The Day The Stranger Came To Our Town

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship Holiday

It was a quiet day in my little home town. Circumstances had taken me away when I was very young but when I retired, I came back to my roots. When I left, the population was just over five hundred but that had dwindled to about half. Old ones had died and young one preferred to leave for the big cities. Some came trickling back and others like me, came back in retirement but we were few. We were not enough to bring back the hey-day of our little community called Old Mill Run. There used to be a decent sized stream running north to south at the edge of town and was perfect for the grist mill. Now the remains of the mill were barely noticeable on the banks of the dried up stream. In a disagreement between the mill owner and the farmer who owned land down stream, the town dammed off the stream at the north edge of town. The stream changed its path and now ran south a few miles away from Old Mill Run causing the mill to shut down and be left to decay. The farmer suffered loss of his crop and his cattle, so moved away. 

As seems to be the norm for a small town, everybody knew everybody else and most of their comings and goings. Women gossiped over the back yard fences and Gloria’s Beauty Salon or Barr Brothers Grocery Store aisles while men related the latest who was sleeping with who tales as they partook of draught beer at The Inn, the town’s only bar and restaurant or in Smitty’s Barber Shop. Today was a typical, quiet, hot summer’s Saturday so conversations were many in the indoor gossip mills. It was too hot for back yard fences and working in the fields on this last Saturday in June so all but the children were indoors. The children were playing in the shade of the park adjoining the school a block from the main section of town. The main section of town was the bank, gas station/tractor sales and the four businesses. Clothing and all other necessities were purchased in the county seat ten miles from town. Twice a year families traveled there to buy clothes or when they needed see a doctor. They also patronized the movie theater often on Saturday nights. 

Conversations were more about the upcoming Fourth of July weekend than the usual gossip. The town would have its annual parade of ex-military, boy scouts and girl scouts marching from the town hall to the cemetery. This year, rumors were that there would be the first ever float as well. No one had any idea what the float would be or who was going to pull it, so speculations were many. Some thought it was a great improvement while others thought it as a waste of money, time and materials. Discussions were beginning to be heated as the weekend came closer.The door to The Inn opened and all heads turned to see who was late in joining the discussion. 

No one recognized the tall figure surrounded by sunlight in the doorway. The man was dressed in a seersucker suit, a starched white shirt and a tie painted with unusual signs. He had removed a Panama hat he now held at his side. As though oblivious to the silence, he strolled to the bar and ordered a beer. He placed his hat on the bar as he sat on the only empty stool. When Mike, the bartender, brought the beer the stranger asked if the Town Hall was open or would he have to wait until Monday for a parade permit? Mike looked out over the tables before answering. Yes, he could apply for the permit today as another figure silently went out the door. The stranger paid for his beer and finished it in two gulps then left. 

Now The Inn was really abuzz. Who was this man and why would he want a parade permit? Is he tied to the float in some way? They could hardly wait until Sid, the mayor, came back. Conversations resumed but everyone was more focused on the door than what was being said, The few old maids took turns going to the restroom to make sure their makeup was perfect, their hair absolutely in place and their clothes were without a wrinkle in hopes of catching the eye of this stranger.  

After what seemed like hours but was really less than a half hour, the door to The Inn again opened. Sid came in followed by the stranger. They went to the end of the bar in the front of the room and turned to face the customers. Sid spoke, “I know all of you are dying to know why this man wanted a parade permit. Well, let me introduce the grandson of the mill owner who gave our town its name. Jack has a story for you that will explain the parade permit.”

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. My name is Jack Harry Mills. My grandfather was Jack Mills and Harry was one of his brothers. When my grandfather abandoned his mill and left town, he thought everything was over for him. He was penniless and knew no trade that could land him a job so he went to his brothers, Jake and Harry. They had prospered well with their farms and welcomed him back to the the fold. He soon found a job at the grist mill in their town and saved every penny he could. When he had enough, he purchased a small farm of his own and rented it to tenant farmers. One of his brothers had attended a circus show in a neighboring town and loved what he saw. He talked to his brothers and they went to see the show. That is when they learned the circus was for sale. Between them they had enough money to buy it but had no knowledge of how to run a business. My grandfather had the business knowledge they needed so they purchased the circus. You may remember the Mills Brothers Circus as they renamed it. Had he not left here, he would never had enjoyed his new life and business. Another circus was up for sale after the death of its owner so they bought it and increased their show. Grandfather invested much of the profits and all three brothers were now wealthy. When they wearied of the travel, they sold the circus for a very nice profit and again invested it. Our families have carried on the tradition of buying and selling businesses then investing the profits. I decided to honor the town that started it all with an old fashioned circus parade performed by the Ringling Brothers Circus. I arranged the parade with them before their last show on May 21, 2017. It will not be the complete circus but I think you will like it anyway.

On the Fourth of July, the parade will go through the downtown section to a field on the site where my grandfather’s mill used to be . I now own that property. After the circus leaves, I will rebuild the mill from the original plans my grandfather left us and use it as a memorial to him within the amusement park I will build on the property. One of my plans is to restore the stream to its original path on that land. It will be smaller but it will flow past the mill just enough to turn the wheel as it did during grandfather’s time though it will not be grinding anything. There will be no worry of the farmer below the mill because I also own that land now and will be living in the new house I will have built there for my family. I am impatient to become a citizen of this town. I hope this will prosper Old Mill Run as leaving it prospered my grandfather.”

The crowd was silent until Sid spoke for them. “Thank you, Mr. Mills. No words can express our gratitude for what you have planned. I am sure it will return prosperity to Old Mill Run. We look forward to the parade and circus but we look forward to the amusement park even more. Our town has been dying for too long. You are offering new life for it. One day we will have two statues in our town square to honor you and your grandfather. One helped found our town and the other saved it. Again, we thank you and look forward to the parade and circus next week. Sam, a round of drinks for the house to celebrate our new future and our newest citizen! Welcome to Old Mill Run, sir,” 

May 31, 2021 19:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.