The Secret Full Moon Ritual

Written in response to: Start your story during a full moon night.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary LGBTQ+ Urban Fantasy

The full moon cast an ethereal glow upon the dense woods, bathing the ancient trees in a shimmering, silver light. The air was thick with mystical energy as if the very essence of nature was stirring in anticipation. The atmosphere created an increasing sense of contentment within Sarah's heart.

Sarah was a curious and adventurous soul. On this night, she found herself drawn into a secret world that many never even knew existed. It was a world that she'd only heard about and was depicted in the kind of fairy tales she'd read as an impressionable teenager.

As it was, she'd been fascinated by the mysteries that the Universe holds. The allure of the full moon, especiallay a supermoon, had always captivated her mind. As each full moon came and went, Sarah felt the moon's energy whispered to her very soul. At the moment, it was beckoning her to continue walking through the dense, dark forest.

This night, though, she'd decided to venture much deeper into the heart of the forest tthan she and her friends had ever gone. Much of her life, she'd heard the rumors about some full moon ritual that was said to take place every lunar cycle. Some were scary stories, while others made the ritual rumor sound intriguing.

As time went on, she'd become more and more curious about what actrually happened during those full moon ceremonies. The rumor made the event sound as if there was some kind of black magic ritual performed. She, herself, didn't believe that there was any black magic being performed. Although, she figured it could be possible.

For the last year, Sarah and her friends had debated about going to seek out this ritual. However, when the full moon would come around, her friends would decide not to as they chickened out. They were afraid of black magic as it had been seared into their minds as something sinister.

While her friends spun a scary tale about the ritual, Sarah was the strong-willed girl in her circle of friends who was ready for a challenge. Even if it were demons being summoned. Seeing that Sarah had mentioned how much she'd love to find out what goes on there, her friends dared her to find out. The catch, however, as that she'd have to go alone. Sarah was ready to go.

It was then, that Friday night, she embarked on her journey to find the ritual. Armed with a small flashlight and her unyielding curiosity, Sarah treaded cautiously through the thick underbrush of the woods. Her eyes darted around the forest from left to right, staying focused in the case that she might have to run.

Sarah noticed how the forest seemed alive with activity that surrounded her. The rustling of the leaves could be heard as the gentle wind blew through them. She could hear whisperings in her ear as though there were people, who were just out of sight in the dark forest before her. In the near distance, nocturnal animals sounded their call out into the darkness.

The bright moonlight guided her path, casting shadows upon the forest floor. Sarah was not someone who was easily spooked. Though, tonight, as she made her way through the woods, a shiver ran through her body, even though it was still warm on this summer night.

Sarah wondered why she felt anxious and sort of cautious. Maybe she was just tense from the mere thought of what she might encounter in this unknown world within the forest. Would it be some black magic stuff where demons were heard through those attending? she wonderded

Small sounds startled her a bit. She took a deep breath, and said to herself softly, 'You're strong Sarah. You're not afraid of anything, remember?' She stopped walking for a moment, stood up straight and squared her shoulders giving herself confidence to continue.

Soon in the near distance, Sarah caught glimpses of flickering light through the trees. Her heart quickened with excitement, for she knew that she was drawing closer and closer to her destination. She began walking slower so she would mae less noise with her feet as she approached the light.

As she drew nearer, the forest itself began to open up into a small clearing where an enchanting sight awaited her. She found a pine tree where she could stay hidden in the shadows, but could see evertying going on.

In the heart of the clearing, Sarah could see a circle of what looked to be ancient stones weathered by time and obsured by nature's enbrace. She could see engravings upon the stones themselves in a different language she couldn't understand.

Sarah found her interest being piqued even more. She slipped her cell phone out of her pocket and started recording the sight before her. She felt a bit apprehensive about recording because there could be a chance she'd get caught in the act of videoing the event going on before her. What would they do to her if she were seen?

Within the circle, a group of figures adorned in flowing white robes, hoods covering their faces, swayed gracefully, their movements synchronized with the rhythm of a drumbeat in the distance. The air was heavy with the scent of burning incense and wildflowers.

Sarah stood behind the tree motionless, watching the figures dance around the fire. Where was the drum that these people were dancing to coming from? she asked herself. She looked about her, peering into the darkness, but saw nothing.

Sarah's breath caught in her throat as she watched the mesmerizing spectacle that she had encountered. They chanted in a language she couldn't comprehend, their voices blending with the night breeze. Their movements seemed otherworldly as if they were connected with unseen forces in the Universe. At times, during their dance, it seemed as if they were floating inches above the ground. Sarah had to rub her eyes, thinking she was just seeing things.

As ritual reached its crescendo and a sense of reverence and power enamated from the circle. The moon, now at its zenith, bathed the entire clearing in a celestial radiance that one could only be in awe of. The figures seemed to be glowing now. Sarah felt a surge of energy flow through her body, penetrating her very being.

Putting her cell phone back into her pocket, she was no longer able to resist the pulling of an invisible force. Sarah steppped forward out of the shadows. As her feet crossed the threshold of the ancient stones, the figures suddenly turned to face her, their eyes shining with both wisdom and familiarity. Who were these people? Why did she feel as if she knew them already? Were they from this town?

One came forward and took her hand, leading her into the circle with them. Time seemed to stand still as Sarah become one with drumbeat and swaying gracefully as she kept pace with the others. She moved, feeling as though she were in complete harmony with the figures, her body guided by an inner knowing she didn't know existed.

The barriers between the physical and the spiritual world blurred, and Sarah felt as through the connection enveloped her entire being. She could feel a deep sense of acceptance and love from the figures who were dancing with her.

In that timeless moment, Sarah had gotten a much deeper understanding of the Universe and her place within it unlike she'd ever felt before. She realized how the moon was a silent witness to countless generations which seemed to be bestowing its wisdom upon her.

It was more than just some dark, evilish ritual as she'd been led to believe growing up. She was suddenly overcome by a feeling of being one with everything around her. She knew now that it was a communion of souls, dancing with the divine.

The distant drums softened their beat as the ritual started drawing to a close. The figures, one by one, dispersed going off in different directions, having their purpose fulfilled as the music drifted off into silence throughout the forest Sarah found herself alone in the clearing, still feeling rooted to the spot where she stood when the last figure disappeared into the dark forest. She couldn't move.

She began to feel her heart brimming with a great sense of gratitude and wonder. The moon, now beginning it descent, seemed to cast a much gentler glow upon the forest floor, as if bidding her a farewell. With a serene smile that spread on her lips, Sarah turned and retraced her steps through the woods.

It was then, that she knew that she'd continue to carry the memories of that extradordinary night deep within her. Always to be remembered. She was excited to be returning to her friends with a tale to tell that they might not even believe, but she had the proof.

With deep awe and reverence, she knew that she'd stumbled upon a sacred gathering; a secret world hidden in plain sight. She knew that the rumors she'd heard were quenched and proven to be false. There were no evil spirits, demons or the such that were summoned in this ritual. Instead it was a beautiful expression of love towards the Univierse, the moon and nature.

She realized, continuing to make her way towards where her friends were waiting for her, that others had been too afraid to find out the truth. They missed out on experiencing something so amazing. It was one of those unforgettable experiences that leaves an impfression on one's heart.

From that night forward, the full moon held a much deeper significance in Sarah's life. It was a clear reminder to her of the interconnectedness of all things and the mysteries that lie just beyond the veil.

As she finally emerged from the words, returning to the realm of the humdrum reality life had become, she carried with her a new profound understanding of the natural world. She made a vow to herself that she'd always honor the magic she'd witnessed there in the woods.

Sarah now carried with her a new profound understanding of the natural world. She made a vow to herself to always honor the magic she’d witnessed. She knew her life was about to change in a good way by living in harmony with the universe’s rhythms, much like the drum beat she’d heard in the distance. 

When she got back to where her friends were waiting her smile beaming, she explained to them that the rumored tales that had been spun for centuries in her town were completely false. She told them how she'd found the place where said ritual was being performed in real time.

Her friends gathered around her with a frenzy of questions that came at Sarah all at once. She then slipped her phone out of her pocket and opened the video she'd taken. While they watched, the other girls were amazed at how beautiful the ritutal was compared to what they'd believed. The group now wished that they had gone along with Sarah to witness what she had been able to see.

It certainly had been a night that she would not soon forget. For she had walked upon something that would change her peception of the world around her. A ritual that was more beautiful than anhything she could have imagined. She knew that she'd be returning to that sacred place each full moon.

July 05, 2023 14:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.