0 comments

Fiction Inspirational

Survivor’s Gratitude

In the bustling city of Eliot, there lived a man named Jack. Over the past several years Jack had become a hardwired cynic. To him, the world was bleak, filled with disappointments and false hopes. He worked as an accountant, a job he found monotonous but stable. His friends often joked that he saw the glass not just half empty but probably poisoned, too.

Jack's cynicism wasn't without reason. A few years earlier, he had survived a near-fatal car accident. The physical scars had healed, but the emotional ones had left him with a lingering sense of bitterness. The accident took away his ability to see the good in life, and he found himself trapped in a cycle of negativity.

     Before the car accident, Jack was optimistic and cheerful. He was a friend who helped others find the silver lining during challenging moments. At work, he enjoyed his clients and was satisfied when he helped them solve financial problems.

Jack was known among his family and friends for his warm smile and contagious laughter. He could often be heard telling a silly joke such as, “Why don’t accountants ever get sunburned? Because they always stay in the shade.”

The car accident had changed him. He used to love a long hike or a bike in the mountains of a nearby town. In fact, he enjoyed almost everything about the outdoors. Neighbors would admire his garden full of roses, gerbera daisies, hyacinths, and many other colorful flowers. His vegetable garden was so prolific that he gave baskets of tomatoes, cucumbers, and more to anyone who stopped by. But the eighteen months it had taken to recover from his devastating injuries changed him. He didn’t know how to turn back the clock and become the person he once was. He mourned his old self. 

One day, during a visit to his doctor for a routine checkup, Jack mentioned his perpetual feelings of dissatisfaction and negativity. The kind woman, Dr. Patel, listened patiently before making a surprising suggestion.

           “Have you ever tried keeping a gratitude journal?” Her eyes twinkled with hope and challenge.

           Jack scoffed, “A gratitude journal? You're kidding, right? Writing down things I'm thankful for won't change anything.”

           Dr. Patel smiled, “Humor me. Write down three things you’re grateful for at the end of each day. Try it for a month. Who knows? Maybe you’ll be surprised.”

           Reluctant, Jack agreed, more to the end of the conversation than out of any genuine belief it would help. That first evening was a struggle. He sat at the kitchen table and stared at the blank notebook he’d bought on the way home. He could barely think of anything he was grateful for. After some time ticked away, he sighed deeply and picked up a pen.

1.    Coffee was good this morning.

2.    Didn’t get stuck in traffic on my way home.

3.     At the supermarket, I found a parking space quickly.

Unimpressed, he stared at the list but closed the notebook and went about his evening. The next few days weren't much different. The entries felt forced and shallow. But as the days turned into weeks, something began to shift. Jack started to notice small things he had previously overlooked.

One cold evening, about two weeks into his journaling, Jack was walking home from work. The street was slick with ice, and as he turned a corner, he saw an older woman struggling to carry her groceries. Without thinking, he walked over to help her.

“Let me give you a hand with these,” he offered.

The woman looked up, surprised but grateful. “Thank you, young man. I don’t know

how I would have managed.”

As they walked together, she told him about her life, how she had recently lost her husband and was finding it difficult to manage on her own. Jack listened and felt a pang of empathy. When they reached her home, she invited him for tea as a thank you.

Jack felt an unfamiliar sense of contentment in her warm, cozy kitchen. They chatted for an hour, and as he left, she pressed a small, wrapped gift into his hands.

“It's just a little something,” she said. “For your kindness.”

When Jack walked into his apartment, he opened the small gift. Inside was a soft and

warm hand-knitted scarf. He wrapped it around his neck and smiled. That night, his gratitude entries were different.

1.    Helped a kind old lady with her groceries.

2.    Had a lovely chat and made a new friend.

3.    Received a beautiful hand-knitted scarf.

He paused after writing the last entry. A small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. The woman’s gesture had warmed him. Ever so slightly, he began to feel a slight crack in the wall of cynicism he had carefully built around himself years earlier.

By the end of the month, Jack was surprised to find his perspective had shifted, albeit

slightly. He still had his cynical tendencies, but he found moments of genuine appreciation creeping into his days. His gratitude entries grew more meaningful.

1.    Had a great conversation with my neighbor.

2.    Finished the project at work and received positive feedback.

3.    My sister called just to chat and catch up.

A month later, Jack returned to Dr Patel for a follow-up appointment. She asked

about the journal, and to his surprise, he found himself admitting that it hadn't been as pointless as he thought.

           “It’s strange,” he said. It’s not like my life is suddenly perfect, but I guess I see things a bit differently now. The good things were always there; I just wasn’t looking for them.”

           Dr. Patel smiled, “Sometimes, a little shift in perspective is all we need.”

           Jack left the office feeling lighter than he had in a few years. He wasn’t ready to proclaim himself the optimist he had once been. But he had discovered that there was always something to be grateful for, even in a world full of imperfections. And that was enough to make a difference.

July 28, 2024 22:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.