0 comments

General

Sam had been busy getting adjusted to his new environs. He had moved to a new island-country for a two-year stint on an overseas assignment. Through the week he was busy with his work. He was also working out details of his accommodation. It was his first weekend here. He had no friends outside of his workmates. This was his first time outside his country, and he took his time to get accustomed.

                                                           On Saturday, he rested well. Getting up, he made a cup of coffee for himself. He enjoyed the coffee and then went for a walk. “Where is the nearest church? “Sam wanted to know. He wanted to go to worship the next day, the Lord's Day. He tried asking some neighbours, most of whom weren't Christian. They pointed him out to the neighbouring cathedral. He saw many such cathedrals and churches with ornate decorations all over the island. But all of them were Roman Catholic sanctuaries. He went to the nearest one and peeped in. He found the notices in French, the one language he didn't know. A little English notice told him that the masses will be in French and Latin, as per the schedules, every Sunday.

                                                           Flummoxed, Sam went back to his accommodation. He tried hard to get a Protestant worship place on that island. He used the internet search engines and maps. Finally, he found one such place. Happily, he traced it. It was about 4.8 km from where he stayed.

                                                           He didn't have a car as yet, and so was wondering how he could go. Found directions to that place. "Maybe I can walk it," he thought. He was a middle-aged man with a paunch, being obese. Many a time he tried to start an exercise regime but failed to persevere.

                                                           On Sunday, the Lord’s Day, Sam looked out from his window. It was a clear day with a lovely deep blue sky. The temperature was suitable for a walk, though it was humid too. But Sam set out earnestly. He was thinking of Sam Gamgee and Frodo Baggins of the Lord of the Rings, as he looked at the map he had printed last night. He walked, taking all the right turns. It was a little hard after about 3.5 km. But he persisted. Sam didn’t find any cafes on that way, where he could pause for a drink of tea. Wanting to reach the Church in time, he continued to walk. “Will they welcome me in this church?” he wondered.

                                                           He thought of his home church in his country. He was often the one who would talk to newcomers and help them out, take them to the refreshment stall. Wondered if anyone else was doing it there today. He came up to the church and paused for some time. He prayed silently, "Heavenly Father-God, be with me and bless me as I enter your sanctuary. Help me gel well with my brothers and sisters here at your house. May our worship and fellowship glorify your name. I ask in His Name, Amen."

                                                           As he was completing his prayer, one young man accosted him, “Have you come to the Church, friend? Welcome. I am Johann, an ex-pat from Australia, teaching at a school near here," he drawled. “I am Sam, also an ex-pat, from India, am teaching at medical school,” replied Sam as he shook hands. Johann led him in. "Well, brother Sam, we are a little early for worship, would you like to have a cup of tea?" asked Johann as he led Sam to a little kitchenette.

                                                           "Sure, I will have," replied Sam as he thanked God for this provision. "Our Lord grants even such small requests of ours even before we ask," he thought. They were having their tea when a burly man appeared. Hugging Johann fondly, he said, "Welcome, my dear Johann! Whom do we have here?"

                                                           "Thank you, Pastor Charles," replied Johann, "May I introduce our brother from India, Sam. he was just walking into Church when I met him this morning."

                                                           Pastor Charles looked at Sam lovingly. He shook his hand warmly and said, "Welcome to our church, Brother Sam. You are always welcome to come and worship with us. Are you living close by?"

                                                           They all finished their tea and went into the worship hall. Meanwhile, melodious music was drifting by as the worship team were practising. Sam was very grateful. He sat down in the pew. Bowing his head, he thanked the Lord for listening to his prayer. He felt accepted and eager to worship in this sanctuary with these brothers and sisters.

                                                           The worship was led by a young team. Accompanied by a piano, saxophone and guitars and drums, they sang with all their hearts. The entire congregation sang along with all their hearts. Sam was looking alternately at the worship team and the worshippers in the pews. He also was singing with all his heart. The lyrics were projected to a side screen and all could sing.

                                                           One lady called Miriam then took over and helped them all pray intercessory prayers. On the backdrop, Sam saw the flags of about 25 nations. He was proud to see his own country’s flag up there too. She mentioned prayer needs from all those countries and made them pray for them.

                                                           One young lady from South Africa came to read the Bible lesson in a crystal clear voice with a twang. Sam was enjoying all this.

                                                    Pastor Charles came to preach. There was utter silence as he took the stage and started preaching. Starting with a humble prayer, Charles gave them a preview of his sermon and then proceeded to his main points. Sam listened entranced. He got his tab out and made some notes too. Felt that he might want to read these points again. Charles ended his sermon with a passionate plea inviting those who are yet to be saved sinners to come to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

                                               There were a few announcements and the service ended with a benediction. All of them moved to the courtyard to have fellowship. There were a lot of eats and tea and coffee to have. Sam took some biscuits and a cup of freshly filtered coffee, without sugar, as he liked it. He was deep in conversation with Lata, who seemed to be the only other Indian there.

                                               “Yes Sam, I come from the southern state of Tamil Nadu in India. My husband has a business here with some software products. My little ones and I stay at home. I do some home-schooling and help him out too as he works from home,” Lata said.

                                               She introduced him to her husband Paul and her little ones too. Paul said, “Hey Sam, do come and visit us next weekend.”

                                               Johann came up to Sam and asked him where he lived and offered to drop him home. Sam was thankful to God for the way He arranged everything so perfectly for his servant, “Thank you Lord!” he whispered as he sat in Johann’s car on the way home. He shared briefly about his experience with Johann.

August 25, 2020 13:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.