0 comments

Sad

Crying, I look up to see the face of my mom. She stares down at me with heartwarming, kind eyes.

¨ Don't let bullies take you down. Hold your head up, ok?¨

¨ Ok ¨

I say, but my voice comes out hoarse from crying so much. I was about to tell her that I will be strong for her, but then she frowns.

¨ Sweetie, go inside and tell your father to come out here. But, once you have told him, go to your room. Please.¨

I linger, confused about why I have to tell dad to come outside and then go straight to my room.

¨ Why?¨

¨ Just please go. Now.¨

¨ Ok...¨

I run inside and tell dad that mom wants him. Then I go straight to my room. I pull my curtain aside to see what was going on. But I immediately regret my decision to be nosy. I stare at my mom´ s face. Her eyes that were once kind and curious, are now cold and staring off into nothingness. My dad is bent down beside her, crying and...on the phone with someone. What is happening? A few moments later an ambulance pulls out in front of our house. No. They aren't coming here. They can't come over here. Go to our neighbor ´ s house. Go anywhere but here. I know it is horribly wrong to want that but if they come here, what does that mean...? They keep walking. Keep walking, headed straight for our home. They keep walking until they are knelt over my mom, picking her up onto stretcher. No. They check her pulse, then cover her up with a thin sheet. No. No. No. No. NO.

¨ Olivia, come downstairs with me. We need to talk.¨

I was so focused on my mom that I haden't even heard my dad come up the stairs. I swirl around so violently that my head became dizzy.

¨ Is...is it about mom?¨

It was a stupid question, I already knew it was going to be about mom but I didn't know what to say. He nods and then we head down the stairs. Tears block my sight and I almost trip a couple of times, but I hold myself up.

¨ Your mom she....she....¨

Tears begin to fall down his cheek, and I knew the end of that sentence the moment I stared into my mom´ s lifeless eyes. He meets my gaze and I nod, signaling that I knew what he was going to say. I get up, and hug my father as tight as my arms are willing to let me. It´ s just me and him now.

*************** 3 WEEKS LATER

I wake up early. It is my first day back at school since my mom....

I get ready as slow as I can, dreading to go back to school. Then I head downstairs, not wanting to make it harder on my dad.

¨ Good morning ¨

I say when I meet him in the kitchen.

¨ Morning sleepyhead ¨

*******

I hesitate in front of the school of the school doors when I feel arms circle around me. Scared, I look to see who is hugging me.

¨ Hey Lilah.¨

It´ s my BFF.

¨ Olivia, I am so sorry about what happened to your mom.¨

I smile at her then take her hand.

¨ Let´ s go inside before I change my mind.¨

She doesn't waste a second before dragging me inside and filling me in on everything that happened while I was gone. Mostly the little things. Who likes who, who fought who, etc.

¨ ...and then Mr. Clark sent him to the principle ´ s office and he was expelled.¨

¨ Wow.¨

¨ Yeah I know right!? I mean can you believe he said that?¨

¨ What?¨

¨ Were you even paying attention?¨

¨ No, sorry. I guess I zoned out.¨

She gives me a look of understanding and...pity. I roll my eyes, annoyed. But then I bump into someone.

¨ Sorry I-¨

¨ Watch where your going.¨

It´ s Vanessa. The girl who made it her life ´ s work to ruin my life. Great goals Vanessa.

¨ Oh, it´ s you. How was your vacation?¨

¨ It was...¨

¨ Not long enough ¨

For once in my life, Vanessa and I are at an agreement.

¨ Her mom died.¨

¨ Lilah, it´ s ok.¨

¨ No it´ s not. Olivia, Vanessa is a jerk who doesn't think about anyone but herself.¨

At that, Vanessa pushes Lilah to the floor.

¨ Your wrong, I just don't care about you too.¨

Her friends laugh. When did they get here?

Without thinking, I punch Vanessa right in the face. I can hear the echo of a crowd of people that were not there before, screaming,

¨ Fight! Fight! Fight!¨

Vanessa gets back up with the help of her friends and then she kicks me in the stomach.

¨ Ouch ¨

Vanessa smiles, showing her annoying straight teeth. Vanessa asked for a fight, so now she is the one who will get the wrath of all of my emotions. I sweep her leg and she falls to the ground with a thud. I jump on top of her and start punching and punching and punching her. I am pulled off of her kicking and yelling. Then I wiggle out of the person ´ s arms and run. Run until I reach my house. I walk inside and find my dad sitting on the couch, watching tv.

¨ Hello Olivia, I didn't expect you to be here so early.¨

My eyes have a mind of their own and I start balling.

My dad rushes to my side and picks me up into his arms. We stay like that for a couple of minutes until I feel a little bit better.

¨ I miss her ¨

¨ Me too. Me too.¨

¨ Ice cream?¨

He asks, and I nod.

¨ Should I be expecting any call from the principle?¨

I look down and he gives me a knowing look.

¨ Well, let´ s see what is on. Any new movies you ´ d like to see?¨

¨ Anything is fine with me.¨

My dad ruffles my hair and says,

¨ I have some good news.¨

¨ What happened?¨

¨ I got a puppy.¨

¨ Oh my gosh really!? Where is it?¨

¨ We have to pick him up at 3:00. It was supposed to be a surprise, but you came home early so we ´ ll just pick him up together.¨

I smile, finally happy again.

May 01, 2021 21:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.