Contest #67 winner 🏆

405 comments

American Drama

Trigger warning: depression and suicidal ideation

 

“We saw your poor Rick,” they say in the grocery store aisle. I smile, unconvincingly, and compare jars of spaghetti sauce that I don’t even want. 

“We heard about your poor Rick,” they say, half turned on the pew in front of me at church. I sit alone and nod at their thoughtful concern, which is, in truth, neither thoughtful nor concern.

“How is your poor Rick,” they say to me on the sidewalk, where I’m gardening and minding my own business. It isn’t a question. 

It's schadenfreude. Who else but the Germans could have coined a term for the self-satisfaction of witnessing the troubles of others? Like laughing at someone who walks into a plate glass window, spilling their overpriced coffee. Like seeing a girl with her head down, tapping on an iPhone, almost walking into traffic. Like watching me, a mother with a son like Rick attempting to get through the day. 

Your poor Rick.

Enraged, I pull off my gardening gloves. I gather up the shears and trowel and other gardening implements. I wonder briefly if I can use them on my thoughtful and concerned neighbors, the ones who always look at my son like a criminal instead of a desperate addict who needs help. 

I shove everything into the wheelbarrow and roll it all into the garage. The yard can brown, rot, and die for all I care.

I slam the garage door and walk into the kitchen. I fill up a glass of water. I pour it out. I put my head in my hands. I am ashamed of my embarrassment. Rick is my son.

“Honey?” my husband calls out. But he is useless in this and all things.

“Yes, dear,” I reply as neutrally as possible. 

“Rick called. He’s coming by tonight,” my husband says, dismissively. He takes no part in Rick and Rick-related activities. You wanted the children, he once famously said. I once wanted a husband, too, I had replied in my heart of hearts. 

Rick had been a handful from the very start. Ghastly morning sickness. Problematic pregnancy. Emergency C-section. The moment he had been born, everything seemed to overstimulate his senses. He had been colicky, wailing at all hours of the night for comfort which never came. I had tried. I had held and rocked and sang to him. In preschool, he had been the kid who bites. In kindergarten, he had taken an inordinately long time to learn his colors, none of us realizing until later that he was colorblind. It took him even longer to learn how to read, as dyslexia spun the letters around, making his words indecipherable. 

In elementary school, parent teacher conferences had taken up the majority of my schedule. Rick needs to be frequently redirected. Rick did not collaborate with his peers in a prosocial manner. Rick needs additional socio-emotional support. Rick has failed his color wheel project. Rick is suspended for pulling the fire alarm during an assembly on following the rules. 

In sports, he is too awkward and clumsy, as throwing, catching, hitting, and dribbling various sized balls only underscores his lack of basic hand-eye coordination. In friendships, he is too needy, at once standoffish, then suddenly demanding. His peers summarily ignore him. 

Watching him solitarily walk to the bus stop, passing by the throngs of other children who easily laugh, breaks my heart. He is enveloped in loneliness, making his adolescent disaffection flare up into episodic rages. As middle school progresses, his room accumulates more and more fist-sized holes in the drywall. I can only wring my hands and hand towels in the kitchen, making him macaroni and cheese from the blue box, the only kind he will eat. 

In high school, Rick’s 11th grade drama teacher sees something in Rick that none of us do. Rick loves the stage. Rick loves disappearing into a character and working out the character’s emotions in full view of an audience. With puberty long behind him, his voice has developed a rich depth and timbre that resonates throughout the drab high school theater. On stage, Rick transforms into another person: confident, well spoken, powerful. 

With tears streaming down my face, I watch his magnificent portrayal of Prince Hamlet.

“Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio. A fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy,” Rick says, holding a fake human skull aloft. The audience is rapt, as Rick entirely captivates them with his intensity. 

When I help Rick learn his lines, he tells me what Hamlet experiences during his favorite scene—Hamlet in the graveyard. 

Death, mom. Death is just a philosophical concept until it happens to you. Mr. Schaffer says Hamlet constantly mulls over the idea of why anyone chooses to stay alive. To be or not to be. But Hamlet isn’t suicidal, not really. He just wonders why people put up with life’s endless shit.”

Endless shit, indeed

“And not how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kiss’d I know not how oft,” Rick recites, looking desperately at the skull. Hamlet’s view of death is hypothetical, but he now holds a skull of the court jester whom he’d much loved as a child. It’s one thing to hold a human skull. It’s a completely other thing to have known and loved the person whose skull you hold in the palm of your hand. 

But that night on stage had been years ago. 

Before all of Rick’s troubles truly start. 

 

My cell phone rings. Rick.

“Hi dear,” I purposefully brighten my voice. “Dad said you were coming over?”

I can just barely hear him breathing, panting low.

“Son?” I say, more loudly. “Rick. Rick, you need to speak to me—”

“I’m—I’m sorry, Mom.” He sounds inebriated. 

A cold sickness starts in the pit of my stomach and radiates outward, chilling me whole. I know this tone in his voice. We have been here before. 

“Rick,” I try again. “Where are you, son? Let me come and get you,” I plead. 

“I love you, Mom.” 

“Rick.” I am angry now. “I’m going to call the police. Are you taking your medication? I can be there in twenty minutes—”

“Don’t call anyone, Mom. I’m all right,” he says firmly. 

I don’t believe him. 

“Rick—”

“Promise me, Mom.”

“Fine, Rick. I promise.”

I’m all right,” he says and lightly laughs. “It’s just been a really bad day. I’m fine. Promise me you won’t call anyone.”

“Rick—”

“Promise me, Mom. It’s not like last time,” he lies.

“I love you, too, Rick. Come over tomorrow for dinner.”

“Mac and cheese?” he strangely giggles.

“Sure, I can make that. The kind in the blue box,” I say, not knowing tears are streaming down my face.  

“Then, good night sweet princess. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.” 

The connection is lost. I look at the phone.

Alas, poor Yorick.

Alas, your poor Rick. 

I start to dial the familiar numbers.

 

November 12, 2020 02:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

405 comments

Andrea Magee
15:26 Jul 19, 2021

Touching, sad, real.....beautifully written.

Reply

16:26 Jul 19, 2021

Thank you so much. I think this story resonates, since no one likes to talk about their difficult child. Reading some of the comments broke my heart. We mothers need to talk more and not pretend all is well. A child hurts himself once, but a mother feels it twice (or eight million times, as the case may be.) :)

Reply

Andrea Magee
16:42 Jul 19, 2021

Yesssss......the 'all is well'....is a mother self-medicating. Instead dialogue, patience, courage, love, kindness and support is how coping/healing should be done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A.J. Lopez
01:08 Jul 03, 2021

Hello! I know this was last year, but I just read it now. This is beautifully written. I feel so much for the mother and I also feel the chaos of the son! Story is short, but you’ve made it so real for me. I haven’t read Hamlet, but now I wanted to just to know more about how you used them in this story. Your stories are very inspiring to me, as I try to be better at the craft.

Reply

01:35 Jul 03, 2021

Thanks, AJ :) I'm a hack trying to get better myself. Good luck on your journey - YAY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Juarez
16:25 May 18, 2021

Overall I am fascinated with how good this prompt is.to be sharing such emotion from the very beginning shows how well the story was going to be. My favorite part of this story was when you gave the quote, "Death is just a philosophical concept until it happens to you." I guess I've just never seen like that, so it was the most interesting. If I could change anything about the text written it would probably only be the introduction. The intro was great but I feel as if you could've given more, as to what is occurring. Maybe give a little bit...

Reply

16:32 May 18, 2021

I think this is really the mother's story. It's EMBARASSING to have a problematic child, whether he or she is in preschool or an unemployed 40 year old on the couch. It's also soul crushing, as parents (unfairly) pin their fondest hopes and dreams on their kids. We can't help it. We love them too, too much. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zae Johnson
02:31 Apr 09, 2021

What happens to Rick?!?!?! I need to know. My soul begs for more. I am incomplete without a second part. Jokes aside, please write a second part. Deidra this was beautiful. Great job!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Clayberg
02:32 Mar 16, 2021

Thank you for writing this story. It wasn't easy reading it, but I'm glad I did. (I was referred to it by Jose, another writer on this website.) I really sympathize with Rick (most of all) and his mother (almost as much), even though they were both fictional. It's not easy trying to take care of someone with problems we can only barely imagine having. It's even harder being that person. I've been that kind of person for most of my life. I didn't know I was colorblind in any way until about seven years ago. I didn't know I had dyslexi...

Reply

11:51 Mar 16, 2021

Editing comment on point! You may not understand this until you have your own children, but we mothers love you exactly as you are. You are precious to us and we would change exactly nothing. What we would change is people’s judgment. Everyone carries a heavy burden, and we are all doing the best we can, even if it’s not very good. Kindness, I’m finding, seems to be the most elemental and necessary and most lacking thing in society. I wish a teacher had recognized your situation and helped you understand. Maybe you’d consider teaching? It’...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
16:43 Mar 16, 2021

I believe it's called "unconditional love". It's humbling to receive it. You feel like there's no way you could possibly be worthy of it, yet it's given to you anyway. I've been told sometimes that I'm far kinder to others than I am to myself. Which, for the Christians I've known, is wrong. "Love thy neighbor as thyself." ("as" is like an equal sign; not greater-than, not less-than). Loving myself has been a lifelong struggle, and one that I think I will also have to deal with for the rest of my life. My female best friend once said,...

Reply

02:25 Mar 17, 2021

You definitely can write! English teachers rock, but with your unique skill set, maybe a psychologist? Or counselor? Or a great writer, writing all the things that make us feel less alone. 🙂 Sounds like you have an amazing mom. Hugs to her for raising a fine son!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
02:49 Mar 17, 2021

My late grandmother was both an English teacher in junior high school (back in the mid-1950s) and later a graduate-level English professor. My maternal-side aunt (my mother's sister) majored in Journalism and I think my mother minored in English (her major was in German). Maybe it runs in the family. ----- Btw, one interruption: I've just submitted the sequel to "Two Sides of the Street". I kept the rough draft's title, "For the Good of All". ----- I've been to psychologists quite a bit in my life. I'm not sure I'd want to be one. ...

Reply

02:56 Mar 17, 2021

Off to read your work 😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kanika G
14:31 Mar 11, 2021

I loved reading this story! It has a lot of depth. I like how you allowed the readers to fill in some of the blanks. It helped me engage more with the story and its characters. Good job! And thank you for following me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jazmin Elvira
18:31 Mar 04, 2021

Wow...that’s all I have to say. That and I loved it!

Reply

19:17 Mar 04, 2021

High praise, indeed :)

Reply

Jazmin Elvira
16:33 Mar 08, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jazmin Elvira
16:33 Mar 08, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Jennifer Caprara
16:43 Feb 19, 2021

I finally got a chance to read your short story. I love it. We just finished reading Hamlet, and I am going to share it with my class.

Reply

16:58 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks for reading. :) Lots of parental angst everywhere. I think it's hilarious you are reading me in your class. We really need a nice long lunch or a gossipy phone call to catch up. Miss you. But I don't miss AHS even a little bit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Valerie June
20:28 Feb 15, 2021

I'm so glad that I found our stores Deidra, they are amazing! You have so much talent as a writer, and I can't wait to read some more of your stories. I'm so glad that their are still people in the world who appreciate Shakespeare's works. :)

Reply

22:01 Feb 15, 2021

What a great comment ❤️ Thanks so much Jose. Glad to meet another member of the Shakespeare Appreciation Club.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:27 Feb 05, 2021

All I have to say..."Wow" I can see why this won!

Reply

21:41 Feb 05, 2021

The mom is a superhero

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:41 Feb 05, 2021

The mom is a superhero

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Holly Fister
02:28 Jan 28, 2021

Your story is riveting! You totally captured the battle between the worry and embarrassment and the constant struggle over the years.

Reply

08:51 Jan 28, 2021

Parenting is exhausting—physically exhausting when kids are little, mentally exhausting when they are big.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zames Zeffery
03:31 Jan 01, 2021

That is a really good story. From a recovering addict.

Reply

10:24 Jan 01, 2021

Thanks, ZZ. Wishing you peace in 2021 ☀️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L. Wu
10:22 Dec 22, 2020

well deserved win gal!!!

Reply

10:35 Dec 22, 2020

Thanks, Leanne!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Henry
03:57 Dec 18, 2020

I loved this story and the way you told it! You managed to stir emotions which is my litmus test for good writing. Thank you for making my day! Now I just need to submit something from my collection to see if you approve...

Reply

04:31 Dec 18, 2020

Let me know when you post. We old timers need to stick together 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chet McHenry
20:26 Dec 10, 2020

Very interesting yarn and well written. Bravo

Reply

21:42 Dec 10, 2020

Thanks, Chet 🙏🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alton Rooi
20:11 Dec 10, 2020

The story attracted me from the start, I got glued to it. Your technique of writing is impressive... "The way you invite one Into the tale." Your conclusion dear writer... Awesome!

Reply

21:23 Dec 10, 2020

Thanks for the love ❤️ Alton

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Priyanka Choubey
16:56 Dec 09, 2020

Amazing presentation!! liked it! I am new here would like to learn from you !!

Reply

18:12 Dec 09, 2020

Welcome! Let me know when you post a story and I'll take a look at it. Just write every week :)

Reply

Priyanka Choubey
10:23 Dec 10, 2020

Thanks :) well I have submitted three stories https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/70/submissions/44835/ https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/69/submissions/44061/ https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/71/submissions/45600/ whenever you have time please give me feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D Kase
04:26 Dec 09, 2020

Simply put, amazing.

Reply

10:22 Dec 09, 2020

Thanks 🙏🏻 for the moral support ❤️

Reply

D Kase
14:00 Dec 09, 2020

No problem. I truly enjoy your work. I cannot wait to read more of it.

Reply

15:42 Dec 09, 2020

That's the best compliment ever :)

Reply

D Kase
15:49 Dec 09, 2020

🥰☺

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Night Fall
21:08 Dec 07, 2020

Daaannnnnggg That's deep. I enjoy reading in "Shakespearean" it was a really good SS.

Reply

22:05 Dec 07, 2020

Thanks, Night Fall. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Le Roux
19:29 Dec 06, 2020

Great story. My kids are turning into adults and it's scary.

Reply

20:03 Dec 06, 2020

You will not know true terror until they turn 19... Enjoy it now, though :)

Reply

Kate Le Roux
07:34 Dec 07, 2020

We're on 15 and 14 so terror phase drawing near. Covid not exactly helping things ...

Reply

14:43 Dec 07, 2020

Benign neglect better than micromanaging. I highly recommend Erik Erikson's Stages of Psychosocial Development to understand why they are so weird. :)

Reply

Kate Le Roux
18:06 Dec 07, 2020

Thanks for the recommendation. Used to be a high school teacher so it's not totally foreign to me. And I do enjoy some of their weirdness :)

Reply

19:25 Dec 07, 2020

If every parent taught middle or high school, that might help cure the epidemic of adolescent depression and anxiety... It's all weirdness! :) :) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.