0 comments

Fiction

5/15/2024

Dear Andrew,

               I wanted to start off by saying thank you, I know I more pressured you into helping, but it was important that you tell me what you knew. Your well regarded for your expertise which is why I sought you out. Andrew Jones, the private investigator who helped reunite a father and daughter who had been separated for years. I must admit I was hesitant at first because they also said you weren’t reliable, That I was wasting my time by evening hiring you and that you were a lost cause. But I don’t think that at all someone can make one mistake and that doesn’t alter who they are, only makes them more human, more infallible like the rest of us.

Sorry about that, I went off on a bit of a tangent there. I can get lost in my own thoughts sometimes it’s amazing I ever find my way out again after. Before I get sidetracked again, I wanted to say how important this is to me and I’m glad to have the cities best man on the case. And yes, a locket might not be as important as a father and daughter brought back together after years of separation. But this locket is important and you’re the only one that can help me.

Sincerely,

Harriet

5/16/2024

Dear Harriet,

               I write this thank you letter somewhat begrudgingly but with some sincerity I do mean it also. You see since that time when I brought back that father and daughter together things have not been the best for me. You see after that case I was tasked with finding a lost boy and when I thought I had tracked him down. I was too late and well safe to say I wasn’t trusted with a case ever since. No one in the city ever came near me again for anything, not even for help lifting a sofa into a truck. How down can a guy get if they don’t even want my help for such simple tasks as moving a piece of furniture. Of course I didn’t come to your aid willingly, you have a way with words ma’am that I feel you missed your true calling.

You should be rallying the forces of middle earth to attack Mordor's Black Gate, yes, I have read a book. It’s the one past time I enjoy since I haven’t been asked to do anything in years and what else is there to do with one’s time. So, one last time I wish to thank you for giving me a purpose again.

Sincerely,

Andrew Jones – Private Investigator

5/22/2024

Dear Andrew,

               Thank you again for invaluable assistance in searching for my mother’s locket, it is taking longer than I expected but then again, I have never had been through something like this and its all new to me and despite your insistence I stay home for this, I can’t help but be fascinated by the process. The idea of following an investigator on his job asking questions, following leads. It adds to the experience like I’m living out a crime drama series and even if the stakes are high, it’s still thrilling none the less. When I saw you today asking that pawn shop owner for any clue, I could see a certain fire in your eyes, that spark of life that was sorely lacking the day we met.

It was like you were becoming invested in finding that locket my mother had left me. Perhaps you have felt that same level of connection to a loved one that you can understand what its like. And there is certainly something to say about a man who has gained his will to live again. It’s exciting to watch, I feel bad for admitting this, but I hope we don’t find the locket, at least not soon that you go back to that sedentary life you were living when I first met you.

Sincerely,

Harriet

5/23/2024

Dear Harriet

               I must really thank you for that stunning display today at Dan’s Auto Shop and you sure surprised the hell out of me. In my experience as a private investigator, I encounter so few people that can handle their own in a tough situation. That mechanic must have weighed in close to 250lbs and you did not falter one bit when he tried to intimidate you. And then just stood up to him and used your cunning to outwit the man and that earns some points in my book. In the past whenever, someone tried to tag along in my investigations, and they did what you did. Well on those occasions an ambulance was always called to the scene. I have never seen a big guy like Dan ever back down to even the toughest men.

You must have struck him in just the right way that no one else could, maybe some maternal instinct or something that I can’t quite explain. Something that we all share deep down, that connection to our mothers that is unlike anything in this universe. Anyway I’m starting a ramble now and so I should end this letter by saying thank you for surprising me and I hope to see more of that in the future.

Sincerely,

Andrew Jones – Private Investigator

5/24/2024

Dear Andrew,

               I really have to thank you for what you did for me the other day. My family can be a real pain sometimes and they all think I’m crazy for trying so hard to find this locket and that I hire you of all people to aid in that quest. I always felt that people just need someone to believe in them and give them a chance to prove themselves. And when they cornered us outside the diner for a little break. My father told me it was a lost cause, and I was chasing phantoms with this pursuit.

And then you stepped in front of him to defend me and against him and even the others backed up when you gave that impressive stare of yours that you use to intimidate someone twice your size. I know this is crazy and there are sometimes I think I’m overreacting to the loss of the locket but inside is the last photo of my mother and if I could have that again I could feel her close to me for the first time in ages. And I know we are getting close to finding it and I wouldn’t have made it this far without your help. So thank you again for sticking with me on this little crusade of mine.

Sincerely,

Harriet

5/26/2024

Dear Harriet,

               If anyone told me a month ago, I’d be feeling like my old self again the way I did when I got my first case in 2016, I would tell them they were delusional. But now I have a renewed interest in life and that is all thanks to you and your locket. And above all I am thankful that for all my faults you have accepted me as more than just an investigator but as a friend. This past week has been full of surprises and a few roadblocks, but you are still here with me and by my side when all the others have given up on me. I can’t begin to relay into words how much that means to me.

Perhaps after this whole thing is over then I could invite you out for a cup of coffee or a movie. Maybe even that singer you keep going on about what’s her name, Lashley, Rashly, Ashlee, that’s it, Ashlee Kitt. I remember now you even played a few of her songs in the car and don’t tell anyone but I kinda liked them.  Well tomorrow we follow our final lead and get you that locket.

Sincerely,

Andrew Jones – Private Investigator

5/27/2024

Dear Andrew,

               I can’t begin to thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me these past couple of weeks. To have that locket back in my hands after all these years I can hardly believe it’s real and I feel myself tearing up. And while I am thanking you, I also want to apologize for that sudden burst of emotion and um well kissed you. I don’t know what came over me I just, well yeah you know how it can be when you get a rush of emotions like that.

Is it getting warm in here or is just me, I’ll have to check the thermostat after I’m finished here. And despite my outburst you invited me out to dinner, I’m sure I would scared you off with that display of affection but you did not hate me at all for it and well I look forward to this dinner and it will be nice to have a nice fancy dinner instead of all those times at fast food joints while on that quest.

Sincerely,

Harriet

5/27/2024

Dear Harriet,

               That was a very interesting way of thanking me the other day and well since we finished our business deal, I wanted to take you out to dinner, and I even got you the latest album by Ashlee Kitt. The way your eyes lit up when you got it, I could not feel any happier than I did just then. This is rather bold of me to say but I want to keep seeing you even after today. You brought me back from a place I never thought I’d get out of, and I don’t want to go back and so here I build up the courage to ask you out again for an actual date. And when you said yes, I could not believe what I was hearing, but I suppose we built up a real connection and grown a lot closer to each other and now I’m on a new adventure all thanks to you. Sometimes it only takes one person to turn your life around and you did that for me, and I will be eternally thankful for that.

Yours Truly,

Andrew Jones.

August 02, 2024 20:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.