Just the Way You Look Tonight.

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends with a character asking a question.... view prompt

5 comments

General

Just the Way You Look Tonight


           “I love you, just the way you look tonight.” He would certainly sing those words from the old song concerning the woman he was looking at right now. On a dare to himself, he had decided to go to this all-ages singles dance in the community centre. He felt that he had nothing to lose as there was no one important in his life at the time. Friends and close relationships from his past had all long ago ended. It was time for someone new.

           He couldn’t believe when he first saw her that she was a ‘single’ and hadn’t come with anyone else. Her rich brown hair, the way her face glowed, and the way she stood as if she was daring someone to ask her to dance, all of these things were part of a her appeal. The old song started playing, not the type of song that he would have chosen to introduce himself with. But once he had seen her, he did not want anyone else to get to her first.

           When he walked up to her, she stared deep into his eyes, like someone in an old movie might do. She could dance well in the old way as well, which surprised him given that she looked like she was in her early twenties, not of an age to have grown up with that song. He had pride, but no arrogance in his own youthful appearance, but that had not given him complete confidence when he walked up to her.  They moved together smoothly on the dance floor, like this wasn’t their first dance.  It had been a long time since such dances for him.

           She sang the words of the song as it played. That was something of a surprise, but it only endeared her to him more. They stayed together for a few more old songs, fast and slow. It was the “Oldies Hour” of the Dance of the Ages held biweekly in the community centre, what some of the teenagers who went there called the time of the “Geezer Greats.”

           When the Hip Hop Hour began, she asked him whether he wanted to sit down together. He was pleased to do so, as he was old-fashioned in his musical tastes, and didn’t really like that kind of music. They sat and talked, about the sadness of the times in which they were living, and how they did not reflect a view of the future that they had had growing up.

           The Hip Hop Hour lasted for more than its allotted time, as there were a lot of young people there, and they were into the music and their own dance moves, so the two had a good time to establish that they really had a lot in common, much more than they first realized.

           When the Dance of the Ages ended they left the building holding hands. Outside, in the parking lot, came their first awkward moment. It was clear that neither of them knew what he or she should do next. Both faces grew solemn. When they both said, almost at the exact same moment, that “I have an early morning tomorrow,” relief shone from their faces. But there was also a shadow of disappointment and sadness that darkened the corners of their eyes.       

           Seconds passed of silence and stillness. He then leaned over and gave her a kiss, which she returned in full measure. Then both turned and walked away to their separate cars. Each watched the direction in which the other drove – a mental note with wishful thinking buried deep inside it.

           The next day he woke up with pictures of her dancing in his mind. And of him dancing with her. He wished that he could save those pictures to keep with him always. Would he be able to see her again? That would be complicated. With that thought he got up out of bed, got dressed and made himself breakfast. He had a doctor’s appointment this morning that he could not miss.

           When she woke up, she, too had pictures in her mind, especially those of holding his hand. Funny how that little gesture meant so much to her. It had been a long time for her, years and bouts of sadness apart. When she got up she started to dance her way to the bathroom, but she wasn’t nearly so agile as she had been the night before, and she nearly fell. She was glad that she was going to her specialist today, to talk about the effect of the shots. After last night, she knew how important those shots were to her.

           He arrived at his doctor’s in plenty of time. The waiting room was fairly crowded, as several doctors shared its use. There was only seat available, next to an old lady with a friendly and very attractive face. “Is this seat taken? “ “No, I think they bought it.” He liked her sense of humour, and thought that, somehow, her voice was familiar.  Maybe it was the way that all friendly voices have a similar ring to them.

           He waited a long while, fortunately he had brought a book with him, the latest Stephen King, which made the time pass quickly. But periodically, he would look at the old woman. He couldn’t get over the feeling that there was something familiar about her.

Her

           The old lady went into the doctor’s office with a bit of a limp, but still walking proudly. She sat down quietly, and patiently waited for the doctor to appear. His first words to her were, “And how is our little experiment working?” “Fine,” she replied. “I inject myself at four o’clock every day, and by seven o’clock it takes full effect. I was very grateful for it last night.” “Good,” he replied, “With the reports that I am receiving from patients such as you, I am getting closer all the time to announcing my discoveries to the medical community. And my colleagues said that studying lobsters would not lead to any great scientific discovery. Here are some more vials for you.”

           She got home just before four o’clock, just in time to inject the serum that would begin the transformation. Even though she had been through the process dozens of times before, it was still magical to her. Her skin tightened, her hair grew darker and darker, her muscle tone firmed up, and she, to all who could see her now, looked like she was in her twenties. She had to go outside to somewhere, anywhere she could make an appearance. She could not waste her time at home. A young body was not meant for watching television.

Him

           There was no dance tonight, but he was feeling right to go out on the town. He remembered the direction in which she drove when they both went their separate ways. He knew a bar down that way, where people did dance if a band were playing. It was Saturday night, live music night and he definitely felt like dancing. 

           When he pulled up to the bar, he was happy to see that there was a Rolling Stones tribute band that was playing there that night. He got an even more pleasant surprise when he saw ‘her’ car parked in the back. Accordingly, he parked right beside it. It was like he was introducing the two vehicles to each other.

           He ran around to the front door, and then stopped to catch his composure, so he wouldn’t look took anxious. Two deep breaths and he walked as casual-seeming as possible into the bar. He scanned the room. Where was she? Then he saw her sitting at the bar, being chatted up by some slick looking executive-type. This was a reasonably high class area of town. 

Them

           Had he arrived too late? Was there going to be any chance for him to be with her again? He tried to catch her eye, keeping himself out in the open as he walked towards the bar. She saw him a few steps before he made it to the bar. She said in a loud voice, “Ah, my date has arrived. It was nice talking with you.” The man in the suit scowled at him.

           He played along with the game. “Ah, here you are. I am sorry that I am so late. I got held up at work.” As he sat down on the bar stool, she placed her hand on his. They talked. They danced. They held each other tight when the slow songs ended. They both wished that there were more Rolling Stones ballads.

           At closing time, they walked out together hand in hand. As they stood in the moonlight by their cars, a few clouds breezing quickly and quietly past the grandmother of the night, she let go of his hand. “I have something to tell you, before this relationship goes any further. I will let you decide what happens next.” He was speechless in response, almost breathless, and looked down as if interested in what the parking lot was made of.

           “I take injections every day.” His head rose slightly. “They make me look and feel young for 12 hours. For the other half of the day I am very much…..an old woman.” Curiously, given what she had just said, he smiled in response. He replied, “Do you go to Dr. Weintraub?”  Her head moved backwards as if struck a glancing blow. “Yes, how do you know that?” 

           “I go to him too, and for the same reason. I was in his office just this afternoon.”

           Now it was her turn to smile. “Were you the good-looking older man who sat in the last seat in the office? And were you reading a book by Stephen King?” They both stepped forward into a deep and welcome embrace. 

           “So,” he said, “Would you allow me to say, ‘I love you, more than just the way you look tonight?”

May 18, 2020 19:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Gordon Petry
00:13 May 28, 2020

Nicely done. Little hints scattered through out. It's nice to have nice things happen to nice people. Wasn't that a nice sentence? Sorry, I really did like your story. I'm glad the story ended where it did, because I know how it is going to end. Just one question "Where can I get some of those injections?" Thanks for a wonderful read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
L. M.
00:25 May 19, 2020

Aw, nice story. The ending tops it off just right.

Reply

John Steckley
22:32 May 23, 2020

Thanks again. That story has been hanging around in my head for quite some time.

Reply

L. M.
02:18 May 24, 2020

You're welcome. I'll bet the story went through some changes then.

Reply

John Steckley
18:20 May 24, 2020

It certainly did. When I was writing the first draft, I had no idea how I was going to end it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.