0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

The influx of immigrants to the west namely the United States and Canada where people came from many societies brought their cultures and traditions and joined local communities. One particular place up North where the four seasons throughout the year is experienced, a group belonging to Southeast Asian heritage joined a multicultural organization where the occasion is called Multicultural Fair. There were tables where different nationalities displayed their wares, native costumes and mostly their favorite foods inviting people to satisfy their palate but the host country town is seemingly refusing afraid of suddenly gulping what they haven't tasted before. Some nationalities maybe familiar to that kind of food only it was cooked differently so they try to taste that dish. In this particular occasion where one participant was invited brought a group of dancers from her country named Violy was noticed by another participant named Cristy and they became friends. They were excited about the performances of the Asian dancers. Violy and Cristy met other ladies. They didn't know they were members of an organization of the country where they came from. Violy and Cristy planned to join the next Multicultural Fair again and they invited the same professional dance performers to perform before a big crowd sponsored by a well known local town organization. Violy and Cristy didn't know that the ladies one of them named Dora they met before also planned to present their own dances and brought their own tables to display their wares native crafts and food. That was the order of their president so that their organization will be recognized in the community not Violy and Cristy who is only a small group besides they are not a registered organization. When Violy arrived at the fair Dora and the other ladies who are members of the organization took their tables and chairs and told Violy that they are a registered organization while Violy and Cristy's group were not. When Violy called Cristy she narrated what happened and Cristy told her to keep calm." We were invited to join by the host sponsor of this Multicultural Fair and they will give us a replacement" she said to her. Violy and Cristy were really interested to promote their culture and again Violy suggested to Cristy to join a bigger event. That event was held in another place but the organization was able to follow them. Because of their astounding performance they were given a special award. Their beautiful and elaborate costumes highlighted the affair where there was a TV crew who documented it. Beforehand the president contacted Cristy to take over but Cristy refused having spent money and effort and it is not easy to let it go. The president didn't even asked how much has she spent, Cristy shrugged her shoulders thinking if it is an offer or showing power over her that she would give in but no Cristy stood firm to her decision. The more Dora and the president including the ladies of the organization tried to pursue Violy and Cristy's group and question why they cannot get an award even if they polished their performances. The president of the organization thought of another strategy. She asked Violy and Cristy to join their organization. Cristy refused to join knowing that she will be taken advantage only receiving orders from them. Violy accepted a position they offered to her. Cristy is already satisfied of the award they had received and that was also her wish that the organization will get the award she received. Violy tried to convince Cristy to join and attend their meetings and free tickets to their events but Cristy joined another organization as a volunteer. Volunteering is a satisfying job wherein she gave her hours to those who are in need in the community. Cristy put her time and effort to what she is doing so her co-volunteers liked what she is doing. She chose to do her best the task assigned to her to fix the children's room for boys and girls, hanging clothes, displaying toys at the Free Clothing Store. There were many items found in the store, books magazines, and children' was local books A man founded this store to help the needy providing personal essentials like bath soaps, toothpaste and others Gently used clothing for adults male and female, for kids from infants to teenagers. Shoes of all sizes were there too. It was noticeable Cristy was doing very well when the Manager told her to get anything she wanted or needed from the store. Not all volunteer stayed but Cristy was kept showing how to display everything, hanging and displaying kid's stuff at the store. She didn't hear anything from Violy at all since she avoided any conflict with the organization. The only thing she knew the Multicultural Fair is no longer sponsored by the big local organization having problems with the different participating nationalities losing control of what they are supposed to do and lost their goals why would it still continue? Cristy was given another special award of her volunteer work giving her time to visit residents at the Nursing Home and sing for them. She also joined a Senior Idol Singing Contest at the Annual Presentation in different venues like the Lakeshore Community Center, at the City Hall she was able to garner 5 third runner-up star plaques mounted in wood and five CD's of their whole performances with other participants during their performances. These activities made Cristy very busy. She learned from unnamed sources Violy left the town and moved to another place since she was not able to duplicate what she did with Cristy to get an award so that the president will get recognized in the community. She was pestered what the organization was doing to her. What the president doing to her might be some sort of losing control over her. Violy and Cristy parted ways because the president lured Violy to join her organization but only for the purpose to control their actions with Cristy not to be recognize promoting their culture instead it would be hers. Cristy was able to form a children's group to perform at Nursing Homes sponsored by three organizations with church volunteers to bring them to their respective locations. The residents were entertained to see their performances accompanied by two church group choirs. The mayor came to watch their performances and they were invited to his party held at the city hall. Parents were there to watch their children perform their native dances and even the local children were asked to participate. The more Cristy received another recognition from the mayor with a plaque of recognition. When the president of the organization heard about this she can no longer do anything at all being afflicted with an illness she said is hard to identify. Is this not the result of being too aggressive to the members of her organization who cannot exercise their own ideas to pursue their goals for the good of the members in conjunction to promote their culture and to serve the community as well? Did the president lost control of herself to lead them? If Cristy joined them, did it make a difference to the organization? Undoubtedly Cristy was not able to unleash her exceptional qualities to serve others and the community due to the president's greed of power and recognition and everything is stalled now that she got sick she must give way to someone who is going to lead.

January 25, 2023 22:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.