3 comments

Romance Sad Fiction

[This is a continuation of Memories of Rosewood. For more context about the characters, please read that story first]

The time was 4:57 am when they made it on top of The Bare Hills. "There", Lee said. Sophie looked up and there it was, sunrise. They set and watched it. It was a beautiful moment, she almost wanted to cry. Sophie and Lee had been dating for 6 months after meeting at Rosewood. After their first date, which happened 4 days after returning to the city, Lee asked her to be exclusive. Sophie was overjoyed because she felt the intense, electric connection between them and agreed immediately. A few months ago, she'd told him that she'd never seen a sunrise before. "I'm a late riser and I'd like to experience that, just once. But ugh, waking up early…". Then that week on Thursday, Lee called to tell her they were going hiking on Saturday. She didn't know that it would be at 4 am. "Babe why so early? I'm barely awake and it's kind of dark", she complained in the car. "You'll see", he said with a smile. And 57 minutes later, she did see. "I wanted you to experience your first sunrise", he said. She kissed him deeply. They made love on top of the mountain.

Dating Lee was absolutely amazing, he was adventurous, thoughtful and kind. "I'm so jealous, Soph", Andrew would say. "He's perfect for you and you deserve it". She truly felt lucky. When they drove back to her place, she said, "I'd like you to meet my mom. I've been raving on about you and she really wants to meet you, if that's something you're comfortable with, of course". Lee paused. He never pauses. He has a quick and direct answer for everything. Oh God, did I scare him?, she thought to herself, terrified. "I'd love to meet your mother", he said smiling, after what felt like forever.

"You guys, he paused". Amanda and Andrew gasped, "But Lee never pauses", Amanda said. "That's what I thought", Sophie said. "Do you think I scared him off?". "I don't think you scared him off, Andrew is crazy about you. Also, you did say he smiled when he agreed, right?", Andrew said, trying to sound optimistic. "Right", Sophie replied weakly. They were at Le Soul, the only Michelin star restaurant in the city. The guy Andrew was currently dating owned the place and they had their own private room. "Anyway, just see how the dinner goes with his parents and then see if you have anything to worry about", Amanda said. "So, tell us about your new man", Sophie said, she wanted to get all the attention away from her. Andrew then started spilling the beans. At 11 pm, Sophie had to go home because she had work the following day. "Work on a Saturday? They're killing you over there", Andrew said. "I know but the big bosses are coming down, so everyone has been summoned". She said her goodbyes and went home. "Something's fishy about Andrew and we have to get to the bottom of it", Andrew said once Sophie left. "You're right. I once asked him about his thoughts on Javascript in the late 90s and he had an answer for that, he's not even in IT", Amanda replied.

Sunday came, Lee was wearing a badge polo neck, dark trousers, badge Chelsea boots and a dark brown coat. He looked ravishing. "Lee, darling come in", Sophie's mom welcomed him in. Their eyes met and she knew right there and then that she was in love with him. Her mom had cooked up a storm and Lee ate every single dish. By the end of the night, she knew he'd won her mom over. "Be sure to come again, I absolutely adore your company". "I definitely will Mrs Zeta". "Bye mom, I'll call you". They left holding hands. He walked her to her car, "I think tonight was a success, your mom loves me now". Sophie laughed, "You're so cocky, but you're not wrong". When she got to her door, he kissed her, with much passion and vigor. She almost thought he wanted to have her there and then. "I have to tell you something", he said, stopping the kiss mid-way, "well, two things, no, no, three things". "Lee, breathe, one thought at a time", she said chuckling. "Well, I wanted to say, I love you. I'm so in love with you and tonight just solidified that for me". So he felt it too, she thought. "I also want you to move in with me. Living 30 minutes away from each other isn't doing it for me. It's too far and I want you with me. I want to wake up next to you, I want to come home to you", he continued, "and I want you to meet my parents, they're coming to visit in two weeks and I'd love for you to meet them". Sophie was tearing up. "Yes to all of it", she said kissing him, "and I love you too, Lee".

Lee's parents were staying at the prestigious Bronze Petal Hotel & Spa, nothing less than then best for the Chens. Lee was anxious about the meeting. He knew his parents weren't welcoming to the idea of him dating. But he thought that he could change their minds. He'd done well for himself without their help and he wanted the decision of whom he spent his life with to be up to him. He was pleased when they were willing to come and meet his girlfriend. Lee hadn't told Sophie that he was born into wealth but because things were becoming serious between them, he wanted to let her into his world. Lee loved his parents and as an only child, they were all pretty close. He also loved the freedom they gave him. He was able to choose the high school and college he wanted to attend and even his own career path as a top anaesthesiologist. He was able to live his own life outside their multi-billion pharmaceutical company. When he told them he was dating, there was push back, something he wasn't used to from his parents. But tonight, they'll see how awesome Sophie is and they'll love her like I do, he was sure.

Sophie was a nervous wreck. As she was getting ready for meeting Lee's parents, her phone rang. "Hey babe, what's up?", she said, "Soph, can you please stop by the office before you go meet Lee", Andrew said, sounding serious. "Um, okay, I still have time. I'll be there in 20 minutes". Sophie wondered what was so urgent. She opted for a sleeveless one shoulder soft turquoise wrap dress and put her braids in a high bun. She looked stunning.

She got to Andrew's office, surprised to see that Amanda was there too. What the fuck is going on?, she was starting to panic. "What's going on?", she asked her friends. "First of all, you look absolutely beautiful. Secondly, take a seat", Andrew said. "Well, after you told us about Lee's "pause", we got suspicious and decided to do a bit of digging". "And", Amanda continued, "Andrew hit Tyler up to ask about Lee. Turns out he is rich. Filthy rich, born to billionaire parents. So that wasn't interesting, so we decided to just follow him around". Sophie was still and quiet. "So last week, he went to dinner with this girl, Amy Yang, Tyler knew her because they went to the same high school and her and Lee dated all the way through college", Andrew said. "They've gone to dinner three times since. Now, it might be nothing. But I think you should ask him". This was a lot of information for Sophie to process. She looked at the time and it was almost 7 pm. "I have to go, I'll be late for dinner with Lee's parents". "I know they'll love you. Don't think too much about what we said", Andrew yelled after her as she left.

She got to the restaurant just in time and was shown to the private table the Chen's were sitting. They all got up to greet her. "Sophie, this is Mr Zang Chen and Mrs Biyu Chen, my parents. Mom, dad, this is Sophie Zeta. They exchanged pleasantries and sat. The conversation was friendly and pleasant, Lee's dad laughing at some of Sophie's remarks. Sophie loved seeing Lee interact with his parents, she could tell he loved them deeply. She almost forgot what her friends had told her earlier. The night was winding down and just as everyone was getting ready to leave, Mrs Chen said, "Sophie, you know Lee is our only son, right?", "Yes, Mrs Chen", she replied. "And I see that you are fond of him and want the best for him. So do we. You are a lovely young woman, but I think me and Mr Lee can agree that we can't let this relationship continue". "What?", Lee said, shocked. "Excuse me?", Sophie said. "Son, you know you're the heir to ChenPharma. You're my only successor. This is why we were pleased when you started dating Amy Yang in high school. Her parents purposely sent her to your high school so you two could become a couple. It was very saddening to both families when you two broke up, but we thought you'd get back together at some point. But now, with miss Zeta here, we see that there can't be a future for you and miss Yang, if you two are together. This is why we can't give this relationship our blessing", Mr Chen said. Sophie's tears dropped down her cheeks, "Mr and Mrs Chen, thank you for having me", she said, and ran out of the restaurant crying. "Sophie", Lee called after her, but remained behind with his parents.

She got to her place and kicked a box on her way in and fell to the floor. Her place was mostly boxes because she was to move to Lee's penthouse the next week. She knew that wasn't a reality anymore, which caused her to cry even harder. She went to bed crying, not bothering to charge her now dead phone.

She woke up in the afternoon. Sadness sure had a way of making one sleep. She charged her phone an hour later. The phone started buzzing from texts from Lee, Andrew and Amanda. She was in no mood to talk to anyone. She switched her phone off and went to sleep again. She was woken up by a loud banging at her door. She lazily walked to her door and opened it. Lee stood there. She went to shut the door but he blocked it. "Sophie, please let me in. Please. I want to explain". She let him in. They sat on the floor. Shit, I have to buy back all my lounge furniture, she thought, feeling the tears building. "Sophie please believe I had no idea my parents were going to say that. I would never put you in a situation like that. I'm so sorry", she believed him. "I just thought they didn't want me dating anyone. That's why I paused that day. When you asked me to meet your mom. I knew you'd have to meet my parents at some point. But then I thought about how much I loved you and I knew they'd love you too. Amy called me like two weeks back and wanted to catch up, we had dinner like three times after. It was all platonic, I promise. My parents told me that they wanted to be the main providers of medicine and medical supplies at Yěhuā Hospital Center, which Amy's parents own. It's the largest private hospital in my home city. Amy and I's marriage would solidify that my parents would be the main distributors. That's why Amy had called me. Her parents wanted her and I to start dating again but both of us didn't know that. We thought we were having dinner as old friends". Sophie was quiet. Everything made sense now. "So what are you doing to do now, Lee? Go against your parents' wishes to be with me?", she said, with tears filling her eyes. "I will sort all of this out, they can't make me do something I don't want to", he said looking in her eyes. "I don't want to make you choose", she said looking down. "You're not making me choose, there's nothing to choose. I love you, I want to be with you, that's it. I'll sort everything out, okay? Trust me". They spent the rest of the afternoon in each other's arms.

A month passed and Lee had become busier with work and fighting with his parents. He was looking tired and drained. It broke Sophie's heart seeing him like that. "They said I have this week to change my mind and marry Amy. The deal must be finalized by Friday and I'm the finalizer, I guess. I don't think they'll ever talk to me after this", he said completely weak and sad. Sophie's heart broke. "Lee". "Hey, hey, don't cry. I know you're right for me. I don't regret anything. Don't worry about it. I love you.", he said, falling asleep. Sophie couldn't sleep. Her heart was broken and she knew what she had to do.

In the morning, Lee woke to see Sophie wasn't there. It was weird because he always woke up earlier than her. He went to the kitchen to make himself coffee and was met with an envelope on the counter:

My dearest Lee


I don't even know where to begin, but the past 8 months have been the best in my life. You woke up something in me that I thought I never thought existed. I love you more than anything, which makes what I'm going to say even more difficult. I'm leaving you. I have to. Seeing you the past month has been heartbreaking for me. I know you love me and would do anything for me. Because of that, I have to leave you. I know you love your family. I could never let you choose me, instead of them. That wouldn't feel right to me and even if you did, in time, you would resent me. Or expect me to fill the void, or something. Eventually, we would break up and I'd have the support of my mom and friends and you'd be all alone. Because of me. I could never live the guilt. This is why you should do as your parents wish. I know it seems forced now, but you loved Amy once, you could again. This would make your parents happy and I know that that would make you happy too.


Please don't contact me. Please don't contact my friends or mother. I know this will be hard but please Lee, for me. Please.


Love you, always

Sophie.

Lee broke down, there and then.

That Friday, Sophie drove to Rosewood. Being at the cabin was comforting to her. After she told her mom and friends about the breakup, she'd cried all week. Morning, day and night. She knew Lee would do the right thing and she didn't want to be in the city when it happened. Later that night, she went up to the roof of the cabin with a bottle of Chardonnay, she had already drank half of it. The sky was filled with stars, like the night she was up there with Lee. Her phone buzzed with a notification, ChenPharma and Yěhuā Hospital Center heirs, Lee Chen and Amy Yang, Announce Their Engagement. Hot tears filled her eyes, totally devastated. The moon was reflecting off the lake. That somehow made her cry harder.

November 20, 2020 12:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Anne Potter
00:55 Nov 26, 2020

This was a good read, so thank you. I really felt Sophie's pain and ultimate devotion. Just had a couple notes - This confused me and I'm thinking perhaps the wrong name was used: ""Something's fishy about Andrew and we have to get to the bottom of it", Andrew said once Sophie left." Also I think in general the dialogue might need a little cleaning up in terms of punctuation and formatting, just to give the reader a better sense of who is saying what and to break the eye up a little. Nice story once again :)

Reply

Mello Timothy
18:08 Nov 26, 2020

Thank you so much for your pointers. I will definitely use them going forward. I did use the wrong name, meant to say Lee. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm glad you enjoyed the story

Reply

Anne Potter
23:44 Nov 26, 2020

I really did :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.