WHAT IF

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

4 comments

General

Have you ever felt a pounding and stomping sound in your heart? Thump! Thump! Your heart goes then the temperament changes to bam! Bam! Bam! 

That moment when it feels like your heart will burst and fall right on the floor, right in front of everyone. You can feel the sweat dripping down both sides of your face. In that moment, you silently pray that no one is watching or paying close enough attention to your nervousness.

Dear reader that is what I felt minutes before my presentation. At that very moment, the only sound I could hear was of my beating heart.

Miss Wilkins our literature teacher had given us an assignment the past week. It was a three in one question; what do you think is/was/can be the greatest achievement of humanity? All you had to do was chose which part of the question you wanted to address. The assignment had taken up my whole weekend. It was worth though because it would contribute to my end of year final mark.

Kat was almost done with her presentation; I knew I was up next. My head felt lighter by the second, I felt like collapsing right there and then.

‘Thami you are up next; please get ready and head upfront’ Miss Wilkins said.

My heart was now on full blast as I stood up on wobbly legs and made my way to the front of the class.

Clearing my throat, I began:                                                          

“Aheem good morning everyone, I will be presenting on the greatest achievement of humanity, what can be the greatest achievement of humanity? I said with a shaky voice.

The snots that followed my statement did little to calm my nerves but I knew I had to continue.

‘So uumh have any of you ever wondered what the world would be like if it was encompassed by love?’  A resounding laughter followed my question.

‘I mean think about it, really think about it, imagine it and envision it. Although I cannot say the same thing for everyone, I think all of us in this room have things, objects or people that we value and cannot imagine living without.’

‘It could be a pet, a girlfriend, a parent, a friend, a car and some might even say food’. A couple of laughs followed my statement.

‘The point that I’m trying to make is that we love those things dearly or those people. We cherish and treasure those things and try by all means to protect them. Of course we might unintentionally act selfishly, mean or carelessly towards them at times but that does not make their value any less significant.’

‘That is love to me; look at it this way;

‘What if instead of wars we had more peace in the world’?  that is love.

‘What if instead of bullies we had more friends’? That is love.

‘What if instead of black and white we had a universal colour, the colour of love. Imagine it, a blind black or white person from birth, a person who has never seen a single colour in their lifetime growing up in a world that is colourless. When they ask what colour is my skin we are all able to just stand there and tell them you are coloured In love’

‘What if instead of Christians and atheists fighting to prove who is right or wrong, who is a sheep and a goat we just appreciated how unique and different we all are.’ That is love.

‘What if instead of the poor and the rich we had a people instead? That is love.

‘What if instead of clever scientists and dumb religious fanatics or clever religious leaders and delusional scientists we had an open minded people? That is love.

‘What if instead of the ghetto and the surburbs we just had a county? That is love. What if instead of heroes of war we had more advocates of peace? That is love.

‘What if instead of not caring because its our lives, not caring beacause we have rights to do what we want to do with our lives, not caring whether we hurt others in the process because they are ‘too soft’ we cared and appreciated instead?. What if we realised that we don’t live alone in the world and our decisions might affect others? that is love.

‘What if instead of being judgemental about others we were  more accepting and understanding of our differences. That refreshing feeling, just knowing that someone is acknowledging and respecting your ability to make your own decions,that you know what is best for your own life even when they don’t agree with it’, that is love.

‘What if we recognized that each and every one of us is a precious treasure and gem, worthy of enjoying this thing called life?. That is love.

I believe that this can be the greatest achievement for humanity in this generation and the next generation to come, loving and appreciating things around us even when it doesn’t make any sense.”

‘That is quite an interesting proposal Thami, I must confess I did not expect that angle at all.’ Miss Wilkins said

‘Thank you Miss Wilkins’ I replied

‘I never considered love to be a remedy for humanitarian success, interesting theory right there. You may go back to your sit, Betty you are up next ‘ replied Miss Wilkins

‘Oh wait, it seems like we have a question from the audience, What is it your question Bethany?

‘Nice one Tam, could you give us a clear definition of this love of yours. I mean no offense but it felt truly did feel like your presentation was a bunch of examples of a love like no other’ she said.

‘There is always that one student in class, who is hell burnt on making everyone’s life a living hell, who competes with everyone for no reason other than those known to her. Who annoys and is hated by most people  but they do not seem to care’. In my class that was Bethany.

‘How clearer could it get, I had spent the whole weekend working on that thing only for her to make it look like an ill prepared day’s work. I swear I hated this girl, I felt my annoyance levels rising with every minute.’

‘Well then, I think the whole point flew over your head Bethany. You see the point of this ‘love of mine’ I said emphasizing the mine with my hands; was that we can not touch it, it is not tangible, and it’s not a feeling, its necessity for humanity.

The point was the more loveless we become as a human race, the further we drain from achieving great things together. Instead of looking out for one another we are only looking out for our own selfish interests.

We can only go so far as individualists.


‘My point was love is a constant doing word, not just a feeling. It is an action word, always on the move to achieving greater things. If we have love we will be more kind and patient with one another, we won’t ever feel threatened by the greatness of others, and if we have love we will not behave indecently and we will not fail.’

‘That sure shut her up’ I inwardly laughed.

‘I hope that answered your question Bethany’ Miss Wilkins stated.

‘Now on to the next presenter please!’


As I made my way back to my sit a resounding clap followed all the way till I sat down. I felt a swell of pride at having completed my presentation, all the fear that I had felt earlier on had dissipated.

My proposal: all we need is a little dose of love.







July 11, 2020 14:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Greg Gillis
11:29 Jul 23, 2020

I loved the story, though be careful with the typos. There were apostrophes used where it wasn't necessary, the word "it" was missing in a paragraph near the beginning, and there was a spelling error on the word 'because' in one paragraph. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it and truly wish the world could unite in love. ❤

Reply

BATHABILE MTETWA
18:59 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback. Received a similar comment on one of my stories, i definitely need to do a lot of proofreading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
15:41 Jul 14, 2020

Beautiful work! I really like your approach to the prompt.

Reply

BATHABILE MTETWA
19:57 Jul 14, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.