2 comments

Horror Funny Romance

“Ouch.”

“Sorry.”

“Why can’t you mind where you’re going.”

“I thought I was.”

Jason lifted the book out of the puddle with his thumb and forefinger, wiped it with his scarf and handed it back to the girl who was brushing spots of water from her jeans and coat.

Susie grabbed the book.

“Thanks, but no thanks.”

“Pagan Rituals?”

“And?”

“Well, it’s an unusual book and you’re -”

“I’m what?”

“Well, you don’t look like the sort of girl who would read a book like that?”

“Oh, so first you send me and my book flying into a filthy puddle and now you’re insulting me.”

Susie walked away.

“Look, I didn’t mean it.”

“Clear off.”

“Don’t be like that. Can I buy you a coffee to make up for it? There’s a coffee shop on the corner.”

Jason stuck his arm out in the direction of the new vegan cafe that had recently opened. 

“I’m not a vegan.”

“Oh, you know the place?”

“I live there.”

“What? In the coffee shop?”

“No, in the flat above. Idiot.”

“That must be handy. We can still have a drink there and get to know each other better.”

“Why would I want to get to know a vegan? I’m a meat eater.”

“You’re also very hard to please.”

They reached the entrance to the cafe. Susie waved at the girl behind the counter.

Hi Meg. She mouthed.

“You know her?”

“I told you I live here.”

“But you said you weren’t a vegan.”

“Look, Megan isn’t a vegan either. She just works here. She keeps slices of meat in the fridge just for any non-vegans who happen to be passing. Have you got a problem with that?”

“No. It’s just that I’m trying to imagine a meat-eating vegan, that’s all.” Jason held his stomach as he doubled over laughing.

“I don’t think that’s funny. Are you coming in or not?”

Susie plonked her sodden book on the table and draped her bag over the side of the chair.

“I’ll see if Meg can do us a couple of free meal deals as she’s my best friend if that’s okay with you? Today’s special?”

“Yes, that’ll be great, thanks.”

“What are you having?”

“Oh, the usual roll with some of the meat from the fridge in it and a bit of salad. Meg won’t mind making one for me.”

“But doesn’t the owner say anything about meat in a vegan cafe?”

”He doesn’t know about it. It looks like that mushroom based stuff. It’s a different colour from real meat. I mean from ordinary meat.

Meg keeps most of it in her freezer at home and just brings a few slices to the café each day. I often sit here with her at lunch break devouring, I mean eating the meat rolls. I don’t know what Megan does to them but they’re really tasty.”

Jason looked Susie’s rear up and down as she turned toward the counter, then pulled the heavy book toward him, wiped it again with his scarf and turned the pages.

“A lot of rituals in here.”

“One for every day of the year.” Susie said as she placed the tray of food on the table.

“What’s it got for New Year’s Eve?”

“I don’t know, I’ve only just got the book from the library.”

Jason turned to page three hundred and sixty-five.

“It looks gruesome. All that blood. You won’t catch me sticking a needle in myself. Can’t stand the sight of blood or needles. I fainted once at the hospital when they went to give me a tetanus injection after I cut my leg open at the farm.”

“You live on a farm?”

“No, I work on a chicken farm.”

“A vegan working on a chicken farm. You’ve got to be joking.” Susie covered her mouth and laughed.

“Don’t be like that. It’s the only job I could get. There’s a dozen of us. We live in the hostel near the town hall. A minibus comes to pick us up in the morning and then brings us back at night. It’s a good setup, and the pay isn’t that bad. All meals while on duty, too. I rarely do any cooking or buy food these days.”

“So, a vegan working on a chicken farm. What about the meals? Do you eat the meat in them?”

“No, I throw it away. I eat what I can and throw the rest away.”

“That’s a bit of a waste of good, wholesome meat. That’s why you’re so skinny even for a vegan. You’re only eating half your meals.

“Thanks. I guess we’re even now.”

“Even?”

“Yes, you said I insulted you when I said you didn’t look like the kind of girl who would read about pagan stuff and now you’ve insulted me by saying I’m skinny.”

“Well, you are. And I’m not exactly pagan. I enjoy reading unusual books and eat a lot of red meat, that’s all.”

“Look, let’s forget this and start again, shall we?” Jason turned his face to the book and sipped his herbal tea.

“What does it say for New Year’s Eve then?”

“Well, you have to stick a needle in someone to draw their blood first. Then it gives you the other instructions and there’s a rhyme here.”

“Spell.”

“What?”

“It’s a spell.”

“Well, whatever it is, you won’t catch me doing it.”

“Why not try. After all, it is New Year’s Eve, and most people celebrate something to welcome in the new year.”

“You call sticking needles in people celebrating?”

“I’ve done worse.”

Susie’s words intrigued Jason. What could be worse than sticking needles in people?

“If you’ve finished your food, we can go up to my flat and experiment with the ritual if you like.”

“Oh, I don’t know. I’m not sure. I hate blood. It makes my blood curdle.”

Susie covered her mouth again as she giggled, accentuating her steel-grey eyes.

“Blood makes your blood curdle. That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard for ages.”

Jason smiled back at Susie. It gave him a cosy feeling in the pit of his stomach. More relaxed.

“Okay, but nothing macabre. Just follow the instructions in the book and that’s all. Promise?”

“I promise.”

Susie placed the empty cups and plates on the tray, brushed the crumbs onto the floor, and headed for the door. 

“We go in the side gate here and up the stairs.”

Jason’s black boots clanked on the metal steps as he followed Susie up the exterior staircase.

“Come in. Put your boots by the door. The carpets are all brand new and the landlady says no shoes inside.”

Jason obeyed.

“Would you like a drink? I do happen to have some herbal teas here. I’m not totally inconsiderate of other people, you know. I’m having coffee.”

“Lovely, thanks.”

Jason sat on the sofa, thumbing through the thick book. Most of the rituals covered several pages except the last one, which looked quite simple, or so he thought.

Susie placed her cup and the herbal tea on the coffee table, sat down, and leaned over Jason to read the book.

“What does it say?”

“Well, first of all, we need blood. Like I said, I’m not letting anyone stick a needle in me. You can if you like, but don’t come anywhere near me with the bloody thing.”

“I can’t draw on my own blood. It has to be yours. You’re the one we’re doing the ritual on.”

“Are we?”

“Yes. Why not?”

“Well-".

“Look, I’ve got a huge steak in the fridge I bought for my New Year’s Day dinner. I can get some blood off that, and we can begin.”

“Are you sure? It sounds a bit drastic to me.”

“We need blood, and that’s that. It’s there waiting in my fridge. Take your t-shirt off.”

“What?”

“Take your t-shirt off.”

“But-”

“Are we doing this or not?”

Jason waited until Susie turned her back on her way to the fridge, then pulled his t-shirt up over his head and tucked it behind him on the sofa. Folding his arms across his pale, hairless chest, he felt a blast of cold air shoot across the room as the fridge door opened and Susie took out the plate of red meat. Jason wanted to heave as he looked at the blood oozing from the steak onto the white dish. Was this really a good idea he was beginning to ask himself.

“You’re looking a bit pale, Jason. Is the sight of this lovely red meat putting you off?”

“No. Not really. Well, yes.”

“Look, how about I hypnotize you to not be afraid of blood?”

“You’re a hypnotist?”

“No. But I’ve seen it done on the tv many times. Lay down and close your eyes.”

“What?”

“Lay down, and close your eyes, can’t you. Just relax.”

Jason felt far from relaxed as the lumpy old cushion beneath his head dug into the back of his neck. His long skinny legs dangling over the end of the short sofa. He shuffled his body, pushed his back deeper into the cushions, folded his arms across his chest, and closed his eyes. 

“Every breath you take makes you feel more and more relaxed. Relax now. Relax now.”

Jason cleared his throat as the taut facial muscles eased and his breath settled into an even rhythm.

“I’m now going to perform the ritual.” 

Susie gently took Jason’s arms and placed them by his side.

“Your arms are limp and loose, limp and loose. Are you okay Jason?”

“Yes, I’m fine.”

“Keep your eyes shut then as I make some marks on your chest with the blood from this steak.”

Jason heaved.

“Are we doing this or not?”

“Yes, but can you stop talking about blood all the time? Even the smell of that meat makes me feel sick.”

“Just relax and it’ll all be over in next to no time.”

Jason took in a breath, shuffled his body further down the sofa, and gave out a long, loud sigh. 

Susie rubbed her index finger over the steak and drew some lines on Jason’s bony white chest.

She ran her blood red fingertip between his breasts and down to his naval. Dipping her finger in the blood that oozed out of the piece of meat, she drew lines around his nipples and up to his collarbones copying the pattern in the Pagan Rituals book.

It’s New Year’s Eve.

Do as you please.

Make some friends.

Make amends.

Let go of the past.

The spell is cast.

Susie recited the spell as she dabbed more blood on Jason’s upper torso. Jason’s chin dropped to his chest and his mouth fell open. He was asleep.

Sweet as a sleeping baby, she thought. 

Susie quietly closed the book and placed it on the floor beside her stockinged feet as she knelt closer to Jason. She pulled her long red hair back off her face, leant forward and gently brushed his neck. Opening her mouth wide she dug her teeth deep into his flesh, sucking out his life blood.

Sitting back on her heals Susie wiped the crimson drips from her chin with the back of her hand, picked up her mobile and tapped a contact.

“Meg. He’s all yours. There’s plenty of meat here for your freezer.”

December 31, 2021 16:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Zelda C. Thorne
17:41 Jan 01, 2022

Hello there, Loved the banter! Good read.

Reply

Barbara Burgess
20:33 Jan 01, 2022

thank you - thanks for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.