The Worst Party Ever!!!

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

4 comments

Coming of Age Drama

It was my 13th birthday. My mom had decided to make it the biggest party I have ever seen. I really didn’t care. We had a lot of money and mom had a shopping problem. Mom said to start thinking about what I want for my birthday. All I wanted was my dad back. My dad had died when I was 5 and my mom remarried to my step-father, Mathew. Mathew hated me because I didn't want him, I wanted my dad. I know he married my mom for her money but I didn't care. He makes her happy. Happier than dad ever did. Mom and him went out to get the decorations and left me with the maid, the butler, the chief, and the other staff in our mansion. I hated our mansion. It was so big and hard to navigate. Also half the rooms are empty. In my room the handmaidens were getting me fitted for my birthday gown. I hate the gown. It was an ugly white gown that was itchy. Once mom and Matthew got home I saw the 7 bags they got. I noticed only three were from the party store. That made me happy. The other four were from the fitness store. Mathew loved to buy workout equipment, even though he doesn’t use it. The doorbell rang. My friends must be here. I say they're my friends but really they are the children of my moms friends. I don’t care for them. If i could i would run up to the reading tower (yes, a tower) and continue reading Alice Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. It is an interesting book and one of the few books in the tower I haven't read yet. But sadly I cannot. If i didn’t act like i liked these girls then my mother would lock the door to the reading tower and i wouldn’t get to finish my book. We all were heading towards the back door when luis, our butler, came and stopped us. He said, “There is a terrible storm heading this way, we will have to hold the party inside.” with that we went to go eat and then we sang happy birthday and had cake. After that we opened presents. Mother had insisted on getting the guests as many presents as they did me. We all opened them. The other kids got expensive toys while I got socks. I didn’t care. I don’t like toys. They are useless. I had hoped I would get a book but I knew better. Mother always said, “girls don’t read books, they sing and dance and do other things like that.” We only had a library because mother said it made us look smart. Mother was about to give them a tour when the lights went out. We all went to the window and saw the power lines were down. The storm was passing us. We watched as it went so far that we couldn’t see it anymore. Mothers friends all said they had to go but I knew they were just tired of being stuck with mom. Mother went to show them out and Mathew went to get some wine. I started heading for the stairs when luis stopped me. He said, “It seems you forgot to open my present.” i knew i hadn’t but still i took it and said, “Thank you.” he then said, “Open it.” he watched as i opened it. I was shocked to see a copy of the Moby Dick in the box. That book was the only one not in the tower. I hugged him and said thank you. I headed up to the tower and finished reading Alice Through The Looking Glass. Once I finished I started the Moby Dick. It was an amazing book. At that moment Mathew came up. He almost never came up, unless he was checking that all the coolest books were there. He said, “The librarian says you brought in a new book. Where did you get it?” I knew that if I told him the truth he would fire Luis and throw the book into the fire pit. I simply told him, “Mother got it. She heard that everyone had it in their library and she said that she needed it.” after i said that, the cook came running up and said, “Dinner’s ready”. I knew I was in trouble. Dinner was when Mathew started talking about how bad my grades were (even though I had straight A+) and when I tried to mention this, mother simply tells me to stop lying, which I'm not. But tonight was different. Tonight I had my report card to show mom. When we went down Mathew immediately started talking about my grades. I simply got up and took the paper to mom. She read it for a second and then looked at Mathew. She said, “You lied to me? Again. Over and over you lie to me to get what you want. But when you start getting my daughter in trouble, that is when you have crossed the line.” she then asked me how long this has been going on. I said, “Since the day he got here.” and i tell you, i have never seen her so mad. She started yelling at Mathew and he started yelling back. But then he said something that made mom file for a divorce. He said, “Well at least i am still alive, unlike that last piece of garbage you called a husband.” after that they got a divorce and mom remarried. She married a nice man named Arthur. He wrote books and published them. He now has me proofread his books before he submits them. My life is now so much better and I am actually happy. And last night, I accidentally called Arthur dad. Mother started crying and Arthur just smiled as if he won the lottery. It was the best dinner of my life. i love my life.

May 07, 2021 18:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Carine Coetsee
19:42 May 16, 2021

Cute story. If I may suggest that you might use paragraphs. It would make reading it a lot easier. Keep writing!!

Reply

17:10 May 17, 2021

i had it in paragraphs but i copy and pasted it into a word counter and it deleted the enters i put and then i copy and pasted it from there and forgot to put the paragraphs back.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.A. Blackmore
00:28 May 16, 2021

Aw!!! This is SO GOOD! I-I can't even. Seriously though, you are amazing.

Reply

17:11 May 17, 2021

thank you. i tried really hard

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.