3 comments

African American Creative Nonfiction

                                 Improving Our World

“Hi, Lucy, have you ever thought about how we could better the world?”

“I think about it once in a while, but I can’t do it alone,” said Portia. “But what do you think we could do?”

“One of the things I thought of was planting a tree,” Portia told her.

“That can be done. It’s easy and I love trees. We should get all our neighbour friends together and talk about the things we can do to better our community.”

“That’s  a good idea, because I know there has to be many ways we can make our world better.” Lucy added.

“Come over tomorrow morning and help me make some unbaked cookies, sandwiches and drinks. Tonight we should call around and see who would like to help us,” Portia suggested.

“Okay, I ‘ll call my friends and you call yours.”

“Tell them we are having snacks and the reason we want them to come is to help us to understand how we can better our world.”

The neighbors were more than excited and thought that was a great Idea. So when the next day came round Portia’s and Lucy’s friend walked into Portia’s house.

“Well, hello, come right in.” Portia told them. “Take a seat. We have plenty to talk about.”

“Yes, I can’t wait,” said Joyce. “I know what can be done to help improve our community.”

“Keep it to yourself for now. What would you all like to drink?” Portia asked changing the subject.

There were about 10 people there and Portia could hardly wait to find out what they all thought on how to make our world better.

After Portia served everyone a drink she sat down. “Who wants to be first?”

“I will,” said Joyce, then added, “I think we should all volunteer to clean up in our community.”

“Yes,” I agree, Lucy remarked. 

“I know something else we could do,” said Emma. “Use long-lasting light bulbs.”

“That’s a good one. I guess I have a few bulbs to change here.” They all laughed.

“Using less water is also another way to improve our world.” Mindy told them.

“Yes,” they all agreed. “But I think when you further your own education, you can help others understand the importance and value of our natural resources.”

“That’s true Mary. You have a point.”

“We can also learn how to make smart seafood choices at www.fishwatch.gov.” Kerry stated.

“That’s true and you cook that kind of food a lot.” Lucy told her.

“I have one,” shouted Linda.  “Buy less plastic and bring a reusable shopping bag.”

They all shook their heads, yes.

“I have a better one yet,” said Rose. “Choose non-toxic chemicals in the home and office. I used to use all that stuff and now I don’t.”

“We have to live and learn, don’t we Rose?” said Portia.

“That’s for sure,” answered Rose,” 'cause look what it did to my hands.”

“Oh dear, What did you use anyway?” asked Lucy.

“Oh, chemicals that I liked the smell of. I paid for it.”

“Too bad,” they all said.

There's one we should all do,” Lindsey mentioned, “Try not to drive your car so much, either ride a bick, or walk.”

“Keep the beaches clean, so it will be a safe place to swim,” Lucy replied.

“I think if you see someone dirtying the shorelines it should be reported.” Portia demanded.

They all agreed. 

Then Portia added, “I think one day we will be running our cars on something other than gas.”

“I do too,” said Lucy. “It’s coming to that. Well, folks, we have done a good job by naming what we can do to improve our community. Let’s have lunch and try to think of more.” 

After lunch they begin again.

“Okay,” said Rose, “I think we should donate to clean water charities.”

“Yes, I donated to it last week,” said Portia.

“I think there is too much paper being used,” Linda addressed.

“Yes, and we should reduce, reuse, and recycle. Cut down on what you throw away,” said Mindy.

“I think whether you have kids in school or not we should volunteer when we can in local schools,” Lucy remarked, as she sipped on another cup of coffee.

“When we see some homeless man on the street we should realize they are human too. That’s when we are recognizing the humanity of other people, and respect their dignity. Your greeting could bring healing to his heart, and help heal the world one person at a time. Treat people as equals no matter how you feel. Maybe buy them a coffee.”

“We should try to encourage others to help join in and it sure would improve where we live. Then you will see your friends supporting and leaning on each other, and this is how bonds get formed between members. Your mission is a short, to-the-point statement that defines your purpose, values and shared goals.”

“That’s right Portia. I agree 100%.” said Lucy and the rest. Then she added, “It's easy to be selfish with your time, money, and resources by getting caught up in our material-driven societal expectations. Try being generous and see how your life changes.” Lucy encouraged them. “Then ask yourself what all can I do, not just you alone, but the rest ask yourself what all can you do? Is there something you are leaving out? Then find out what your niche is and work on it. See who is more involved in their work of keeping our community the way it should be.”

“I also make up a group for each of you and once these groups understand how their community will change they will start to care and work to improve it,” Portia told them as they all looked on. “Any question? Okay, so support anything that will help make our community a better place to live in, and don’t forget to also teach your kids at home because this is where it starts and we will have a better world as well as a better community.

September 12, 2021 14:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jeanette Harris
02:57 Sep 30, 2021

I have to say you have lots of difference of opinion there, great ideal tho I like to see some action, of some sort

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike Siver
17:10 Sep 24, 2021

The concept is great, would the group be more focused by breaking into smaller groups and each pick a change each group could focus on?

Reply

Eunice Amero
18:08 Sep 24, 2021

what does that mean?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.