Beauty in the Mundane

Submitted into Contest #160 in response to: Write about a character whose job is to bring water to people.... view prompt

1 comment

Drama Fiction Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The elevator shifted slightly as I hopped in, pulling the hand truck closely behind me. I gave a nod and a small smile to the woman I had to nestle in closely to to make room for the others. It was a cramped space and I couldn’t blame everyone for looking a bit grumpy having to use this day in and day out. 

I watched the numbers above the door light up, one after another, as we climbed the building. After a few stops, the number 14 finally lit up and the door opened, a small chime left ringing in my ears. I said my pardons and walked out, my eyes met with the fluorescent lights and rows of cubicles. 

“Oh hey Robert. You can bring that over here.”

My head turned at the sound of my name. Clem, the office secretary, whose red lipstick was always nearly as bright as her hair, smiled and motioned me over. I hauled the order to her desk and huffed, lifting the 5 gallon water jug onto the ground next to her. 

“Hey Clem, you sure you don’t want me to take it to the break room?”

“Nah, it’s in shambles right now. They started renovations a week ago.”

“Hmm, got it.” I straightened my back and looked around. “How has the week been treatin’ ya?” Clem never let anyone leave without small talk so I figured it’d make her happy if I initiated it for once. 

Sure enough, her face lit up. 

“Oh darlin’, you’ve got no idea,” she rolled her eyes and looked over her shoulder. The coast was clear. “Shelly started dating Michelle’s ex and it’s been really awkward. Being in the same room as them is dreadful.” She shuttered. “Oh, and Andy got fired last week, but you didn’t hear that from me.”

“Yikes, it really has been an eventful week.” I rubbed the back of my neck, desperately trying to place names to faces. 

“But none of that is as exciting as lil’ miss Korine.” Clem’s mouth shifted into a sly smile. 

“Clem, I’ve told you several times nothing is happening between Korine and I. She’s just … nice to me, that’s all.” I shrugged, hoping that sounded convincing enough to drop the topic. 

She scoffed. “Honey, I know when someone’s got bit by the love bug from miles away.” She leaned on her elbows and looked up at me. “Are ya gonna see her today?”

I shifted on my feet, slightly uncomfortable. “Well … yes, but purely for business. The water ain’t gonna deliver itself ya know?”

Clem raised an eyebrow. “Uh huh … whatever you say Robert. Off ya go then.” She smiled as she waved me away and disappeared behind the desk. 

I took the opportunity to make my exit, feeling my skin become hotter by the second. 

As I stepped out of the office building, I felt the cool air brush up against my skin. I quickly made my way to the van, loaded up the hand truck, and leaped into the driver’s seat. I only had one more delivery to make today and then I was free of all obligations for the weekend. 

The van sputtered to life as I typed in the last address into my phone. As I drove onto the main road leading out of the town, I willingly let my mind wander, taking in the events of the day. They are typically uneventful, but today was busy with scheduled orders. I had started the morning in a few residential neighborhoods, then off to the apartment complexes across from the town's university, an elementary school one of my friend’s kids go to, and two office buildings located downtown. 

Thinkin’ about it, I’d say I genuinely enjoy my job, but I find others tend to be confused as to why. They describe it as mundane … unfulfilling. But I don’t think of it that way. Ever since I started I’ve gotten to make acquaintances, and even some friendships, in scenarios I wouldn’t have found myself in before. It’s led to some great conversations and I probably know way too much about people who don’t know of me. The commute ain’t too bad either. It’s relaxing. Especially now that the leaves are turning colors and the skies have been ever so graciously overcast. There’s beauty in the mundane if you know where to look. 

My mind wandered back to the conversation I had with Clem before I left, causing me to look down at my phone. I was only 8 minutes away from Korine’s house. 

– – –

I could see Korine’s blonde curls from her front porch as I drove up the dirt driveway. I met Korine a year after she bought the old cottage on the outskirts of town. The townsfolk thought it would be abandoned and torn down for sure, but then Korine came in, persistent as ever, and gave it a second chance. Her porch was adorned with flowers, a bench with patterned pillows and a fresh coat of sage green paint. She was watering her flowers when I reached the end of the driveway. Before I could even get out of the van, the front door sprung open, a young and spunky Madeline leaping out and onto the dirt. If I remember correctly, she had just had her 6th birthday. 

“Mr. Robert!” The sound of her giggling filled my ears as I outstretched my arms, encasing her in a bear hug. 

“Sweet Madeline, it’s so good to see you.” It had been nearly a month since they put in a delivery. I didn’t realize how much I had missed them. 

“Hi Robert.” The sound of her voice was as delicate as ever. 

I looked up at Korine as she wiped the planting soil off her hands. 

“It’s good to see you.” Her embrace felt like home. 

I still remember the day Korine was added to my route. She was the first to strike up a conversation and offer me a seat at her table for some tea. It was one of the hottest days of the season and without a doubt one of the best glasses of sweet tea I’ve ever tasted. Her compassion had never faulted no matter how long I’d known her or no matter what she’d been through. I’m still uncertain of her past. The only details she’s told me is that she had been through a rough divorce and needed a fresh start for her and her daughter. 

“It’s so good to see you both.” I could barely hide the cheesy smile plastered on my face. “I got something for y’all.”

“You’re a lifesaver, we were getting low. I’ll go make room in the kitchen. C’mon honey, let’s get out of Robert’s way.” Korine took Madeline’s hand in hers and guided her back into the house. 

Returning back to the van, I quickly unloaded the 3 five gallon jugs onto the ground, preparing to take them in one at a time. I maneuvered the hand truck over the dirt, careful to avoid rocks, and walked up the porch. As I walked through the front door, a shiny gray rectangle on the trim of the doorframe caught my attention. It was wildly out of place. 

Once in the kitchen I set the water jug down and turned to Korine. 

“Hey, um, what’s with the camera on the front door? That’s new.” I suddenly felt nosey, but couldn’t help my curiosity. 

Her eyebrows narrowed and her lips pursed into a thin line only for her features to quickly soften again. “Oh ya know, it’s only me and Madeline out here. You can never be too careful nowadays.” She turned back towards the sink without saying another word. 

It was hard to ignore the uneasy feeling in my stomach, but I’ve also known Korine to be a strong woman. If she needed something, she would let me know. However, I still couldn’t shake the feeling of guilt for making her feel uncomfortable. Maybe it was best if I headed out. 

I was about to say my goodbyes when Korine turned back around. She looked nervous. 

“Hey Robert …,” I raised my eyebrows. “Madeline and I were going to make some pasta and garden salad tonight if you wanted to maybe join us for dinner?” She smiled softly, but her hands were fidgeting with the hand towel she was using. 

All the tension immediately left my body and was replaced with elation. 

“Oh, absolutely. That sounds great.” Her eyes lit up, leaving a warm feeling in my stomach. “I’ll just need to return the company truck and wash up. But I should be back around 6. Does that work?”

“Yes, don’t feel like you need to rush.”

– – –

But I did indeed rush. Dinner with Korine was something I had only dreamed about for the past few months, but had been too nervous to initiate. She seemed so distant from relationships and I didn’t want to push it. 

I sped back to the shop, traded in the van for my car, and rushed home to shower and change. I spent an embarrassing amount of time picking out a button up and trimming my beard. Now that I think about it, she had only ever seen me in my work uniform and, for some reason, that made me even more nervous. 

It was about 6:30 when I finally turned down her street. I felt bad that I was later than I said I’d be, but there was no way I wasn’t showing up to her house without flowers. 

I drove up her driveway once again and parked next to her car. I stepped out and cradled the flowers carefully in my arms, not wanting to damage any of the petals. I followed the stepping stones up to the front door only to find it slightly ajar. 

Maybe she’s just expecting me to let myself in? I thought to myself.

I nudged the door open only to be taken aback by the disaster that once was her perfectly kept entryway. Terracotta pots were shattered on the floor, leaving streaks of black soil embedded into the carpet. A picture of Korine and Madeline had been shattered. 

“OPEN UP BITCH I KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE”.

The bellowing of a man’s voice echoed throughout the house, causing my blood to freeze and turning my legs to stone. There was a loud pounding on the bathroom door. 

“Michael, please … calm down.” My pulse quickened at the sound of Korine’s voice, followed by a mellow whimper that I assume came from Madeline. Her once calm demeanor was now replaced with desperate pleas. I felt my body become hot, jaw tightening. 

Trying to regain feeling in my legs, I moved carefully around the broken glass. The pounding became louder followed by the jiggling of a doorknob. The door was going down at any moment. 

“Don’t tell me what to fucking do BITCH.”

Another bang. 

I flinched at his voice, but continued on through the kitchen. I peaked around the corner of the wall and at the end of the hall stood a tall man with broad shoulders hovering over the bathroom door. His fists were red from banging on the door. 

“You piece of shit mother. GIVE ME MY DAUGHTER.”

Daughter? 

My mind scrambled over the sound of wood cracking and persistent profanity.

Then it finally clicked with me. Her ex husband. The one she had to “start over” from and refused to speak about. 

Another piece of the puzzle snapped into place. 

The camera on the front door. 

She had been worried about her safety. Because of this fucking dickhead.

Without giving it a second thought, I allowed the adrenaline that had built up flow through my body and take complete control. 

“Hey asshole, how ‘bout you leave ‘em alone and we can talk outside.”

The pounding stopped. 

I watched as this man, Michael? turn around to face me. His face was as red as his fists and his eyes were bloodshot. He had to have been intoxicated.

“Who the hell are you?” His voice bellowed through the walls. I watched as his eyes scanned me, then falling on the flowers I still held in my hand. 

He bent his head back and laughed. “Oh, HA, I get it. You’re fucking my wife aren’t you? That’s why you’re here? Wouldn’t surprise me considering she’s a whore.”

I could feel my own blood boil in my veins. “Do not speak about her like that asshole.” 

His grim smile was wiped away from his face and he began to move towards me. I stood my ground, despite how much I wanted to run. I stood up straighter, but I was still significantly shorter than him and, to be brutally honest, I didn’t stand much of a chance. 

I maintained eye contact in hopes of him backing down when I noticed his hand start to move to his waist. 

FUCK.

In one quick swift movement, he pulled a gun from his belt and shot in my direction in the same moment as I ducked around the corner. I felt a sharp sting on my left shoulder. Blood trickled down from where the bullet grazed my skin. I heard Madeline begin to cry. 

Heavy footsteps trailed behind me as I bolted for the front door. 

I need to get him out of the house. 

I clutched my arm in an attempt to stop the blood while I ran down the front porch steps and took cover in one of the shrubs. 

Shit shit shit. 

I needed to call the cops but my phone was in the van. I decided it was safer to remain hidden and keep an eye on him. There’s a chance he could go looking for me and I could make a break for it. 

Within a few moments, Michael was on the front steps and breathing heavily, gun cocked by his side. 

“Where’d you go you little bitch!? Come out and fight like a man!” He scanned the area, slowly descending the stairs. 

I looked around desperately for something to protect myself with when I noticed blonde curls from behind Michael. My body stiffened, watching Korine come into view. My eyes widened. 

I lost all control at the thought of her getting hurt. 

“STAY INSIDE.” I involuntarily yelled. 

I instantly saw Michael turn to face me, gun pointed and nowhere to run. 

“Let’s end this.” His voice rang through the yard. I closed my eyes accepting what was about to happen next. 

“Don’t you fucking HURT HIM!” Korine’s voice filled the air. I looked up just in time to see Korine hoisting one of the water jugs above her head and launching it at Michael, knocking him completely unconscious. 

– – – 

It was within 10 minutes that the cops pulled up to the house and Michael was in handcuffs. Korine had called the second Michael was drawn away from the bathroom. The police took our statements, requested access to the porch camera’s footage, and cleaned up my arm. I’d be fine they said. 

I walked over to Korine and Madeline and took a seat next to them on the porch. Madeline was asleep in her mother’s lap. 

“I’m sorry you had to find out this way.” Korine’s voice was low. “I was going to tell you about him eventually, but I just wanted to move on and forget about it.”

I wrapped my arm around her. “There’s no need to apologize. I’m just glad you’re safe. But … did you know he was coming? I mean the camera …”

“He breached the restraining order and reached out to me over social media a few weeks ago. I didn’t think it would come to this, but I still got it just in case and well …” She took a deep sign. “It’s a good thing I did. That fucker is going to finally get what he deserves.”

We both watched as the police cars drove away down the street until they were out of sight. 

I heard Korine let out a heavy sigh and then chuckled slightly. 

“Hey Robert …” 

I looked down at her. “Hmm?”

“I’m gonna need to put in another order for a water jug.”

August 26, 2022 02:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

12:08 Sep 01, 2022

Very good action and tension. I liked the ask for a new jug at the end of the story, so we dont know if she was using him or not. Everyplace in the story with dialogue and actions works well. In the descriptive paragraphs you could possibly take out a few -ly adjectives and use strong verbs. Esp the opening sentence. But overall good pacing and tension which pulled me through the story. Saw this on the critique circle:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.