0 comments

Romance

Third Person’s POV


This was supposed to be the happiest day of her life, the day that was supposed to be hers. A day she has been imagining since she was just a child, planning every detail perfectly, even going as far as to plan whom she will marry.


It’s a beautiful wedding with the theme of pink. The decorations and even the dress of her maid of honor, her sister, were in the shade of pink.


Everyone’s jaws dropped as she walked down the aisle, they were all in awe seeing the bride in the gorgeous white gown which matched to the pink bouquet in her hands.

The groom, with his tuxedo and bowtie, looked behind him, gazing at her beloved, reaching out to her as her father brought her to him. “You look even more beautiful today.” He told her, smiling.


‘I can see in your eyes the love you have for her, the love that I longed for, the love that I know I will never have. You’re the person in my fantasies; the person I dreamed of being with for the rest of my life but now, you’re standing in front of her with that smile on your face and all I can do is to watch, regretting my actions, thinking that maybe, maybe in another life, you’d be mine.’ She thought.


The priest started talking, indicating the start of the ceremony and she can’t help but look at him and wonder if she did the right thing.


 “Everything began when I asked your sister to introduce me to you and,” I hoped that she would get jealous and say no but, “she did.” He said as he read his vows to her. Everyone’s attention are on him, listening to every word he’s saying.


‘Would everything be different if I refused when you asked me to introduce you to my sister? If I did, will I be the person you love? Will I be the person standing in front of you right now? That today, the day of your union, the day you will promise to love and care for each other for the rest of your lives, will it be mine?’ She thought.


“I thought a lot about you after our first meeting,” thinking of telling you what I couldn’t say to your sister. “Then came our first date and our first kiss,” where I imagined your sister instead of you, “and the rest is history.”


I keep on thinking of how things would be if I told you everything, if I told you how I feel every time you enter the room, if I told you how I felt, that I fall every time you smile at me but I can’t take up the courage to do so. I can’t break my sister’s heart to get my happiness, just to be broken afterward.’


“A few months ago you proposed to me and,” I couldn’t refuse because our friends and family were watching so, “I said yes.” He stated.


‘My sister told me it was a dinner but it turned out to be her proposal. I wanted to leave as soon as she told me what was happening. Just the thought of the both of you being together broke me, who knows how I would react when I hear your answer.


The good thing is that I held it together, I’ve been so good in hiding under a mask from all the pain that I had experienced that no one even notices, even you.’


“I want to tell you that,” these are the things that I’ve been wanting to tell your sister, “I’ve never met someone as charming and beautiful as you, you make me smile whenever I see you and I’m so crazy about you.” He said as he looked at her.


‘You’re looking at me as you say those words as if you’re pertaining to me but I know that you’re not, I know that you love my sister very much.’


“I,” will try to; “love you,” more than I love your sister.


“I believe that you have something prepared too,” the priest said to the bride. She smiled in response and started saying her vow.


“My sister has gotten everything she wants but,” I know that she wants you so, “I got you, her best friend.” She said, and the guests laughed in response.


‘According to Madeleine L’Engle, a good laugh heals a lot of hurts. Maybe that’s why I’m laughing, because I’m so desperate to get rid of the pain.’


“Thanks to her,” I finally have something that she wants, thanks to her, “I have you.”


‘Gratitude, gratitude’s supposed to make you happy and glad but why am I hurting so much?’


“I know I’ve been talking too much about my sister, that’s because,” I want her to feel the pain; I want her to feel how I feel every time she outshines me and that, “she’s the reason for all of these.”


‘She just made me realize that I’m the reason for all of these, the reason for their marriage, the reason for my own pain.’


“You make me so happy,” because of how much pain you’re inflicting to my sister, “I hope that you’re with me for the rest of my life. I love you so much and,” I know that you love my sister and that she loves you too, that’s why, “I won’t let you go, no matter what.”


‘I want to be happy for the both of you, my best friend, the person I thought I would marry and my sister. Maybe I’d get over you but I know myself, I’d just hide how I feel, even if it hurts so much.’


“You may now kiss the bride,” the priest said and the bride closed the distance between the two of them. “You’re married,” he priest said once again and everyone in the church cheered while she stayed quiet for that’s where it hit her, that’s where she realized that by then, it was too late.


November 18, 2020 11:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.