0 comments

Suspense

An old abandoned warehouse bear witness to this unusual preparation. Rob had gathered all kinds of materials necessary to build it and put it inside that time capsule.

Are you sure this is gonna work? – said George with a look of disbelief on his face.

It always has, you know I’m an expert. – said rob as he adjusted a screw to just the right torque. The city mayor said that it would have to be perfect.

Yeah, I know, but you’ve never done one that could last this long. Are you sure it’s not going to spoil or anything? Fifty years is a long time after all. – George expressed lowering his tone of voice at the end of his sentence. The last thing he wanted was to make his brother angry again. He could touch the scars on his chest as a reminder to not make him angry again…ever.

Rob kept on screwing, mixing, fixing and welding. He didn’t want to lose his concentration so he decided to ignore his brother.

George kept pacing back and forth nervous and anxious for his brother to finish. All George wanted was to get this over with and go on with his life. Rob had told him that this would be the last thing he would make him do if he fully cooperated with him. This would be a true work of art Rob kept saying. George had always considered Rob’s art very unusual but he had grown up seeing his brother getting better and better at it.

What time is it? – asked rob without even lifting his eyes to look at the clock they had brought.

We have three hours left – George answered clearing his throat.

Rob smiled and relaxed a little. He had gotten better at this and every time he made one he had more and more time left. He didn’t want to rush on this one which he truly considered his masterpiece. He specially had special care on this one since the city mayor had requested his work. The mayor had always been an avid fan and he intended this one as a present for his nephew. He would put it in the time capsule and he would do all in his power to guide him towards the same career he had taken. All this, just to give him this surprise.

Rob was really encouraged by all this meticulous planning and decided to accept the mayor’s offer. Although he felt a little sad since he knew based on his age, that he probably would not be able to see the result of his work. He’d been really proud of the reactions his work had always caused. Gasps, pictures, and even tears.

Rob decided it was time for a break and sat down on the nearest chair lighting a cigarette.

What do you plan on doing when we deliver this to the mayor – asked Rob at the same time he inhaled the smoke, letting it out as he finished his sentence.

Well, I plan to live a normal life and maybe even move to another town. You’ve never given me any credit for any of your work so, I guess I’ve gone unnoticed all these years. – George replied with a hint of sadness and relief at the same time in his voice.

It was for your own good little brother, fame is not such a good friend – Rob said doing the same thing with the smoke – Fame is not such a good friend – he said again but this time more to himself than to his brother.

Rob put out his cigarette halfway and then he went back to work for an hour. IT’S DONE! – Rob shouted in excitement – it’s finally done. He carefully put it in a box the mayor had provided him giving him instructions that it had to comply with those dimensions in order to fit into the time capsule. They got into George’s car and drove all the way to city hall, leaving the warehouse with no trace they were ever there. They were let into city hall after a quick call to the mayor and an argument with the people guarding the door which had looked suspiciously at Rob from the moment he got off the car.

Welcome my friend – said the mayor in a friendly, jolly kindda way. I’ve been expecting you, I knew you wouldn’t let me down. Besides, if you hadn’t come, I would have sent my people to hunt you down and kill you – the mayor said seriously, then waited for a few seconds with a room full of silent people and then he laughed loudly. Everyone laughed too. George laughed nervously. These are my most loyal collaborators – said the mayor as he introduced them all swiping his hand. And this is Rob Spencer – the mayor said patting him on the back – a real artist you know – he added.

Everyone excused themselves from the room as the mayor gave them a certain look which everyone recognized in an instant, leaving the three all alone. We bury it tomorrow and I already made arrangements for my nephew to attend the best schools in the state. He’ll make a great politician and with my secret support, he’ll make a great mayor of this city. It will be him who takes this time capsule out of the ground or my name isn’t Samuel Smith – he said standing up straighter than usual and a lot of pride in his voice.

And he did.

I’m really proud to be here standing in front of you dear citizens. And even prouder to be the one who removes this time capsule from the ground. As you may all know, it was my uncle Samuel, former mayor of this city, the one who put it here fifty years ago. It’s him I have to thank for encouraging me all the time to become what I am now – said the mayor in his speech. Then quickly proceeded to open the hole on the ground with help from the city workers. Flashes all over and murmurs of anxiety from the curios citizens eager to know what they were going to extract.

It’s out now! Let’s proceed to opening it! – said the mayor enthusiastically with the capsule on top of the booth. And he did…

To this day no one knows what caused such big explosion. Unknown materials were used in the making and no fingerprints were ever found. Not a single person attending that event can tell a story of survival. But to this day, people watching on TV still remember that close up showing the reflection of fear in the mayor’s eyes and a countdown on his glasses.

October 09, 2020 03:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.