carousel finishes. Zoey gets off and she is now heading to the rollercoaster.

Zoey gets in line for the rollercoaster. While on the line Zoey sees her mothers friend Stella.

"Zoey honey. Where is your mother?"

"I don't know." Zoey replies.

"What do you mean?"

"I left my mother at the front entrance with Olivia and Madison."

"Why did you do that?"

"I wanted to explore the carnival on my own."

"Promise me after you finish with this ride you will go find your mother."

"I promise."

Zoey and Stella hugged

Zoey gets on the ride. The rollercoaster starts moving up and up and up. When the rollercoaster reaches the top Zoey closes her eyes, then the rollercoaster goes down fast, then it goes up again and goes around a loop, then slows down, then fast again all this time Zoey is yelling and screaming until the rollercoaster finishes.

Zoey is having the time of her life. She gets off the rollercoaster. Zoey looks at Stella and nods.

Zoey made a promise to Stella she would go find her mother. Zoey starts walking back to the front entrance when she hears someone calling her name. She turns around and sees one of the security officers.

"Zoey." Zoey gives the security officer a shy smile

"Yes. I'm Zoey."

"We've been looking all over for you."

"I'm sorry."

"Lets take you back to your mother."

Zoey nods

Zoey and the security officer walk back to the front entrance of the carnival. Zoey sees her mother sitting on the bench with tears on her eyes.

"Mom."

Elena looks up and sees Zoey. She runs to Zoey and gives her a hug.

"Don't do that to me again."

"I won't."

"Lets go enjoy the carnival."

"Okay."

Zoey and her mother goes and enjoys the carnival together. They went on more rides together, ate cotton candy and went to see the performance. Zoey had the best time with her mother. Zoey also had a good time by herself.

May 12, 2021 21:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.