19 comments

Contemporary Friendship Sad

AN: I actually wrote this a few months back for a school project just before I joined Reedsy. Surprisingly I got an award for this, but this is also a kinda throwback to before Reedsy :)

I’ve always liked to be by myself. I have always chosen the comfort of solitude, rather than the chaos of company. 

I can’t be alone now, constantly surrounded by people, who just look at me, sadly, then move on. Rarely, very rarely someone will stop and talk. I can’t say I like the talking that much, but I do like the clink of the money. 

A common question I am nearly always asked is ‘How did I get here?’. And my answer is always the same. ‘I don’t know. Bad luck, that’s all, just bad luck.’ I smile and they go, clearly not wanting to know more, clearly making up my story for themselves, instead of listening to the real thing. 

Day after day.

Week after week.

Month after month.

Conversation after conversation.

Over and over and over.

Until.

“How did you end up here?”

“I don’t know. Bad luck, that’s all, just bad luck.” I smile, and turn, expecting them to go, like all the rest.

“You sure, sir? You look like a clever chap, clever enough to stay off the streets. You look kind, and like you would help anyone.” She kneels and takes my hand. The skin difference is startling. They’re the same shade, but while mine is layered with dirt, hers is just one unbroken wave of honey. 

“I kind of suppose that is the problem. I’ve helped too many people and they’ve kind of forgotten to help me. It started to go bad, probably about 5 years ago. My bubba- that’s what I call my dad- died. Everyone claimed it was an accident but, I know it wasn’t. But, how are you supposed to tell the court that your only piece of evidence is that your dad only ever owned one belt, the one he was wearing when he was hung by another? The only other person who believed me was my mama, but she’s six feet under, and, it’s probably a good thing. She wouldn’t be able to cope now, with no one to help her. 

“I did try, I really did, but nothing worked. I was lost, and there was no way out. Eventually I did get out, but the wrong end. I ended up here, instead of a house with hot food everyday. I think and replay everything, trying to find how I ended up here, trying to work out what I could and should have done differently, and the worst part is I find so much. It just makes me want to give up again, but I don’t. I don’t plan on giving up again, not after last time.”

“What was last time?” She settles herself more comfortably, crossing her legs, back against the wall.

“When my mama died, she had nothing. Everything had gone. See, my bubba had planned on living a long life, thinking that when he died, I would have money and a job of my own, but I was still at uni. So, everything he had went to charity. Unfortunately, not a homeless one. Mama couldn’t cope. Died shortly afterwards, the doctor put it down to heart failure, but I reckon it was sadness as much as anything else. 

“Now, I was on my own. Best friend had moved to America, switched numbers and I haven’t seen him since. I didn’t know what to do, so I did nothing. I stayed at home, occasionally leafing through newspapers to see if there were any jobs, and  I did apply for a few. Obviously didn’t get any, and that didn’t help my mental health. I was spiralling down at speed, and only resurfaced when the house owner- I was just renting at the time- visited. This made me start, for he never visits. He said he needed me to leave. I had a week. So I packed up and left the next day, with my tent, clothes, some food and a whole load of pictures.

I went to this tent site, planning to spend a couple of weeks there, while I found a new place to live. Didn’t realise it would be so bloody hard. At the end of the two weeks, I was kicked out. They had full bookings. So I went to the woods. Stayed there in my lovely little tent. I loved that tent, I really wish that I still had it. But it’s gone. Set on fire, along with most of my clothes and pictures. Never found out who did it, probably some drunk teenagers out to impress. I only have one picture left, and it never leaves my side. I never want to forget my parents, never. 

And then I've been living here for about… two and a half years now. Doesn’t feel like that long. You know, time flies when you’re having fun.” I laughed weakly, and she does too, through her tears.

“I never would have thought that you’ve been through all that if I hadn’t stopped. Most people probably make up a story about drugs and addiction for you, never properly stopping to think. But, I just can’t help but think… never mind.” She started to stand up.

“Go on. I won’t mind. It can’t be worse than what most people think.”

“I just can’t help but think- I’ve never seen such dark eyes with so much life in them.” And then she turned, and was gone. Only then, I realised I was crying.

***

The days pass by like shadows, waxing and waning like the edges of the moon, drifting by like the endless stream of people I watch.

They hurry by like they're going to accomplish something, because today's the day, I'm gonna do it today. Them with their pretty purses and fingernails, ripped jeans because they're in style, cigarettes dangling from their painted lips.

I watch you watch me, disgust in your eyes, as I take a quiet breathe, letting the condensation drift softly into the air. It's the way you look at me that truly hurts, the way your eyes are all pitiful and coldness. You can't give me money because I'm just gonna buy drugs, you think. You feel sorry for me, but that's it, and somehow that's enough. I've seen enough to not let it get to me.

I watch as you go, like the others.

I watch as the night falls, smothers the earth so you can't hear me break

June 11, 2021 15:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Mila Van Niekerk
09:16 Jan 01, 2022

Hi, Dako <<<3333 I love this story! And I'm so happy that you're doing better and feeling motivated again💖💖 That's really amazing for you! I understand I might be a little late to this, considering I've been offline for a while, but I'm really, really happy that you're back on Reedsy (not just because I get to read your stories again) but because you want to write and you enjoy it again. That's the most important part. Happy new year <3 -Mila

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mila Van Niekerk
17:13 Sep 21, 2021

Hey, I haven't read this story but I just read your bio and : I hope you're doing better. Maybe you'll get your love for writing back (If that's what you want,then I really hope you do) and if you don't, that's fine! I know school is a drag most of the time (I myself am up to here with it) and I hope you get through it and manage to keep your head up. I know this is kinda random coming from a stranger on the internet, but take your time, focus on yourself and keep your head up 💗 Things'll get better, even if it doesn't seem like it now. -M...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marie Bishop
20:58 Jun 20, 2021

I love this. I always stop and talk to homeless people, we always offer to get them some food, or socks or something that we think might help. We once paid for a young guy to stay a night at a hostel. He was so happy that he was able to go and get a shower. It's easy to judge.

Reply

21:03 Jun 20, 2021

Thank you! You're an amazing person for doing that! It's totally made my day hearing that. I always try as well, but as a young teen my budget is severely limited unfortunately

Reply

Marie Bishop
21:07 Jun 20, 2021

Most homeless people just want to be seen. The guy we got the hostel room from was so young, his stepfather had kicked him out at 16 and his mother hadn't wanted to know. He was such a lovely man and was so intelligent, you could see it in his eyes and the way he spoke. So sad that there are so many people slipping through the cracks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kimber Harps
12:49 Jun 19, 2021

I love this story! Its so full of emotion and reflects reality (sadly). Incredible job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
N K
02:15 Jun 15, 2021

A beautifully written story. I love how so much of it is dialogue which has been so well-written and wonderfully encapsulates how we make so many passing assumptions but the reality of someone's story is always far more complex. I really love how you brought out that lovely message. I like some of the tiny details in your writing - every word is well-used and needed to craft the story. One of the phrases that really stayed with me is "ripped jeans because they're in style". Oof. Great job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ruth Smith
18:41 Jun 14, 2021

Awesome story! Well done!

Reply

16:20 Jun 15, 2021

Than k you ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tarushi Parmar
14:49 Jun 13, 2021

Great story! It pretty much reflects what we see when we pass a homeless person. We just judge pretty quickly, without knowing their story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jasey Lovegood
03:27 Jun 13, 2021

Dako! This story was amazing, and I can see why you won an award for it. The emotion was clearly explained, I don't really know how to explain it, but the dialogue felt very surreal but very true at the same time and uvogwebupi3vw idk it was really good. My favourite lines were: [“I just can’t help but think- I’ve never seen such dark eyes with so much life in them.” And then she turned, and was gone. Only then, I realised I was crying.] Wonderful job, my friend! Love, Jasey <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gerald Daniels
20:39 Jun 11, 2021

I loved this story for loads of reasons, super.

Reply

20:40 Jun 11, 2021

Thank you ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
16:12 Jun 11, 2021

Hi there, I thought this was a very good story. It was sad, but I thought you did a good job writing this. That last line still echoes through my mind. I read in your bio that you were downvoted. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Some people are just mean to be mean. Don't let it bring you down. Know that you are an artist and only true artists are worthy of haters. If you weren’t, they wouldn’t notice, much less care about, you. Always stay strong and believe in yourself :) :)

Reply

16:15 Jun 11, 2021

thank you! :) i will dw. i dont really care about the kp, they don't reflect a writer's worth :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:08 Mar 19, 2022

Wow really good writing flowed well powerful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Barbara Burgess
16:46 Mar 15, 2022

Lovely story. My husband takes photos of homeless people and talks to them. Very rarely are they homeless because of drugs. Many sad and even harrowing tales. He's writing a book. Best Wishes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Francis Daisy
10:32 Aug 04, 2021

This story reads almost like a poem. My favorite line is your last,,,"smothers the earth so you can't hear me break" - so, so beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bruce Jones
01:13 Jul 12, 2021

Awesome Story

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.