0 comments

General

In the  beginning

Mr and mrs fred Iloegbu was born in Enugu state in eastern part of Nigeria known as Biafran region. when they got married in the middle seventies ,heaven blessed them with six beautiful babies ,three boys and two girls.mr Iloegbu  just as all the Biafrans from that state were namely farmers. Who live off their lands. Eventhough their stomach were usually full of starch and carbonhydrate, their pocket were usually empty. Because Mr Fred Ilogbu was ignorant of the importance of education in the life of his children, none of three-six siblings. He nicked named himself Prince and made it known to everyone that knows him that henceforth that he should be addressed as prince walter Iloegbu A.K.A Igirigi. He left school when he was inform five at age of sixteen, due to lack of funds for school fee and school being government establishment Mr Iloegbu could not pay fees for his children with plenty of you that is going to waste his barns. Prince walter Iloegbu was determined that even if his stomach is empty, his pocket will not be he told his father that he wants to apprentice for one man in his village that his work was logging timbers in their neighboring state of Benua State. His father took him to the man one evening the man returned to their village for burial ceremony. After telling the man the reason behind their visit the man agreed to take him to his base in Benua. After reaching agreement with the man that their agreement will be signed when he returned on another visit but prince walter Iloagbu made it known to the man that they should sign the agreement on a sheet of paper there that they don’t need a lawyer. That he could not wait for another one or two months when the man will return on another visit all of them agreed that it is good that way. The agreement was signed and prince walter will have to serve his master for six years before being settled to start his own business. After two more days, they set out from their village in march of the same year to Benua and got to their destination without any hassles.

Cutting trees

In the logging business the people organized themselves in such a way to ensure maximum efficiency. So, there are division of labour. Some, their work was cooking food for everybody in the camp, some, it is washing of clothes of all the main workers, some theirs is to make sure that their lodge is well looked after in terms of cleanness. Cleaning of the inside lodge  and cutting of grasses outside lodge.some, theirs is delivery duty. The rest were the real workers that goes into forest to cut down trees when Prince walter Iloegbu A.K.A “ Igirigi” was taking to the camp on getting to Benua he was assigned to the cooking department, at first, he did not understand how things works there so, he did not complain but after staying back at the lodge for three days and observing the real workers woke up early and left for work, he started raising his displeasure to his fellows cooks, and was told that according the law there, as a new comer, he is required to work in the camp for atlest a year before being drafted into the group of the real workers that goes to the forest. Or delivery group that takes the cooked food to the real workers at the forest and observe them eat and work and pick up valuable lessons that will help when they finally join the logging group. Prince walter is ambitious. He  has his own plans that cooking food in the lodge was not part of it. He came to Benua State with plan of living his pocket with gold, but after staying a year in the camp and listening to his co-workers talk about their family and friends, his own plans automatically changed from filling his pockets with money to travelling abroad to see the world and experience other cultures. Three years later, now having been drafted into the group of main workers the previous year he went to his master one evening to tell him that he will like to travel abroad for further education. His master reminded him that their agreement was for six years and not three. After hours of hassling they reached agreement that they will travel back to their home town and agreement will be terminated in the presence of his father and he will be given twenty percent of what would have come to him had he completed the six years they agreed upon in the contract. Prince walter was given twenty percent of what was due to him, he added to it with the ones he got from illegal dealings in the forest, got the necessary papers he needed for the journey and got ready to travel.

Malaysia

On 25th of November, Prince walter Iloegbu Landed in Malaysa as a student and even from the airport, he began to notice immediately that even the air he breaths is not the same thing with the one in his home town. Not only that the air, is not the same, people, culture, religion and understanding is totally different. At the beginning, he has an easy time for about six months. When his resources started running low and he has not been able to land any job due to language barrier and culture difference, he decided to do some thing about that. He started frequenting night clubs looking for sugar mummys for that was how other Africans he met told him they survive. Sex for money, shelter and papers. After one year of living his life like that, he met an African man that told him that if he can take a drug to china, that he will be rewarded handsomely in dollars. He told him that all those Africans he sees living very well were into the same business. He agreed and was told the does and don’ts of the trade. He was given one kg of cocaine to deliver to a man without name in hotel in china. On his arrival at the airport in china, he was captured and taken to detention house where he spent nine months without outside communication. he was later handed fifteen years sentence and shifted to prison.

         Prison life

In prison, prince walter Iloegbu has acquired another trait from detention house. His slogan’ has changed from “time waits for no man” to “God’s time is the best” he was no longer rushing to do anything, he was known by officers and fellow inmates as one who lack behind in everything he does, both in walking, working,waking, preparing food and even in eating the food. After one month of being taught rules and regulations, marching and singing, he was sent along side his fellow new comers to join the old inmates in doing all that they do. He was assigned to keep the shower room clean and told that it must be washed totally atlest once in a month. Whenever it is time to wash the shower room, prince walter will spent about two and half hour washing the place that will take another person thirty minute to do, thereby causing quarrel among his fellow inmates. When it is time for all inmates to gather in the communal room for news, prince walter will be the last person to be there, when it is time to go to the dinning hall for meal and officer called for inmates to gathers, everyone will be there in the formation for good three to five minutes outside waiting for prince walter to come out from the dormitory in summer and winter. When it is time to go to the factory  both the inmate and officers will be in the formation outside waiting for one man. Prince walter Iloegbu A.K.A “Igirigi”.

July 09, 2020 14:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.