6 comments

Christmas Holiday

It was one week to Christmas Judy had done most of her shopping, she should just add a few gifts to her list and is done .

She had thought about Christmas since first of October to make sure this year Christmas will be one of the best , after preparing a long list of what should be done , who should be invited, where the party should be held, how those her gifts from family and friends, when is the best time send invitation and reviewing all aspects of her Christmas party she had started shopping. 

Next week is Christmas everything is ready , Christmas tree is up , gifts are hidden in safe place till Christmas night to be put under tree , invitation already was sent , she can't stay in her skin , her family can see how excited she is and they know just like past years they will receive an amazing gift, Judy knows what everyone needs and remember what they wished for during the year .

This excitment is spreading to her family and friends they can't wait for her party , everyone who was invited put Judy's gathering in top of her list , they are looking for the best dress because knows her party is glamorous. Judy prepared everything for a nice and unforgettable night , she thought about food, drinks, candles and decorations. 

Her home looks amazing, Christmas spirit is in the air and calandar is marked with remaining days to the celebration night . Magically these days passed fast and the day after tomorrow , Christmas night is approaching , while she is sitting in her living room is admiring what she did with her home phone is ringing, she picked it up after a short conversation passes phone to her husband, she is watching her husband face is changing from happy to disappointment, Judy can't wait to know what was that call , her husband comes closer to Judy takes her hand " I am very sorry, it is an emergency I have to get back to hospital, you should spend Christmas without me " Judy doesn't know should be angry or worry for her husband, it is his job to be in hospital anytime is needed no matter when , she says is ok , do what you should do , her husband go upstairs to get ready to leave , Judy think still they are many guests are coming and her kids will be there .

That night she couldn't sleep thinking how her husband is going to spend his Christmas with patients instead of his family. The day after while she is busy with preparation for appetizers her son comes to kitchen " Mom , you are not getting angry if I tell you I can't spend Christmas with you ?" Judy leaves plates and fruits on the kitchen counter and stares at him " What are you saying Jush? " he comes close to his mom took her hand " I am so sorry, one of my friend is leaving country and this Christmas our mutual friend holding a goodbye party for him and it is on Christmas eve, I have to go , Judy has no choice except saying " it is ok , do what you should do " she thinks still they are many friends are attending. 

Today is Christmas day everything is ready from foods to table to music and drinks, she just has to dress up and wait for her friends without her son and husband but she is sure it will be a great party, around noon he phone is ringing, it is Marty , he close friend from high school, " Judy , I am so sorry we can not make it for tonight " she surprisingly asks " Who is we ?" Marty respond most of your guests, we are very very sorry, it just happened we didn't expect it , Judy asks with angry voice " What happened? " you just decided ditch me on party night ? Marty says , one of our friends is getting married on Christmas eve without any notice, they just decided to get a wedding on Christmas and we all are invited, I mean most of us except you and a few guests who don't know him , he continues I promise to make up for it later , believe me I just heard it a few minutes ago if I knew earlier, Judy interrupt him " it is ok , do what you should do " happy wedding and hung up .

She sits in the kitchen thinking what she is supposed to do with all these foods and gifts , who else remained from her list , she even doesn't know anymore who is coming or not coming. 

Around 6:00 pm one of guest shows up , Judy is too excited to see her like has not seen her for a decade, after a few hours when they are sitting on the dinner table they are three of them , Judy , her friend from work and her neighbor, they even don't know what they are supposed to do or what conversation they can initiate.

Judy tries to be a pleasant host and answer her guests questions with happy face without showing it is a lamp in her throat and is crying inside but it is impossible she could hide her disappointment, specifically when she is asked about her husband and her son but when she hears her guests have similar situations and it is main reason they are in her party not with their family she feels a bit better . She picks two gift boxes under Christmas tree and handed in to her guests. It seems her guests know they are bought for someone else but pretend are grateful for recieving a gift that was put under tree with someone else name , it is more strange after gift is opened, a wrong size shirt for a friend and a wrong secnt set of candles for neighbor, are a clear messed up gift giving tradition.

On Christmas Eve on dinner table Judy thinks they are many others are celebrating alone or by a few strangers who became their best friend in absence of their family and close friends. It is an odd 21 century Christmas party.

December 23, 2022 21:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

John K Adams
16:46 Dec 30, 2022

This is a great idea for a story. I'm sure this happens more often than anyone wants to consider. To be most effective in telling, I think you need to edit. Break up long paragraphs with dialogue in separate paragraphs. Check punctuation. This reads like a great first draft. I believe it can be so much better. The stilted dialogue of the guests who do arrive would be excruciating and could be hilarious. Great idea. Keep at it. BTW, there is a misspelling in your bio that you might want to clarify. I look forward to reading more of your st...

Reply

Sam Smith
20:30 Dec 30, 2022

Thanks for critic, however I couldn't find any misspellings in my bio .

Reply

John K Adams
23:04 Dec 30, 2022

I may be mistaken. I'm not familiar with 'immidate.' I hope my comments were taken in the best light.

Reply

Sam Smith
16:10 Dec 31, 2022

Thanks John , I am sure most of the time errors occur during prompet writing . To me what message a writer is transfering is more important than some spelling errors but I appreciate your attention.

Reply

John K Adams
17:37 Dec 31, 2022

I agree with you. I always look to the story and the author's intentions. My wife always calls me on my misplaced commas. The point is to communicate as well as possible. Rules have their purpose but are not the point. If an 'error' points to the story, and not away from it, I am all for it.

Reply

Sam Smith
21:18 Dec 31, 2022

I am glad you got to this point , I was worried with your first comment you are just looking into spelling errors. It is clear punctuality and spelling is part of writing and Writers should pay attention to them but I am sure you as a writer understand way better than readers writing is a tool to tell a story , to send a message or point an important subject rather than a perfect without error essay .Thanks for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.