2 comments

General

Driving me wild


"Can you keep a secret?" A classmate asked Nina once class ended.


She looked to both her sides and, finding nothing, went back to packing her notebooks and pens.


Someone kicked her shin. "Psht, behind you."


Nina turned around and saw one of her classmates –her name began from S, maybe Sushi– leaning slightly forward. "Can you keep a secret?" She asked again.


Nina blinked. Huh, so she hadn't imagined that. "It depends. Have you got a secret?"


"Why would I ask you that if I had a secret? There would be no reason, of course!" The girl replied. What's her name again?


Nina glanced around and realised most of the class had left. It was the last class of the day, so of course they would be excited to go home. She wondered what would be for lunch today, her mother had seemed to be in a good mood….


A snap of fingers brought her back to the present. "Oi, are you listening to me?"


"Ah, yes, what's your name?" Nina asked.


She looked to be rather bewildered. "My name? You don't know my name? I mean, of course you don't, what was I thinking….. I am Susan, it's a pleasure to meet you." Susan put her hand out.


Nina stared at it for a while, wondering what to do with it, till she remembered this was supposed to be a handshake. Hurriedly, she shook hands with Susan, her eyebrows furrowed. She had not known teenagers still did this thing. "Nina," she said.


Susan waved her hands. "Yes, yes, I know who you are, let us not waste time with introductions, it's already quite late. Say, you don't have a ride, do you?"


Nina nodded, once she remembered it was a Thursday and thus, she would have to walk home.


Susan grinned. "Perfect," she said, and proceeded to go out of the classroom. "I can take you home, if you want."


"Yeah, all right, thanks," Nina replied, and followed her. Too many surprising things were happening today, weren't they?


So they walked to the parking lot, completely silent, when Susan stopped in front of the last cars, a frankly hideous yellow old car. "This is my car. Quick, get in, I need to tell you something."


Nina obeyed, and soon enough, they were inside, ready to go on an epic adventure and win flower crowns for their accomplishments. Or maybe that was just Nina's mind. Nevertheless, once the car started, silence was not their friend any longer.


"I want to let you in on a little secret," Susan said, and she was almost bouncing on the car seat, her excitement showing clearly. "Do you promise not to tell anyone?"


Nina felt compelled to point out she had just said there was no secret she had, but shut her mouth, knowing people didn't like to acknowledge their mistakes, and anyway, she was a little curious. "Okay," she answered.


Susan pressed on. "Do you swear to secrecy?"


"Yes."


Susan raised an eyebrow. Perhaps she was surprised? "That's good. Okay, so listen, yesterday I went to a park, that one just behind the new fancy hotel, and there was a cute little bunny, all soaked up due to rain, and how can anybody just let him be there?"


Nina prepared to reply, but it seemed that was not necessary, for Susan just honked the car in delight, startling both of them, and continued, "I certainly can't. He was so cute, oh my God, and I brought him to my home. But he refused to stay away from me and it is impossible to refuse him and also I did not tell anyone else so I brought him here. Would you like to see him?"


Susan turned to her, eyes wide and lips curved into the biggest smile Nina had ever seen on her. In the face of such knowledge, Nina couldn't resist. "Yes, I would like that."


Susan beamed even wider, and went towards the back of the car, only to return with a large bag. Belatedly, Nina realised the car had stopped. When did this happen?


Pretty soon, Susan let the rabbit hop out of the bag, and dropped it somewhere. She put him in her lap and cooed, "His name is Oreo. Isn't he adorable? Tell me, Nina, what do you think?"


Nina opened her mouth, and then promptly closed it. She could think of numerous adjectives, but she felt none of them were suitable for this animal. In the end, she settled for, "He is lovely. Is he wild?"


Susan frowned slightly. Looking up from scratching the rabbit's ears, she answered, "Yeah, probably."


Nina gazed at the marvellous white ball, wondering if she was allowed to touch him. She reached out a tentative hand towards him, and got to feel soft fur. She pulled back her hand, and stared at it. She had never seen a rabbit before. It was wonderful.


When she looked up, she saw Susan staring at her. "Do you want to hold him?" She inquired, picking up the rabbit and placing him in Nina's lap.


Nina happily scratched his ears, and pet his head. The car had started now, she realised. Then, an important question came to her. "Do you know where I live?"


"Oh! Sorry," Susan laughed, a little embarrassed, a little breathless. "We actually live in the same neighbourhood. I thought I'd ask you once we reached the street."


"We do? I don't think I have ever seen you." Nina's face scrunched up. How did she miss this?


"That's probably cause I leave early and reach late. Nevermind that though, now you know where I lived." Susan glanced at her and gave a small smile.


They settled into silence once more, leaving Nina to stare outside the window. She honestly didn't understand why people disliked quietness. It gave people plenty of time to think, especially about what the other said. And if they grew too uncomfortable, they could always make a passing remark about the weather.


Nina realised another important question once they began to enter familiar area. "Why did I get to be the recipient of this secret?"


"Hmm? I don't really know, I guess it's because you sat close to me. Does it really matter?"


Nina shook her head. It didn't, in the end. She then gave the directions for her house, and they finally reached. "Thank you for the ride, and for trusting me to show the rabbit." She said with a small nod, opening the door and getting outside.


Susan exclaimed, "Wait!" And her voice was a bit hesitant here. "Um… Would you like to see Oreo again?


Nina curved her lips into a small smile, and replied, "I would be glad. Tell me when you bring him tomorrow."


"Sure, bye." Then Susan was off with the car, and Nina was left to go home.


It was a wonderful day indeed.

August 21, 2020 14:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Brittany Gillen
12:48 Aug 25, 2020

Isaia - Thank you for sharing your story. You answered the prompt, and the secret bunny was an adorable idea. Susan is a great character - both pushy and kind. My only feedback would be on Nina. It was unclear why she was always so out-of-touch with what is going on around her. She can’t find the voice, doesn’t recognize the girl who lives on her street, doesn’t realize the car stops, etc. Is she worried about something else? What causes this disconnect? It might help to develop her character to know the reason. Keep writing!

Reply

Isaia Mellers
14:34 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you for reading this story, and for such a kind comment. I am glad you liked the bunny and Susan. As for Nina, I had planned for her to go through a traumatic experience, and become a little insensitive to things that do not primarily concern her or are strange. Other than start, she was also going to be a little slow— somewhere on the autism spectrum, if you will. I apologize that I could not show that properly, I will try to do better in the future. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.