One-Sided Affair

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

12 comments

General

Ama, a very smart and attractive young lady—breathtakingly endowed, gets quite a number of heads turning when walking down the street.


Ama and Kofi's friendship started by studying together as classmates.

Kofi's natural inclination towards well-endowed women makes his closeness to Ama less surprising.


He never became her friend with the intention of watching her hips swing him into craziness for more times in the week than he cares to count … but the issue is, Ama goes over to his place almost every day of the week for their study sessions, which becomes long hours of intimate conversations.

Whenever Ama gets up to go grab something from the fridge, Kofi’s eyes—as if with brains of their own—turn to see the beauty catwalk.

They’ve gotten to know each other long enough, at least He knows Ama really likes him, but he’s never really imagined being more than friends with her—Well, till now.


Ama hasn’t said anything that doesn’t fuel the strong feelings he’s starting to develop for her. He actually thinks Ama likes him in this same vein; why else would she be so close? Why else would she tell him the things she does? Why else would she quiz him about any girl she sees him with?

Last Tuesday, she even had him delete a picture of some lady friend of his he had posted on his Facebook page.


Kofi doesn’t want to rush anything, he values their friendship so much, but now he cannot deny Ama is everything he desires in a woman.

He loves how she feels so wild and free around him—That time in class when Ama sat on his laps when the guys were laughing and calling them, “Couple of the year” was forever etched in his memory.

He knows Ama trusts him completely, and he is well aware he would never do anything to hurt her. 


Kofi tries so hard to forget the afternoon he had a power outage when Ama was in his room. She took her shirt off, leaving a light black transparent blouse, the room had become warm and she couldn't bear the heat.

To him, that equated to being half-naked, for the assets in her chest area were even more conspicuous.


Kofi made up a couple of excuses for her in his head, considering she had done that following her incessant complaints about how she was sweating profusely—they both were.

But for her to do that around him? He honestly didn’t know how to handle that.

Was she that comfortable around him? Wasn’t that a cue for him that he was the prospective “one” for her?


On several occasions, Kofi would try to find a smart way to tell Ama how beautiful she was in his sight, and how he really liked her; Ama would totally laugh it off and tell him to stop joking so they could get back to their studies.

Kofi knows all about Ama, and one of the times he dislikes the most is when she jokingly narrates the tale of when a guy tried to hit on her.

Sometimes, she would pass a remark like, “they are not as fine as my Kofi”.


They had come to know each other for a number of years. He had been to her house severally and was on very good terms with her parents. He had completely won over the hearts of her little siblings.

The opposite was true; his mum never stopped talking about Ama and her resourcefulness.


Kofi finally decides to man up and plainly tell Ama all he feels about her. When he tried during their phone chats, Ama would always laugh it off with emojis and memes. She was not taking this seriously.

So Kofi, during one of their study sessions, tells her in even more detail, that he wants more with her than what they already were, he wants him as his girlfriend.

The look on Ama’s face gives her away, she finally knows the guy has been dead serious. She looks like she’d just been hit by a tsunami.


Ama suddenly grows quiet, and says nothing the entire evening, Kofi escorts her home as usual, but this time, he doesn’t get the goodnight hugs he always gets from her before he heads back home, those hugs he always looked forward to and cherished.

As soon as they get to her house, Ama emotionlessly says goodbye and goes inside without another word.

Kofi is a really confused man at this point.


Three weeks fly by; he can now safely assume Ama is avoiding him.

He sees her in School every time, but she does really well to keep solid distance between them.

He still stands where he always waited to walk her home after Church services, Ama never shows up.

He had called her severally, and she somehow was always busy and found a way to end the conversation before it even began.


Kofi has no clue what in the world was going on.

The way their chats went had totally taken a nosedive; when he texted her on WhatsApp, she would give him really straight answers.

He could type an entire paragraph, and after waiting an eternity after the blue tick, would see her respond, “OK”.

This was so unlike Ama. It was more than obvious they had grown so much apart these past few weeks.


Kofi’s birthday is just two days away, and this time, he is everything but a happy man.

He checks her status updates almost every minute because for all the years they had been close, Ama would by this time be flooding her status updates with his finest of pictures - pictures of them together - and would totally be making really funny jokes about some of his childhood pictures she had discovered.


Tomorrow is going to be his birthday … Ama still updates her WhatsApp statuses, but he hasn’t noticed even a single picture of himself, with the appraisals and accolades he expected would accompany each one. 

Last year, he had felt so lightheaded as Ama “blew up” all of her social media handles with his pictures, showering him with comments like, “my personal person … boo … my Go-To-darling … my handbag … hun …” and others that had made his soul glad.


This year. nothing.

Not a word, not a call, not a text, nothing.


The only reason he hasn’t been to her place is just that he thinks she needs time to think over and give an answer to his proposal.

The day arrives—he is wide awake by 12am—gets calls from a couple of friends wishing him all the best … none from Ama. This is weird.


Akosua, that girl who has been throwing all sorts of advances at him for months, calls at 1:30 am, he doesn’t pick up.

He sees a WhatsApp notification, Akosua had sent a book-length message making sure to incorporate all sorts of sweet words and ‘hearts, kiss and hug’ emojis. He had hundreds of unread messages.

People are using him as their display pictures.

He checks Ama’s … nothing.

He checks her status; the only thing there was the song she had uploaded the day before.

He is drenched deep in thought. Actually, he doesn’t even know what to think.

He is unable to blink a wink the entire night.


Morning comes, he opens his phone to check his messages, he sees their class page flooded with messages of love and admiration. He looks out for one particular message, he sees it, but almost faints.

At 8:08am, Ama had sent a message on the class page, “Happy birthday bro … wish you all the best ..“, and added one cake emoji.

Kofi used to be a confused man … now he was devastated.

Bro? What? How?


He somehow survives the day. The next evening, he heads over to her house, Ama’s kid siblings are playing outside, they run and throw themselves on him as soon as they notice him walking down the street.

He walks into the house with the happy kids.

He is informed their parents aren’t home, but Ama is in her room, he just knocks twice, and walks in. That was their custom.

Ama doesn’t look so pleased to see him, she looks rather sad and irritated at the same time.

Kofi starts talking, he pours out his heart.

He begs her to forgive him if he’d wronged her in any way.


Ama finally ends her silence ... all Kofi heard were literally inaudible to him—the shock left him completely speechless and blank.


Kofi walks out and amidst tears shuts the door behind him, knowing their friendship will never be the same again.

July 14, 2020 10:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Eleasa Ican
10:30 Jul 20, 2020

I love this story📖 I was so into it, I started picturing myself as Ama 😂

Reply

18:15 Jul 20, 2020

I'm sorry for Kofi ... Whoever fits that character in your life! 😂😂😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
14:01 Jul 15, 2020

Aww, I loved this story so so much, Daniel. You've described everything so well. And the ending was quite on point too. Congrats on your first submission👍

Reply

15:50 Jul 15, 2020

Thanks so much, Hussain. I hope to learn so much from you guys.

Reply

Batool Hussain
16:42 Jul 15, 2020

You're welcome! And, btw my first name is Batool:) Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

18:15 Jul 15, 2020

Thanks 🙂🙂. Nice to meet you, Batoo. I look forward to learning from you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Olly Vielo
22:54 Jul 14, 2020

Great Story. It's interesting how two people that close can view each other in different ways.

Reply

05:09 Jul 15, 2020

Very interesting 😃. Assumptions can really mess things up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kwaku Nti-Boakye
18:27 Jul 14, 2020

It's quite sad😔😔

Reply

19:02 Jul 14, 2020

I know right 😔😔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
JuliAna Adusei
15:24 Jul 14, 2020

Wow! I never saw Ama's reaction coming. Poor Kofi😿

Reply

18:16 Jul 14, 2020

Haha ... Dude got shocked out of his socks! 😄😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.