0 comments

Fiction Drama

“It doesn’t count if you’re already planning your defeat. Might want to get yourself out of that rut before it becomes a trench.” Julia paused to sip her coffee then looked at her boyfriend. “Besides, if you think it’s that bad, maybe you should scrap it and start over.”

Connor sighed and rubbed his tired eyes. “It’s not that simple, love. I’ve been writing this series for the last seven years and I can’t just scrap it and start over. If the last book is a flop, my career as an author is over.” He popped the last bit of his almond coffee cake. “I’d never be taken seriously again and have to get a day job.”

“Come on, honey. You know better than I do that every writer has at least one bad publication in their career and not all of them end up in the gutter. I’ve seen you start work over dozens of times and it turns out to be a bestseller. Even the novella you wrote over Christmas for the vigilante collection sold millions of copies.”

“That it did, much to the surprise of my agent. But don’t you see my dilemma now? If I can pull that off then I should be able to finish my Boondock Saints series with a bang. I’m beyond stuck, Jewel, and I need help.” He held up his empty cup and looked expectantly at his girlfriend.

“Alright, I’ll get you another.” The black-haired woman stood up and walked to the register. Not many patrons were in the Café Bean at the moment, so it should’ve been a decent place for Connor to think, but he seemed to prefer whining.

“Need a refill, Jewel?” Adam asked.

“Aye. I was hoping it would jog his brain but he’s more inclined to bitch about his writer’s block.” She passed over the empty mugs.

“Make ‘em black, no sugar, this time. Wouldn’t mind the new smoked salmon bagel either.”

“You got it.” The tall barista quickly prepared his co-worker’s order.

“You know, you could take him to one of the clubs tonight. Usually does a decent job of jump starting his creativity.”

“True. He’ll usually stay up all night writing too.”

“Which means you won’t be getting bugged about it.” Adam passed her the mugs and a small plate. “Me and Lilian are heading to this rave tonight if you and Connor wanted to come along. Think we’re meeting up with a bunch of the others we work with too but no one’s confirmed yet.”

“Sounds fun. Where at?”

“Here’s the address. Be there at six. Make sure you eat first. Cash bar.”

“Noted. See you tonight.” Julia went back to her table. “Drink up, boy-o. We’ve got a date tonight.”

“To do what?”

“Adam suggested this rave him and Lilian are going to. We’re gonna meet them there and you’re gonna get over this damn writer’s block.”

“Sounds better than staring at the damn laptop screen all night. What time?”

“Six, and phone Murphy and Ange. Hecate knows those two need a night out.”

“Don’t get me started.” Connor groaned, and sipped his coffee. “You gonna invite Terry?”

“Yeah, and she’ll probably get her crew to attend.” She sent out a text with the time and place. “Can’t recall if she said Roger had a gig tonight or not, but she’ll show either way.”

“Aye, might dance with her a few times then. She’s ‘bout as cute as you.”

“Only as long as you don’t try anything. Last thing I wanna do is have Adam and Benny break up a brawl between you and Roger. Again.” Julia recalled the last time that happened at a New Year’s Eve party. Connor and Murphy had gotten into a drinking contest with Roger and Seth then someone (no one really knows who) had to smart off at the mouth. Connor ended up swinging on Roger and they wound up on the walk outside McGinty’s. Adam and Benny had to break it up then get them home before the constables showed up.

“I still don’t get what happened to cause the fight but I’ll be a good boy tonight, love.”

“Holding you to that, darling.”

At ten to six, Julia and Connor pulled into a car park with thirty other vehicles and a crowd of people in front of a two-story purple building.

“How many people know about this?” She asked while locking her auto.

“Crowd looks to be around fifty. Still be plenty of room if both floors are open.”

“Suppose we’ll find out.” They met up with Adam, Lilian, Benny, and Selene as the four were pulling in.

“Evening, lads.” Connor shook hands with his girlfriend’s co-workers.

“Evening, Connor, Jewel.” Benny said. “Looks to be a hopping place already.”

“Word gets around about these things rather quick.” Lilian said as the six moved to mingle with the crowd. “There’s Terry and Roger with their friends.” She pointed to the redhead and tall man holding hands.

“Well, there goes my shot to dance with her.” Connor sighed dramatically, earning a swipe across the back of the head.

“Since when do you have a crush on Terry?” Selene inquired.

“He only thinks she’s cute.” Julia said. “I told him I didn’t care if he danced with her as long as it didn’t piss Roger off.”

“True. Don’t want a replay of the New Year’s Eve party.” Adam said.

“Ja, ja, ja. I hear ya.” The author said. “Already told Jewel I’d behave.” They joined the rest of their friends then the rave opened a few minutes later. The interior was painted black with neon highlights and laser lights mounted everywhere. The bar was a giant display of LED lights and spirit bottles where the bartenders were decorated with glitter and glow bracelets.

“Groovy joint, Adam.” Terry said. “How’d you find it?”

“One of my regulars co-owns the place with his brothers. Gave me a card and said come by any weekend. Bring as many friends as I wanted.”

“They host live bands here?” Ryan asked, looking at the dueling DJs.

“Don’t think so but that could change soon.”

“Let us know if it does. Wouldn’t mind playing somewhere different.” Nathan said.

“Who wants a drink? I got first round!” Murphy said, jumping to the bar with Angelina in tow.

“Nothing heavy! Some of us gotta work in the morning!” Tiffany shouted but the Irishman was already ordering a round of mixed drinks hard enough to knock out an elephant.

“Too late, honey.” Nathan said. “You could crash at my flat. I’d make sure you got to work in the morning.”

“You’d keep me up all night.” She took her drink and could already tell how strong it was. “Murphy, whatever this is, I’m only having one.”

“Aye. What the bloody hell did you get?” Seth asked.

“Something that’ll make ya loosen up and have fun.”

“Murph, tell me ya didn’t.” Connor couldn’t believe his brother.

“Just drink it and have some fun.” Murphy drained his glass in one gulp and the rest of the group reluctantly did the same. Half of them coughed and the other half shook their heads. “Good shit, aye?”

“Good, nothing! What the hell was it?” Becky coughed.

“A Four Horsemen.”

“Lord’s name.” Angelina muttered.

“Never had one ‘til now.” Mortis said, slurring a bit.

“It’s Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, and Johnnie Walker. Neat.” Julia said, leaning on her boyfriend so she didn’t fall over.

“I don’t know what you guys are complaining about. Making me feel great.” Daniel said. “Might get another but for now, I’m gonna dance.” Without another word, he pulled Anne to the dancefloor as the DJs went into another duel.

“Oh, the hell with it. Come on, Terry.” Roger said. The rest followed shortly, and they danced almost non-stop for the next hour. More people continued to show up, some having to move to the upper floor to find somewhere to dance.

Having enough for a while, Terry pulled her boyfriend to one of the lounges that had coffee tables, sofas, and mini fridges packed with bottled water. They found an empty seating circle and dropped onto a sofa.

“Don’t think I’ve ever danced so much in my life. Not even at the Echo Club.”

“Think the booze is finally wearing off. Gonna get another but not a Four Horseman. You want anything?” He stood up.

“Nah, I’ll grab a water.”

“Back in a moment.” The bassist went to the bar as it wasn’t stacked with customers at the moment and Terry leaned back on the sofa, feeling the sweat cooling on her back.

“Hey, honey. You here by yourself?” Her moment of peace was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice. She focused her eyes to see a young man no older than her boyfriend with short dark hair and light-coloured eyes. He looked unsteady on his feet but was wearing a huge grin.

“No, I’m not. My boyfriend only went to get a drink.”

The guy raised an eyebrow. “Boyfriend, eh? Well, he’s not here now, is he?” It was more of statement than a question, and Terry knew better than to stick around. She went to get up but the stranger sat down right next to her, pinning her between the arm of the sofa and himself.

“Look, buddy. I told you I have a boyfriend, so let me up.” She attempted to move but he put an arm around her waist. “Let go of me. Now.” She said firmly.

“Come on, baby. Don’t be like that. I can be a really nice guy if you’d only let me.”

“I don’t wanna let you do anything. Now, back off!” She screamed.

“Hey tosser! Let her go, now!” The creep turned his attention to the disruption of his fun and a tall man glaring at him. “I said, let her go now.” Roger stepped closer, pulling Terry away from the drunk. The other man, however, held fast to her left arm.

“Get off of me, you creep!” As fast as lightning, the redhead smacked the man hard enough to make him let go. Of course, it only served to piss him off.

“You little bitch!” He stood up but Roger stepped in front of Terry. He stood at least a head taller than this guy but alcohol makes people do stupid things. “What? You thin you can take me, slim? I weigh more that two of you put together.”

The bassist shrugged. “You know how the saying goes: the bigger they are,” he swung and hit the other man in the nose, hearing it break, “the harder they fall.”

“Damnit! You broke my nose!”

“You deserve worse for trying to hurt my girlfriend. Now, get out of here as I’m sure you don’t want the constable called. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had a record.” Muttering under his breath, the drunk slowly walked away, holding his crushed septum. “You alright, love?”

Terry let out a breath. “Yeah, I am now. I told him to bugger off three times before you got here.” She rolled her arm. “Hope I don’t have a bruise tomorrow.”

“You could’ve gotten a lot worse.” He hugged her close, and then he noticed the Irish brothers and their girlfriends all staring at them.

“Oh, hey mates. How long you been there?”

“Long enough to see you break some bloke’s nose.” Connor said.

“Didn’t think I’d ever see you do that to someone other than me.” Julia elbowed him in the ribs. “What?”

“You’re something else, you are.” She said. “You alright, Terry?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. A bit shaken up but fine. Could go for another round of dancing though.”

“Follow me, my lady.” Roger took her hand and brought her onto the dancefloor, followed by Ange and Murphy.

“You know what, Jewel?” Connor asked.

“What, Connor?”

“Think I know how I’m gonna finish my book.” He kissed her. “Feel like cutting out?”

"After you, Hemingway.” They said good night to their friends than went out to the auto. On the ride home, Julia asked, “Think we’ll be doing this the next time you’re stuck?”

“Without a doubt. I’m gonna be writing all night.”

“I’ll put the coffee on when we get home.”

“What would I do without you, love?”

“Have writer’s block all the time.” She grinned.

November 07, 2020 03:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.