0 comments

Fiction

     The City of Sunrise was a paradise, for many.

     Tall skyscrapers that peaked above the clouds, the city lights that never went out during even the darkest of nights, and a place bustling with opportunities for many young, aspiring workers. 

     In the skies was where everyone wanted to be. A place where you were up so high that the sun was always shining, and the occasional cirrus cloud would pass through your neighborhood. Sunrise’s artificial climate would keep the temperatures nice and balmy up there, and also supply enough oxygen for all the residents. At night, neon lights would flash across the city, lighting up Time Square and projecting anime characters onto manholes. The streetlights would flash hot pink and lime green and navy blue at random intervals, making way for an endless party underneath the moonlight every single night.

     But the partygoers always seemed to forget that Sunrise was a city that rose from the ground. Where solid earth was underneath your feet, not concrete held up by crumbling pillars, the further down you went. 

     A wise man once said, if you want to know a city, ask the rats.

     The rats would tell you that the further down you went in Sunrise, the more the ugly truth came to light.

     Near the bottom of the city, the only lights that reached down that far was that of the flickering and fading light bulbs strung haphazardly around the ‘city.’ They were old and dirty, smudged with long dried dirt that made the light splotchy and weak. The buildings that turned into huge malls and industrial buildings and fancy posh hotels were made of crumbling, collapsing concrete down there, threatening to collapse at the slightest explosion.

     Living conditions were horrible. Poverty rates soared higher than the highest building in Sunrise. And along with it, came the highest crime rate any city had ever seen.

     People up top didn’t consider this drastically different part of the city part of Sunrise. To them, this was a completely different city.

     This city was the City of Hades.

     That was where Lialka lived.

     Hades had been a dog-eat-dog world ever since Lialka had been born. She never went to school. She never learned math and reading and science from rich, fancy, educated teachers, or how to be kind and respectful and the importance of standing up to bullying. No, Lialka was taught how to survive.

     Lialka’s job in the Underworld was as a kidnapper.

     Gangs wanted power. They fought over useless turf, long-destroyed delis and marketplaces and squares. To become powerful, they needed manpower. And that was where the kidnappers came in.

     Lialka…didn’t like it one bit.

     But that was how things were in the Underworld.

     Yet the current assignment Lialka had was…different. Normally, she kidnapped people from other gangs. Did work for whoever paid the most. And this time, the West Boyz Gang had given her the assignment to kidnap someone from Sunrise.

     Not just any spoiled brat from the streets, either. Her job was to bring back Elizabeth Winters. The mayor of Sunrise’s own daughter.

     So Lialka had dressed up in her best outfit that she wore to lure away unsuspecting victims: a simple but elegant white ballerina dress, clean white stockings, and a wig made of fake roses. She had a sword disguised as a parasol, in case anything went wrong.

     Lialka snuck up to Sunrise, none of the foolish security guards even bothered to check her ID or anything. She was assertive that this mission would go off like any other, aside from the dazzling eye candy she would get to enjoy on the way.

     But nothing could have prepared Lialka for the biggest midnight party of the year, up in Sunrise.

     When she first stepped out of the eyesore-of-a-subway, Lialka was absolutely stunned.

     The buildings that were a fading tan and crumbling away in Hades were made of smooth, sleek metal, with lights blaring out of every window. Neon pink, lime green, vibrant blues, sunny yellows, every single color underneath the rainbow reflected across the entire city and turned Sunrise into a huge disco party.

     Lialka stumbled as she was pushed aside by some eager citizens. She caught herself on a lamppost. It was made of refined black metal, the light inside the lamppost switching between hot pink and fiery red. She took a few steps forward, and caught sight of a manhole beneath her feet. The face of an anime character with midnight blue hair and a singular eye patch smirked back at her. 

     She couldn’t do this. How could Sunrise be so…so…

     “Hey! You there in the cute white dress! I love your wig!”

     Lialka swung her head in the direction of the voice calling to her, and widened her eyes. 

     A girl, around 13 or 14 years of age, with curled blonde hair tied into pigtails and a fabulous pink and brown dress ran straight towards Lialka, an adorable smile on her face. The girl’s shining silver eyes reflected none of the emotions that Lialka had been so familiar with seeing in people. Instead of sorrow, caution, and calculation, there was nothing but cute, pure innocence in those silvery orbs.

     Lialka always memorized her targets’ faces before leaving on a mission. This time, it was no different.

     This was Elizabeth Winters.

     “Where did you get that wig of roses? It’s such an original idea, I’ve never seen something like it before!” Elizabeth squealed. “Oh, my name’s Elizabeth. What’s yours?”

     “L-Lialka,” Lialka stammered back, still extremely overwhelmed by…just everything. 

     “Lialka? Wow! That’s such a WONDERFUL name!” Elizabeth squealed childishly. “I’m a little bored tonight, all my friends are elsewhere. How about we go to the Anime Fest happening tonight? I heard there’s going to be TONS of live action musicals and performances from all different anime’s happening tonight!”

     Lialka didn’t even have a chance to respond before Elizabeth dragged her away. And in the blink of an eye, Lialka was on what was the most colorful vehicle that she had ever seen in her entire life. The roof of the tram car was a vibrant jade green, the walls such a clean white that it sparkled in the lights of the city. Oriental music drowned out all the pop songs blasting throughout the city, and waitresses dressed in Asian robes brought delightful snacks of ‘mochi’ and ‘candied fruit’ to the passengers.

     And in another blink of an eye, Lialka found herself in the middle of the largest crowd she had ever seen, standing dumbfoundedly beside Elizabeth as she cheered on a performance occurring on stage, about some circus mystery musical. Lialka had absolutely no idea what was going on—but she loved every second of it.

     It was all supposed to be just another kidnapping. Another customer to please and earn some precious cash from.

     Instead, Lialka found herself entranced by the beauties of Sunrise.

     That was just the beginning of how a kidnapper from the depths of Hades rose up to Sunrise, and began anew. In the next few days, Lialka formed a strong bond with Elizabeth. Built up a new life in Sunrise.

      But never once did Lialka forget about how terrible things were down in Hades. She would strive to change that; to make the people of Sunrise realize how unstable and poor their roots were, and restore the bottom of the city to its former glory.

     Lialka was a girl with an inextinguishable quest.

July 05, 2021 18:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.