1 comment

General

I am Suzanne Hills, former news reporter for New York Times and I was in the hallway of a building with no name. The building was made of brick and had no context of what was inside. The hallway wasn't anymore exciting with only a few doors and cream colored walls. They only thing remotely interesting was the few of New York City. The floor I was on had the most breathtaking view of the city. I bet it was gorgeous at night. I had no idea how I got here with no memory what so ever. I do know that I was supposed to walk into the first door on the left and wait in the room. What for, I am not quite sure. I inter the cool waiting room and sit down on a hard light blue chair. The room is small but is filled with at least ten people. The walls are a honey yellow and there are inspirational posters everywhere. Many say Hang In There with an animal hanging on for dear life. All the magazines they have are boring, one with a fish on the cover makes me want to yawn. There are several others in the room with me but they all seem slightly confused but focused on the news paper. The one I wrote just before I was fired. I shared too personal information about our company with the world and I was fired. My guess was that I was waiting to be interviewed for another company since every one knew about me and wanted to work with me. I take off my badge and stuff it into my purse. If I'm going to go into a job interview I wouldn't want to scare them off. I search my purse for lipstick. The only one I can find is bright red so I forget it. I smooth out my suit and pull up my chocolate brown hair in a black hair tie I've had since I was 6. I wasn't nervous. I was a natural when it came to interviews and I was the most extroverted person you had ever met. A man gets called up to the front desk and his confused expression turns blank. I could already tell who had a good chance of getting the job and who didn't. I took a second to pick out the people with the highest chance and made a mental note. A man with dark skin and curly hair that looks straight from the barbers shop catches my eye. He looked handsome but also like competition. I decide to walk over and introduce myself.

"Hello. I'm Suzanne. I was the head reporter for New York Times." The man glanced over at me with a kind expression.

"Hello. I'm Henry. Do you have any idea what we're waiting for." He asked puzzled. I'm taken back. I did not know what we were waiting for, I only had a guess. I shake my head.

"I just guess we were all waiting to be interviewed for a newspaper company."

I said with a frown. Henry looks even more confused then I do.

"I've never had any interest to write a newspaper in my life. I'm more of a painter." Henry remarks sadly.

"My wife helped keep our house hold have enough money to survive but she... resentley passed away."

He murmured.

"I've been home less ever since. I just now collected enough money to get a haircut. I have no more family alive to help me."

Dread runs down my veins and I instantly feel sorry for him.

"Once I get out of here I can help you. I may have lost my job but I still have a place you can stay."

He smiles at me gratefully.

"Thank you. Your very kind."

I here my name get called by the receptionist at the front. I quickly finish my sentence.

"Wish me luck." I smile.

He looks down at the floor not saying a word.

I follow the receptionist into a room that smells odd and must be below 50 degrees. I sit on the bench near the door and look around. It looks a lot like a doctor's office with medical equipment every where. A tiny bear stuffed animal sits on the window cell. I walk over and grab it, needing some comfort. The bear has a tiny shirt with a bandage on his cheek. If bears even have cheeks. I slowly pet the bear as a woman in a white coat comes in to wash her hands. I instantly recognize her as a doctor.

"Hello Suzanne. Sorry for the wait."

I stare at her not saying a word but instantly become sceptical. She sighs, frowning.

"You are no longer useful to anyone, so due to overpopulation, you will be killed." I dont process this very fast, but when I eventually do I stand there in shock on the verge of tears. I was waiting for my own death the whole time. The woman in the white coat rolls her eyes like she had seen this many times. All I can think about is poor Henry. He has been through so much stuff in his life only to be killed off.

"Do you take pleasure in this?" I ask the doctor trembling. She raises her eyebrows.

"Of course not, but I still have purpose and if I stop doing this I will be in your position." She yells. I start to lash out angrily.

"I still have friends and family to live for. Sure my company might not want me anymore but I'm still a regular person!" The doctor starts to shout.

"You and everyone else! You may still have friends and family but you've gone from someone people look up to to an incredibly basic woman who lives with her parents!"

I stare at her awe. How evil could she be to even thing that. The doctors expression turns back to being blank.

"Now. Say goodbye, Suzanne." She comments.

July 03, 2020 16:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

A S
16:34 Jul 03, 2020

Woohoo! 3 storys! Thanks for all the support. Sorry I didnt post at all in June. I guess I'm making up for it in July. As always tell me if I have any errors and I will fix them. Tell me what you think in the comments. Happy summer!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.