0 comments

Horror Coming of Age Thriller

For years I’ve gotten used to the fact that nobody could see me. 

I was like a ghost.

I was an invisible boy.

I couldn’t remember a time where the people I saw—could see me, nor could I remember anybody having spoken directly to me. Nobody knew I existed.

Actually, the only things that could feel my presence were the wind that brushed against my transparent cheeks, or the sun that hit my unseeable skin. The elements of this earth were my friends… but that didn’t calm me from the fact that I was still just an invisible boy.

You may be thinking that I am alone. Well, I did a pretty good job at making it seem so. But besides the earth that I walked on, I had a family… a family that seemed to forget me as each day passed.

My family consisted of a mother, a father, and a sister my exact same age. I visited them as regularly as I could… but I never stayed. The pangs of loneliness would hit me hardest whenever I remained in their home too long.

Their house is just fifteen minutes from town, with a beautiful patio and a garden with flowers so vibrant and lush its evident that their caretakers knew how to keep them healthy. My mother ran a small flower shop in town, which explains why I was welcomed by the sight of towering sunflowers. When I stepped inside, I was immediately hit with the sweet scent of burning candles. Depending on the time of year, the candle's scents would change. In autumn, it would be pumpkins and fall related products—and in the summer, it would be the beach and flowers. My father works for a candle company that is also stationed in town. Both my parents are talented in what they do, and their jobs have allowed them to include a distinctive identity to the house, which can be seen through the flowers and candles. 

My sister, Allison, just started the fifth grade. I see her come home with a bright smile on her face, excited to report the elementary school-drama to her parents. Allison was such a kind and loving person. The pangs of loneliness would hit me when I realized that if I weren’t invisible then I could be with her at school. We would grow old together, as brother and sister, and I wouldn’t live a life where I was watching my family grow older. 

Regardless of the sorrow and loneliness I experienced on a daily basis, there were good things about my life. I could do impossible things without worrying about any repercussions. For example, I overheard some children my age talking about missing treasure at the bottom of a small lake a couple miles in town. Of course, I was aware that children often tend to fabricate the truth, but that did not stop my growing curiosity. 

When I was alone, I went to the lake where this treasure was supposed to be, and dove inside to find it.

I swam all day and all night. The coldness of the water—the lack of oxygen—even the large freshwater fish did not bother me. My mind was focused on finding this supposive treasure… and if I had a purpose, it was to find the treasure.

On the third day of searching, I found nothing. Feeling both unaccomplished and disappointed. I thought of how I could warn these children that their treasure was not real.

I was not sure how I could warn them, but one day I saw them swimming at the lake and decided to grab a stick. The stick was too heavy for me, so I instead drew on the sand so they could see my message. No matter how many times I drew the words TREASURE NOT REAL, they did not seem to notice. That, and the fact that I was unable to write anything at all.

Since then, I felt as if I had no purpose… But my life took a sudden turn when I found out that Allison and I were to be expecting a new sibling into our family.

I was thrilled to have another family member! My mother told Allison that she should expect the baby in just a few months… which would make the baby born in October. My favorite time of the year! Even if I could not jump in a pile of leaves, or dress myself in a Halloween costume, I always enjoyed the color change and the cold temperature.

One day in October, I took a walk around town. I enjoyed looking at the fall decorations vendors put in front of their stores. 

I overheard the townsfolk talking about the new baby; mind you, its a very small town and everyone is closely connected with each other. That, and the fact that everyone in this town knew my parents. You can imagine the news of a family expecting a new baby to be exciting for them. This was how I received my news, since I could not directly ask anyone the many questions I had about his baby.

There was a baby shower planned just a week before Halloween. I was not technically invited, but I felt that since I was a member of this family, I was allowed to come anyway. I mostly kept my distance from people. My invisibility made sure one would have noticed me at the party, but I wanted to give them space.

People played games, they laughed and talked, and I watched as my mother opened presents for the baby. I was not sure what most of them were, considering that I had never seen them before, but I figured they were what people gave to parents expecting a baby. I also noticed that Allison seemed more quiet than usual. I went up to her and sat beside her on the steps leading up to our house.

“It’s like they’re replacing him,” Allison said. “Forgetting about him…” 

I felt astonished that she spoke just as I had arrived. It was almost as if she knew I was here… 

I wanted to speak to Allison—to ask her what she meant. But, I could not. I was the invisible boy, after all. 

Allison hid her face in her hands and began to cry. I had no idea why; I thought this was a time to celebrate and enjoy… Why was she suddenly so sad?

Allison was called away a short time later, and as she left, I went to find my mother. I searched through the crowds of people until I could find my mother. She wore a bright yellow blouse and her hair was fixed in short curls. Her stomach had a large hump, like that of a camel. As I watched her smile and eat some cake, she suddenly grabbed her stomach and her mouth opened into a round O. 

“The water broke!” she announced, and set her plate on a nearby table.

My father rushed to her side, and in that small announcement, people were running all over the place. I could not see either of my parents through the crowd of people, and was left in utter confusion towards what was happening. I tried looking for my sister but I could not find her either. 

I remained where I was… invisible… almost as if I did not belong in my own home…

The noise of a car engine started and I turned to see my parents rushing their vehicle. My father waved goodbye and they sped off without a word of explanation.

As the sight of their car vanished, I turned to see Allison with our aunt. People were already cleaning up from the party. I felt so useless… I could have done something to help… I did not want to be invisible. 

I began to feel the pangs of loneliness again.

Later that night I stayed inside the house, hoping to hear any news of what had happened earlier at the party. From what I could make out between what my aunt knew and what they have reported to Allison, my mother was in the hospital and she was currently in labor. I did not know what either of these things were. I do remember from a children's book my sister had that a hospital was where people went when they were sick. I was curious if my mother was sick… She looked so happy and healthy earlier that it could not have been possible!

Could it have been possible that the baby made her sick?

Maybe that was why Allison felt vexed at the baby’s birth. 

A week passed and I felt as if I learned nothing from the situation. There were times where Allison felt excited about having a new baby brother… then angry and frustrated at her parents for the very same reason! She was like an enigma, and I tried to understand why she felt this way. I followed her everywhere she went, like a ghost following their loved one. I cursed my invisibility, and wished I could speak to Allison… or my parents… or anyone.

I felt completely alone, despite the fact that I was part of a family… 

A family that seemed to forget me… 

Just before Halloween, my parents had returned from the hospital. I sat beside my sister on the couch, anticipating their arrival. 

The doors swung open, and to my astonishment, I saw my mother carrying a sleeping baby in her arms. Both she and my father wore bright smiles on their faces. They welcomed my aunt and Allison. I watched from the side, feeling a smile on my face as well. I tried to catch a glimpse of the baby but he was covered from the blankets wrapped around him.

“Can I see him?” Allison asked, her eyes bright with excitement.

My mother nodded and lowered her arms. “He’s sleeping, so be quiet.”

Just as Allison looked to her new baby brother, a cloud of sadness washed over her face and dampened her mood. 

“What is it, honey?” my father asked, noticing the sudden mood change.

“Does that mean we’re replacing him?” Allison asked, her voice as sweet and innocent as the new baby.

“Replacing who, honey?” my mother asked.

As if this question triggered her, Allison’s jaw dropped and she charged for her room, shutting the door behind her.

My father rushed to her room. My mother’s and aunt’s eyes were wide with shock. I too was curious what brought forth this sudden change, and who they were referring to in their brief conversation. I felt like my question would be answered if I went into Allison’s room to hear their conversation.

As I stepped inside, I felt as if I were invading their privacy… regardless of the fact that I was invisible.

“What happened out there, sweetie?” my father asked, sitting beside Allison in her bed.

My sister did not answer. Her face was buried in her palms, and her body moved from her silent sobbing.

“Honey, talk to me.” My father moved an inch closer to her, and wrapped his arm around her.

“Did you and mom forget about my brother?” Allison asked, looking at him with eyes filled with tears. 

The cloud of sadness that Allison had experienced was what my father felt after she had asked this. 

“Of course not,” my father answered. “Has that been upsetting you?”

I listened curiously, for I had never recalled hearing about a brother that was not the one my parents had just brought home.

Allison nodded, and wiped a tear from her cheek.

“You were so young when it happened, honey… But we would never forget that the day you were born, so was your twin brother… only, he didn’t make it. By having another brother that doesn’t mean we’re replacing him… you understand that, right?”

Allison shook her head.

Had there been a brother she had before me? I wondered about this while they spoke.

“I still feel like he’s with me,” Allison commented. “Like, his spirit is with us, even if he was just a baby when he died…”

“I feel the same, sweetie,” my father replied.

I watched in horror as both my sister and father turned towards my direction, almost as if they could see me…  

October 29, 2021 04:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.